follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2020, 06:40 AM   #1
Ramond

Drives: Challenger
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question for Automatic BRZ owners

Hello everyone,,
Took the BRZ for a fun road rally with friends. I had the car in Sport, Also had the traction control button off via the 6 second hold. Selector in D, Did not have track mode on. I came around a corner going about 50 and the back in slid out and that was fine, I was powering on. It felt like it downshifted to 1st and the rear tires chirped, you could feel the nose dive down like hitting the brakes.
https://showbox.bio/ https://tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.vet/
After that I turned on Track and Sport, didn't do the 6 second hold on the traction control. Didn't experience it the rest of the day.

I wondered since it was traction control off and not track that some of the computer nannies are still in the background. The car thought it was crashing and may the chirp was the ABS braking. Or because the slide with the tires sliding and the downshift went further then next or two gears down.

Kinda weird.

I tried manual shift in the tight stuff, it was ok. Need more torque. When I take the Camaro I just leave it in 3rd the whole time.

Last edited by Ramond; 03-18-2020 at 01:40 AM.
Ramond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramond View Post
Hello everyone,,
Took the BRZ for a fun road rally with friends. I had the car in Sport, Also had the traction control button off via the 6 second hold. Selector in D, Did not have track mode on. I came around a corner going about 50 and the back in slid out and that was fine, I was powering on. It felt like it downshifted to 1st and the rear tires chirped, you could feel the nose dive down like hitting the brakes.

After that I turned on Track and Sport, didn't do the 6 second hold on the traction control. Didn't experience it the rest of the day.

I wondered since it was traction control off and not track that some of the computer nannies are still in the background. The car thought it was crashing and may the chirp was the ABS braking. Or because the slide with the tires sliding and the downshift went further then next or two gears down.

Kinda weird.

I tried manual shift in the tight stuff, it was ok. Need more torque. When I take the Camaro I just leave it in 3rd the whole time.
Even with all of the nannies turned off there is still a very limited level of interference. The ABS system is always on and can not be turned off without pulling fuses.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have a 2013 that does not have a track mode but it does have sport mode. Perhaps you have a newer model with track mode? I dunno.

Anyway, unless they changed something that I am not aware of putting the car in sport mode does nothing in terms of traction, stability control or anything safety related. All it does is make the automatic transmission hold gears long. What you first described is a result of the nannies kicking in which as Tcoat stated they never fully turn off but holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds is the best you can do to get rid of them short of doing something dumb like pulling fuses.

The fact that you did not experience that again despite not holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds is probably because you just didn't push the car that hard again. The only things that alter the traction control/stability control are the "traction control button" located on the far left or the "VSC sport button" located on the far right. The middle buttons (snow and sport) don't affect traction control/stability control. At least this is how it is on my car.

Also, in my car, you cannot have the traction control fully off (by holding for 5 seconds) and the VSC sport mode selected at the same time; it is either one or the other. Holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds will get rid of the nannies as much as possible; more so than VSC sport (button farthest to right).
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Also remember that the AT will hold shifts longer in turns so that the tires don’t lose traction on a shift.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:32 PM   #5
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a 2017 automatic and there are several things to consider when selecting snow, normal and sport mode. Snow mode is typical and will start you out in 2nd and you know the rest. Normal drive mode is optimized for economy and comfort. This mode is default when in cruise control and will always revert when engaging cruise. Sport mode will optimize the shift points to exploit the higher RPM. Try this: drive at 60 MPH in normal mode and shift into manual. You will likely see that you are in 6th gear. Select sport mode and you will notice that it will drop to 5th. You can also see when the torque converter locks when the tach drops very slightly. One of the cool things the sport mode does is to downshift aggressively and rev match when you brake hard much in the same way you would heel and toe on a manual transmission. I often drive in manual to get the revs up to accelerate out of turns, but you can do almost the same in sport mode and let the transmission shift for you. It takes a bit of practice, but if you know it is there, you can get lazy and let the car do the work. I recommend taking the car out away from traffic and go fast and brake progressively harder and make note of how the car downshifts. Imagine that you are coming into the turn fast and braking commensurate with the turn, then coming out of the turn with your foot to the floor. You will find that it drop down a couple of gears to keep the rpms up. You will be surprised how much fun you can have with the automatic. Yeah sure, the BRZ is not a rocket, but in the turns you can have loads of fun. My understanding is that the automatic transmission was intentionally tuned to mimic a dual clutch transmission in the way it shifts. Get up to about 120+ MPH and brake hard, then get on it again. If you aren't already in the right gear, you can get there with a flick of the finger. A friend had a Lexus with a transmission from the same series and you can tell it was tuned for comfort and not sport. Once I figured out how the sport mode worked, I tested how much faster I could go coming out of turn and into the next. It would be nice if the display would show what gear you are in when in automatic and not have to guess. Obviously, when in manual, the display shows what gear you are in and if a lower or higher gear is available with the up and down pointer. Don't forget to set the light and buzzer near the redline on the tach to remind you not to get too crazy. I often tell people who are interested in the car to drive both manual and automatic and honestly assess how and where you will drive the car. Don't underestimate the automatic especially if you are not going to the track and you get stuck in heavy commuter traffic.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flarpswitch For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (03-19-2020)