follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2020, 02:18 AM   #1429
Ultramaroon
posix compliant
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 24,015
Thanks: 35,586
Thanked 23,698 Times in 13,009 Posts
Mentioned: 884 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Or do we? By replacing the springs we now no longer know how many would ultimately fail if the recall didn't happen. It is possible that the longer they were used metal fatigue would have come into play, or cracks would develop along the "bad parts".
The springs that were going to break already did long before the recall was issued. This is part of my disappointment in the corporate decision. The failure data clearly supported the already widely understood engineering principles on the subject.

Basically, whatever was going to break did so within a thousand miles or two. It was an idiotic decision from the very beginning.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
alan.chalkley (01-26-2020), Clipdat (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 05:09 AM   #1430
Payload
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Drives: Raven black manual transmission
Location: New York city
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gm. I'm sorry you guys have had that problem.. I have a 2013 scion frs that I've been driving for almost 7 straight years by July of 2020, I have put over 120,500 miles on my stock FA20 engine, and I haven't had any of those problems.. So far so good, this "valve spring recall defect" is definitely not happening to all 2013 models. I also tuned the engine with an openflash tablet getting over 260hp according to a fuel injector calculator website from where I had bought my "dw 300c" fuel pump.. I had to swap out the old oem pump, that fuel pump needed to be replaced around 92,000 miles, after driving it for like 5 straight years the oem pump began to fatigue.. Oem fuel pumps are expensive from the dealer, it can cost over $500.00.. I only payed approximately $190.00 for this aftermarket deep fuel pump from the www.ft86speedfactory.com website and the spec ratings of this fuel pump product are much higher in flow rate output, the flow rate of this aftermarket pump can supply turbocharged and super charged compressors.. Mind you my car is still running naturally aspirated. No force induction necessary for my alleged horse power gains..

Last edited by Payload; 01-26-2020 at 05:58 AM.
Payload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:15 AM   #1431
tomm.brz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: brz 2017
Location: italy
Posts: 1,097
Thanks: 247
Thanked 350 Times in 291 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
260hp...calculated from a fuel calculator.. yes, no.

If I put AFR 9 in a NA FR-S what does it give, 350hp?
Neither a dyno number is reliable and you trust a website calculator?
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:48 AM   #1432
Payload
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Drives: Raven black manual transmission
Location: New York city
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I meant swap out the old fuel pump. Not "pen" that was a typo error..
Payload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #1433
Payload
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Drives: Raven black manual transmission
Location: New York city
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As for your question with a fuel pump calculator, there's a list of other things that go into this when sizing your fuel pump and knowing about static fuel injector flow rate. I'm sure their values are rather conservative.. . It's not that simple, any one can just plug in random numbers to arrive at a calculated solution, you have to be involved and familar with tunning the car's ecu to get a proper estimate..
Payload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #1434
The Red One
Member
 
The Red One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Drives: 2019 M7Y S-tech RS. City car: GD3
Location: Mtl area - lost on the south shore
Posts: 31
Thanks: 23
Thanked 53 Times in 19 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payload View Post
I meant swap out the old fuel pump. Not "pen" that was a typo error..

Me thinks all of your posts are typo error...
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-28-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #1435
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 58,126
Thanks: 51,445
Thanked 82,650 Times in 37,019 Posts
Mentioned: 2118 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
260hp...calculated from a fuel calculator.. yes, no.

If I put AFR 9 in a NA FR-S what does it give, 350hp?
Neither a dyno number is reliable and you trust a website calculator?
You need to go read the rest of his stuff!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
tomm.brz (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #1436
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: "Olivia" my Firestorm 6AT FR-S
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 13,011
Thanks: 23,382
Thanked 12,969 Times in 6,351 Posts
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
...Basically, whatever was going to break did so within a thousand miles or two. It was an idiotic decision from the very beginning.
I'm no engineer and I haven't read the documents you refer to, but I just can't wrap my head around any business process where this is a plausible decision. Recall 300,000 cars that were all well past the point where they would have failed, incurring a cost of between $200M and $300M for no purpose? (I saw the bill for my repair and it was around $1,500 at retail price)

I'm not saying your wrong, but if you are right then the lawsuit shouldn't be for the ones that failed, it should be from the stockholders of Subaru and Toyota.
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Rampage (01-27-2020), Tcoat (01-26-2020), Ultramaroon (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #1437
tomm.brz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: brz 2017
Location: italy
Posts: 1,097
Thanks: 247
Thanked 350 Times in 291 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payload View Post
As for your question with a fuel pump calculator, there's a list of other things that go into this when sizing your fuel pump and knowing about static fuel injector flow rate. I'm sure their values are rather conservative.. . It's not that simple, any one can just plug in random numbers to arrive at a calculated solution, you have to be involved and familar with tunning the car's ecu to get a proper estimate..
Ah ok, sorry.... they are conservative!
then why not estimate your NA car at 295hp...maybe little more?
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #1438
Ultramaroon
posix compliant
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 24,015
Thanks: 35,586
Thanked 23,698 Times in 13,009 Posts
Mentioned: 884 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'm no engineer and I haven't read the documents you refer to, but I just can't wrap my head around any business process where this is a plausible decision. Recall 300,000 cars that were all well past the point where they would have failed, incurring a cost of between $200M and $300M for no purpose? (I saw the bill for my repair and it was around $1,500 at retail price)

I'm not saying your wrong, but if you are right then the lawsuit shouldn't be for the ones that failed, it should be from the stockholders of Subaru and Toyota.
Yup. Exactly. It's an epic tragedy born out of a single fear-based {add] and possibly with pressure from the nhtsa [/add] business decision
__________________

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 01-26-2020 at 06:05 PM. Reason: see below
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #1439
N234
Senior Member
 
N234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives:
Posts: 178
Thanks: 61
Thanked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Yup. Exactly. It's an epic tragedy born out of a single fear-based business decision.
I thought they were under pressure from NHTSA...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:54 PM   #1440
Ultramaroon
posix compliant
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 24,015
Thanks: 35,586
Thanked 23,698 Times in 13,009 Posts
Mentioned: 884 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N234 View Post
I thought they were under pressure from NHTSA...
Either way,

__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-26-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 02:54 AM   #1441
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER
 
Clipdat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,057
Thanks: 5,672
Thanked 5,630 Times in 3,067 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
The springs that were going to break already did long before the recall was issued. This is part of my disappointment in the corporate decision. The failure data clearly supported the already widely understood engineering principles on the subject.

Basically, whatever was going to break did so within a thousand miles or two. It was an idiotic decision from the very beginning.
Yay, someone who gets it.

My theory is that because they got in so much hot water because of the unintended acceleration stuff years back, that as soon as the Toyota lawyers saw "May cause the vehicle to stall [and lose control]", they shit the bed and screamed RECALL, RECALL, RECALL!

However, it should have been a voluntary recall in all 50 states. Ticking the box for "emissions related" (which makes it mandatory if you want to actually drive it on the road) and fucking over everyone in CA was a big slap in the face. In no way is it in any way an "emissions related" recall. That part is 110% bullshit and only serves to highlight the bureaucracy and horseshit that takes place in CA perpetuated by CARB.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #1442
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: "Olivia" my Firestorm 6AT FR-S
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 13,011
Thanks: 23,382
Thanked 12,969 Times in 6,351 Posts
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
However, it should have been a voluntary recall in all 50 states. Ticking the box for "emissions related" (which makes it mandatory if you want to actually drive it on the road) and fucking over everyone in CA was a big slap in the face. In no way is it in any way an "emissions related" recall. That part is 110% bullshit and only serves to highlight the bureaucracy and horseshit that takes place in CA perpetuated by CARB.
In Subaru and Toyota's defense they were probably giving their mechanics the benefit of the doubt assuming they were capable of doing the job correctly in the first place.

Again, it isn't the recall itself that caused the failure, it was sloppy work on the part of a few mechanics. Had the work been done properly we wouldn't have anything to talk about, it would just be a footnote and we would all be telling folks that were looking at buying a used 2013 "make sure the recall for the valve spring is done on the car".
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Opie (01-28-2020)
 
Reply

Tags
brz, failure, frs, j02, recall

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registry Thread: Failure After J02 Recall DarkPira7e Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 393 01-31-2020 07:09 PM
Is the fad threads ruining our fad threads? Andrew025 Off-Topic Lounge 12 10-04-2017 09:12 PM
CV Joint Failure and Differential Failure AreteAuto Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 26 06-16-2015 05:18 PM
BRZ or FRS (yes, another one of those threads) lisaaaxo FR-S / BRZ vs.... 19 04-11-2015 02:44 PM
Vs. threads.... TwinscrollGT35R FR-S / BRZ vs.... 34 05-22-2012 08:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.