follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
Karl07

Drives: 2012 86 GTS - Storm Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Coil over question.

Hi, I am planning on putting a set of coil overs on but I'm looking at a set of Blitz ZZ-R and I can find precious little on them.
Everyone who uses them seem to say they are good, but none of them are in a 86/brz/frs.
The spring rates are f6/r4 which people say are pretty soft.
What are the standard?
I'm only looking for a mild drop for the wheel gap, a but stiffer ride, less under steer and adjustability when I want to do track/autox.
Hesse normally go for about AUD$1300-1500.
Karl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Xauterus

Drives: GTS 86 Galaxy Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What do you want to achieve? They are a pretty cheap coilover. Good for lowering. If you want better handling I would look the Murray Coote offers. They are designed locally so the spring rates suit our roads etc and you can get them repaired or revalved in Australia.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=murray+coote
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
If you want better handling I would look the Murray Coote offers.
This.
Several people on this forum from Aus have MCA fitted myself included although my impression is most people have gone with the Reds which is more than your budget dictates. Blues are closer to your price range.

You may also like to give this thread (started by yours truly) a read.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ight=objective
The fact that MCAs (as in Murry Coote Australia) are Australian based makes getting help and advice a lot easier if you should ever need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
They are a pretty cheap coilover.
Seriously, a damper with 32x1 way adjustment is a bit of a pointless exercise except for marketing reasons.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Karl07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Seriously, a damper with 32x1 way adjustment is a bit of a pointless exercise except for marketing reasons.
That is what i thought.
Thanks.
I can go to reds...I have a decent budget set for this first stage of mods, however the reason I didn't want to go really top stuff was because I don't do much track at all...mostly mountain runs, etc, and the occasional track.
It just seemed a waste for me in my eyes...but I WAS looking for more than just lowering.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

@Karl07, my suggestion is to give the Cootes a phone call. Either Murry or Josh are happy to chat to people. Tell them what you want for your car* and they will tell you what they think would serve you best. They are not pushy so if they think the Blues would suit your car they will not try to push the Reds on on you. Just set aside a bit of time because both of them (especially Murry) will talk dampers and suspension for ages. Their willingness to chat and the fact that they are local was the deciding factor when i was deciding which bits to get for my car.

*There was a gentleman in the Aus section who ordered Blues. He knew how he was going to use his car and he ended up getting softer springs than usual because he was mainly driving on the street. (I can't remember if he was going to see any track time at all). The Cootes were able to give him the units he wanted.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
@Karl07, my suggestion is to give the Cootes a phone call. Either Murry or Josh are happy to chat to people. Tell them what you want for your car* and they will tell you what they think would serve you best. They are not pushy so if they think the Blues would suit your car they will not try to push the Reds on on you. Just set aside a bit of time because both of them (especially Murry) will talk dampers and suspension for ages. Their willingness to chat and the fact that they are local was the deciding factor when i was deciding which bits to get for my car.

*There was a gentleman in the Aus section who ordered Blues. He knew how he was going to use his car and he ended up getting softer springs than usual because he was mainly driving on the street. (I can't remember if he was going to see any track time at all). The Cootes were able to give him the units he wanted.

+1.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #7
Karl07

Garage
Yeah I will call them then.
I plan on getting the suspension, then wheels and tyres.
Put it all on at once so it's set right.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
those spring rates dont seem particularly engineered. without having any experience personally, i would tell you to look elsewhere simply because the spring rates are those typical ripped off of another car kinda of deal despite the different suspension design. it doesnt mean its bad but its a common trait of under engineered products.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Nameless could have chosen to put any shocks on the planet onto this:

Yet they got some from a shed in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland.

Are they crazy, or do they know something?

Last edited by coyote; 07-13-2013 at 08:35 AM.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coyote For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Pardon? What do you mean by that? One doesn't engineer spring rates (unless one is building/designing springs). One chooses spring rates. I would hardly call 6k springs ,front & rear, overly aggressive and while they are certainly firmer than standard I do not find them at all harsh on the road.

Huh? I don't quite follow. Are you suggesting if more than one suspension manufacturer uses the same spring rate then it is the wrong rate? Your statement doesn't make sense.
The fact that you state "without having any experience personally" doesn't lend much support to your argument. I would suggest you know nothing of MCA's reputation in Australia. Also given that Neal Bates (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Bates) gave a lot of input into the development of these dampers also would contradict your argument.
I assume he's referring to the 6/4 of the blitz dampers, not the MCAs.

- andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (07-13-2013), fatoni (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Ah, *snap*. My apologies fatoni. I did not consider that you were referring to the first post. Your post makes perfect sense now.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
86•BRZ

Drives: 86 GTS
Quote:

That gentlemen was me
I went 5k instead of 6 all round. It wasn't much of a change and is still substantially firmer than factory which for all intensive purposes is fine in a track. I've even had the owner of another reputable suspension place yell me it's very firm (and not out of competition with MCA)
Honestly just go MCA if you're in Aus and also budget for some rear camber correction as it may be necessary.
"Just get them, they are good" @coyote
86•BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
86•BRZ

Drives: 86 GTS
Also get the red series top spring retaining collar with the bearings as an extra. This is well worth it for a street car.
86•BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote