follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The car gods were not kind today

So I was heading out today and at a stop light. Light turned green, proceeded to go and then heard a loud bang. Then the TPMS light came on and I heard the obligatorily flat tire noise. There's a lot of construction going on around my area so I figured it was just a nail/screw. I pull over and get out to inspect the damage to find this instead.

I only have about 2k miles on the stock rims/tires so I think I'll just replace the single tire. I managed to get the spare on and went home and swapped to my winter rims/tires. Luckily, no damage to the car or the rim.

Just to add insult to injury, I tried to pull that piece out with some pliers and the pliers slipped and ended up pinching the palm of my left hand. Yes. . today was a very bad day. Think I'll just stay home and not go out the rest of the day.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
Beyer Subaru (10-24-2013), Byebye (10-24-2013), Dadhawk (10-25-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
muffinz

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Holy cheeseballs batman!

That looks like a jackhammer tip...you should yell at the construction company working on the roads and demand that they pay to fix your tire or sue them for negligence haha
muffinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
cnk

Yeah. . I'd love to complain to someone, but this happened on Rt. 33 so there's no way to definitively say which construction company was responsible. Lots of construction going on where I am now. I'm just glad no one got hurt.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Flippin amazeballs! Thank goodness you and the car are alright.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
cnk (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just glad you are safe.
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vividracing For This Useful Post:
cnk (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Glad it didn't punch the rim too.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
cnk (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Yeah, just be glad nobody was injured.

Many years ago I was in the passenger seat while my gf was driving down the fwy at night. We heard a loud pop then saw a 3/4 steel rebarb right between my legs. It had come through the floor and was protruding about three feet into the cabin. Right between my legs!!!

Luckily we pulled over and I was able to pull it clean through the impact hole into the cabin and out. It was about a 4 foot long steel rebarb that was bent like a letter L. When my gf drove over it the car must have flipped it just enough to lever and rip through the cabin. Let me just tell you I had to check if the family jewels were safe. It literally went through the car seat about 3 inches away from my junk. Not to mention a little closer and further up my head would have in the line of travel.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zoomzoomers For This Useful Post:
cnk (10-24-2013), Shagaliscious (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Yeah, just be glad nobody was injured.

Many years ago I was in the passenger seat while my gf was driving down the fwy at night. We heard a loud pop then saw a 3/4 steel rebarb right between my legs. It had come through the floor and was protruding about three feet into the cabin. Right between my legs!!!

Luckily we pulled over and I was able to pull it clean through the impact hole into the cabin and out. It was about a 4 foot long steel rebarb that was bent like a letter L. When my gf drove over it the car must have flipped it just enough to lever and rip through the cabin. Let me just tell you I had to check if the family jewels were safe. It literally went through the car seat about 3 inches away from my junk. Not to mention a little closer and further up my head would have in the line of travel.
Just fucking WOW... this is movie type stuff!!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
Yeah. . I'd love to complain to someone, but this happened on Rt. 33 so there's no way to definitively say which construction company was responsible. Lots of construction going on where I am now. I'm just glad no one got hurt.
Is that a state route? Call NJ DOT or whomever maintains the roads (if it's a municipally maintained road that is).
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
cnk (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
ProTekk

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
Where about on 33? I know most of the construction companies in NJ and their owners.
ProTekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Just fucking WOW... this is movie type stuff!!
Just thinking about it gives me the chills. The thing came through the cabin so quick it was almost like a flash and bam there it was. So quick that if it had been a few inches back I'd not be here today. Needless to say, my gf was in such a shock she couldn't drive home. The thing came so far into the cabin that if it did come in a few inches back it literally would have gone up my ass into my head so quick I'd probably not felt a thing and probably have died a quick death.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zoomzoomers For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
cnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Is that a state route? Call NJ DOT or whomever maintains the roads (if it's a municipally maintained road that is).
Yeah. . believe it's a state route. I'll give them a call, but not sure I'll get anything out of it other than having to fill out a ton of paperwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTekk View Post
Where about on 33? I know most of the construction companies in NJ and their owners.
In Monroe Township. I was at the light on Butcher Rd. and crossing onto Applegarth. There are a bunch of new construction developments as well as the Wawa going up on that corner so hard to say where the piece came from.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
cnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Thanks again. I submitted an online report and asked if they had a claim form for the damages like they do for potholes. We'll see what they come back with.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
Philly758

Drives: GMC
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
That sucks, but luckily it wasn't worse.

I'm actually headed to North Jersey this weekend and have two spare stock rims with good tires between 1000-2000 miles on them (mounted but no TPMS sensor). Shoot me a PM if you are interested. Not trying to make a killing, but I'd happily sell a wheel/tire for less than you'd be able to source the tire alone for locally.

Maybe you want both so you can have a full size spare for those jersey potholes.
Philly758 is offline   Reply With Quote