follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Clutch Install/Transmission/Shifting

I installed a Stage 2 Daily South Bend clutch yesterday.
I also put in:
-2.2 L of Motul 75w 90.
-New OEM flywheel
-pivot
-fork

Ever since I first test drove it till now, I have been finding it twice as hard to shift to first gear and ONLY first gear. I can even get Reverse easier. Also, my shift knob goes left (when on neutral) HALF of the distance it goes right (on neutral).

I have gaven it some thought. The only things I can think of is the washer under the shift boot is in the way, or was never there to begin with (I dont remember and my pictures didn't cover that portion). I did completely fuck up the rubber boot, and used electrical tape to seal it again, but I don't really think it's that. Could it be the white plastic on the shift?

If youve done a clutch install please chip in or if you're a mechanic wizard as well.

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
toyubie

Drives: none
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You might need to adjust the reverse lockout plate. Gap should be just a **** hair with the shifter in 2nd gear. Make sure it's square too.

See also this diagram to verify the linkage assemblies for the shifter:

toyubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:48 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Sounds like you missed something when reinstalling the shifter. Time to go back in and find out what you missed.

When I did my throw out bearing I did everyone from bottom. Taking off the center console was just too much of a hassle.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
ShadowReaper (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyubie View Post
You might need to adjust the reverse lockout plate. Gap should be just a **** hair with the shifter in 2nd gear. Make sure it's square too.

See also this diagram to verify the linkage assemblies for the shifter:

Ok. By the looks of this diagram it, I did have the cotter pin installed facing the opposite way, since it's a pain to get it to face the right way. It shouldn't be the washer according to the diagram and I don't remember seeing bushings any time.

Will need to take off boot and see what it's catching on. It's not an emergency, at least I can get it to first, just kinda ruins the whole point of getting good transmission fluid. Thanks.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
The part in that diagram that is labeled "Shift Lever Cap" has some adjustability to it. It's the part of the reverse lockout. If that thing isn't right it will also sort of lock out 1st/2nd. I had to fiddle with mine when I did my TOB. I verified it was right before putting everything back together.

I took my center console apart because I couldn't get that stupid rubber boot off from the bottom and thought that I could release it from above. What a waste of time that was. Like @Mr.ac said, no need to remove anything from the top.

Next time I am in there to do a clutch, flywheel or TOB the job will be dramatically shorter thats for sure.

Last edited by ermax; 02-13-2018 at 01:23 PM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
The part in that diagram that is labeled "Shift Lever Cap" has some adjustability to it. It's the part of the reverse lockout. If that thing isn't right it will also sort of lock out 1st/2nd. I had to fiddle with mine when I did my TOB. I verified it was right before putting everything back together.

I took my center console apart because I couldn't get that stupid rubber boot off from the bottom and thought that I could release it from above. What a waste of time that was. Like @Mr.ac said, no need to remove anything from the top.

Next time I am in there to do a clutch, flywheel or TOB the job will be dramatically shorter thats for sure.
Thanks for your input. That would make perfect sense if it was the shift lever cap, sine whatever its catching on seems like sturdy metal. I will take a look, tomorrow or thursday.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowReaper View Post
Thanks for your input. That would make perfect sense if it was the shift lever cap, sine whatever its catching on seems like sturdy metal. I will take a look, tomorrow or thursday.
At least you don't have to tare it down too far to get to it. Still a pain though. I got lucky and noticed mine was all messed up before putting everything back together.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post

Brother you hit it right on the head.

I took a look today and playing around with the stick while I had everything taken off till under the foam and it was exactly that piece. Moved it slightly to the left.

thanks again

Old 02-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowReaper View Post
Brother you hit it right on the head.

I took a look today and playing around with the stick while I had everything taken off till under the foam and it was exactly that piece. Moved it slightly to the left.

thanks again

Glad it worked out and wasn’t something bigger.
ShadowReaper (02-15-2018)