follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
MR fking 2!

Since it'll be affordable. I don't think I'll be able to afford a supra. :<

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I love MR2s
Your opinion, which side MR2 to be? Cheaper than 86 or expensive than 86?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
5 years seems like a perfect time to sell my BRZ. :shrug:
But I am passing on the BRZ/FR-S because I already have a Spyder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Your opinion, which side MR2 to be? Cheaper than 86 or expensive than 86?
In 2000 the MR2 Spyder cost almost as much as the FR-S does in 2013 ($23558 vs $24930). I estimate that a lightweight mid-engined sports car will now go around $32K if it steals a lot of parts from the FT86 (suspension, brakes, motor, seats and interior bits). If they go with one of the Scion inline fours and transaxles they might be able to do it a little cheaper but in my opinion that would be a step back evolutionary wise.
@TOYOTA: Please work the bugs out of the FA20 and put it in a 2200LB MR2 Spyder replacement! Pretty Please?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
In 2000 the MR2 Spyder cost almost as much as the FR-S does in 2013 ($23558 vs $24930). I estimate that a lightweight mid-engined sports car will now go around $32K if it steals a lot of parts from the FT86 (suspension, brakes, motor, seats and interior bits). If they go with one of the Scion inline fours and transaxles they might be able to do it a little cheaper but in my opion that would be a step back.
Taking all "back then" stuff out. What YOU want MR2 to be in this view. You want it cheaper or expensive than 86?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Taking all "back then" stuff out. What YOU want MR2 to be in this view. You want it cheaper or expensive than 86?
I'd want what Rampage says, and I guess cheaper than the 86 because I'd rather see the more expensive one be more powerful and have a NA 6cylinder. Strictly just IMHO, of course

Quote:
@TOYOTA: Please work the bugs out of the FA20 and put it in a 2200LB MR2 Spyder replacement! Pretty Please?
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
I'd want what Rampage says, and I guess cheaper than the 86 because I'd rather see the more expensive one be more powerful and have a NA 6cylinder. Strictly just IMHO, of course
That's fine. That's what I wanted hear.

My view, I want to see lightweight 1.6~1.8L FF car to compete w Golf & other affordable compact cars & next MR2 to be a bit expensive side than 86 to compete against Porsche Boxster &/or Carrera.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #21
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
For the consumer, cheaper is always better but I am a realist. Lightweight cost money. Chassis have to be engineered in such a way that they are light but very stiff for a true sports car. Lightweight materials have to be used more extensively. As much as I would like to see a cheap MR2, I just do not think it will happen. I also do not think Toyota should take on Porsche. We need manufacturers that will build exciting cars for the everyday consumer. The German manufacturers have lost sight of that. Hopefully, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan and Hyundai will fill the void in the future.

Last edited by Rampage; 10-10-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
The other thing is that an MR2 has pretty much zero chance of chassis sharing, which makes development a bit more expensive. Hence the Camry motor on the North American NA SW20...

I still have a suspicion that the WRX chassis will be based on the BRZ.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #23
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
For the consumer, cheaper is always better but I am a realist. Lightweight cost money. Chassis have to be engineered is such a way that they are light but very stiff for a true sports car. Lightweight materials have to be used more extensively. As much as I would like to see a cheap MR2, I just do not think it will happen. I also do not think Toyota should take on Porsche. We need manufacturers that will build exciting cars for the everyday consumer. The German manufacturers have lost sight of that. Hopefully, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan and Hyundai will fill the void in the future.
I do agree that lightweight isn't cheap.

That's why my hope for 1.6~1.8L FF will be cheap & fun to drive. Look at current Civic... it's HUGE! That happen to that lightweight Civic that we used to know? It's gone! Yeah, safety & other stuff causes weight... I get it, but still it's total POS!

As for German manufactures have lost sight? IDK, if that was the case, Porsche Carrera S shouldn't of won Best Driver's Car.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
ChrisOkc8

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
AWD Turbo Celica
ChrisOkc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #25
einzlr

Quote:
I do agree that lightweight isn't cheap.

That's why my hope for 1.6~1.8L FF will be cheap & fun to drive. Look at current Civic... it's HUGE! That happen to that lightweight Civic that we used to know? It's gone! Yeah, safety & other stuff causes weight... I get it, but still it's total POS!

As for German manufactures have lost sight? IDK, if that was the case, Porsche Carrera S shouldn't of won Best Driver's Car.
Perhaps what he meant is that, for example, BMW has lost sight of what it was when it gave us the 2002, the E30, and even the E36 - in a world where you had to choose between practical and fun, and between affordable and fun, they brought us cars that were affordable, practical for DD and even family-hauling, *and* were nimble and fun.

And I hear you about the Civic. I look at the current ones and have to really think hard to convince myself that I'm not just dreaming that it really did used to be a small lightweight fun car.

Quote:
That's fine. That's what I wanted hear.

My view, I want to see lightweight 1.6~1.8L FF car to compete w Golf & other affordable compact cars & next MR2 to be a bit expensive side than 86 to compete against Porsche Boxster &/or Carrera.
Haha I think we're actually saying the same thing, just slotting the names in different places. I was thinking the higher-end Boxster/Carrera fighter would be the new Supra and the MR2 would compete with the hot hatches. Either way, yeah, I'd like to see them bring us one in each category, and all of them RWD and focused on being driver's cars.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
Perhaps what he meant is that, for example, BMW has lost sight of what it was when it gave us the 2002, the E30, and even the E36 - in a world where you had to choose between practical and fun, and between affordable and fun, they brought us cars that were affordable, practical for DD and even family-hauling, *and* were nimble and fun.

And I hear you about the Civic. I look at the current ones and have to really think hard to convince myself that I'm not just dreaming that it really did used to be a small lightweight fun car.

Haha I think we're actually saying the same thing, just slotting the names in different places. I was thinking the higher-end Boxster/Carrera fighter would be the new Supra and the MR2 would compete with the hot hatches. Either way, yeah, I'd like to see them bring us one in each category, and all of them RWD and focused on being driver's cars.
I kinda wish Tada-san other other Toyota developers will hold on to making Supra as of right now... Reason? Cuz they already tease about new sports car is in develop and making other ppl wait for those sports car instead of buying 86... which gonna hurt them (kind of). So when they have enough 86 sold and at least have 2nd or 3rd gen 86 out, bring Supra out. They had enough tests using 86 and making it next gen Supra.

but that's just me.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #27
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Im guessing the majority of people when never know about the future Toyota sport cars before they are official.. So not much of a problem..

Why wait for something that might come in 5 years that you may not be happy with?
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #28
einzlr

Quote:
I kinda wish Tada-san other other Toyota developers will hold on to making Supra as of right now... Reason? Cuz they already tease about new sports car is in develop and making other ppl wait for those sports car instead of buying 86... which gonna hurt them (kind of). So when they have enough 86 sold and at least have 2nd or 3rd gen 86 out, bring Supra out. They had enough tests using 86 and making it next gen Supra.

but that's just me.
Haha I should stop using specific names altogether :-P I still think we're saying more or less the same thing. I like the news that they are promising sports cars both above and below the 86. Appeal of the GTI and the Mini notwithstanding, I can't really warm up to a FWD sports car. My DD is FWD, but I do not demand or expect any kind of performance from it. So I'd like to see even the below-86 car be RWD, and even lighter and smaller than the 86, and cheaper, of course. Hmmm... that would be the Elise except for the cheaper part. The car above the 86 should compete with the Big Kids but at a lower price point, sort of how the GT-R and Corvette ZR-1 (and even the Z06) do, but with the famous Toyota reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
Im guessing the majority of people when never know about the future Toyota sport cars before they are official.. So not much of a problem..

Why wait for something that might come in 5 years that you may not be happy with?
Who's talking about waiting? I'm in the camp with the people saying if the new ones stand up to the promises, then I'd trade in the FR-S (which I haven't even bought yet, lol, but I do intend to once I've made room in the toybox and after the dust settles a little on the engine issues).