follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #43
ImAwesome

Drives: 99' M3, 13' SWP Brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
reminds me of the older turbo celicas
ImAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #44
PhastekSport

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to PhastekSport Send a message via Yahoo to PhastekSport
The whole air intake idea was nixxed for the time being. Not sure if I noted that.
PhastekSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #45
muffinz

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I both like and dislike that oil cooler location...

Like because it'll fully drain for oil changes

Dislike because idk how you're going to eliminate air inside the coil...?

Won't it always be slightly airbound and inefficient?

Also, if it has a fan on it, why not hide it behind the fog lights or somewhere less obvious where u dont need air flow / not atop the hot engine?

Just my 2 cents
muffinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #46
PhastekSport

Keep in mind that I am not a tech around here.

I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I did read up on people using top mount oil coolers for Imprezas and other vehicles that usually come with TMICs.

This excerpt is from a product offered by one manufacturer:

Quote:
B-Line Motorsports has developed a top mounted oil cooler kit that essentially mounts in the same location as the factory intercooler. Utilizing the dead space and scoop created by installing a front mount intercooler; our oil cooler can improve the vehicle’s overall cooling capabilities. The advantage of installing this top mounted oil cooler is the fact that the radiator and intercooler will work more efficiently by having one less object restricting air flow. Many hours were expended in the design of the mounting brackets so that the final product would incorporate the factory mounting holes when attaching the oil cooler to the motor. This type of installation allows the oil cooler to move in conjunction with the motor, resulting in a long life span. B-Line Motorsports has also wrapped certain portions of the oil lines that are near extreme heat, such as the turbo and exhaust manifold, with a lightweight sleeving that withstands radiant heat over 800°F. In testing, oil temperatures were measured to drop 30°F to 40°F. Making this kit the most effective and most efficient kit on the market!
Once the thermostats starts to open up, the oil cooler will fill with oil. Any air should be pushed out as the system doesn't function like the cooling system.

Air should flow through the engine bay and be pulled out the bottom of the vehicle. I'm effectively hoping that the downward flowing air and cool air coming in from the hood vent should also flow out the bottom.

Temperature in Houston have been through the roof until recently. The oil cooler works really well.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #47
PhastekSport

Oil temps only got up to 244F in 80 degree weather. Even with 22 laps (track was only around 1 mi).

20131116-LotusClubTrackFeat86-1542 by VictorN07, on Flickr

20131116-LotusClubTrackFeat86-1719 by VictorN07, on Flickr

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2PKmhaw8h8"]PhastekSport.com - Houston 86 Club (Nov 16, 2013) - Grandsport Speedway - Hitchcock, TX - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDFNeHRjV8E"]PhastekSport.com - Houston 86 Club (Nov 16, 2013) - Grandsport Speedway - Hitchcock, TX - YouTube[/ame]
Old 04-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #48
VictorKassil
[||•(==(86)==)•||]

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to VictorKassil
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhastekSport View Post

Added top mount oil cooler picture.

I think it does work well if modified for a top mount oil cooler. This is right after I installed a setup. Have to go back and wire a relay, tidy up the wires, etc.

NOTE: This oil cooler DOES have a fan. It really sucks :-).
Which oil cooler is that?
VictorKassil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #49
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman View Post
Will the hood clear the Innovate/Sprintex/Bullet supercharger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhastekSport View Post
That's hard to say. I'm not sure I've seen one of those setups in Houston to compare it with.

I think IATs are a little lower. I'm going to have to enlist someone with a similar setup to give me some data.

I put it on the dyno today and with the hood down on one run I actually got a couple more HP but a couple less torque. I'm not a mechanic/tuner so I'm not sure whether or not to attribute this to anything but luck. I rigged an intake to the Vortech, but I think it's going to take more time to perfect the setup.
Any updates on this hood as far as testing and functionality? I would like to know if this will fit with the Sprintex supercharger. How is it with rain? Is there a rain guard option?

Tags
frs, hood, rksport, scoop, xpel