follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Wwegeru

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
13 FRS Plug and play head unit upgrade

I have a 2013 FRS and I would like to go from the base headunit to a touch screen one. Are any of the other factory options plug and play (I know they arent the best options) The reason I want to goto factory is to retain all the usb and aux hook ups and the bluetooth in the factory location. Which ones will work for me?

Thanks!
Wwegeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
check this sub forum out, these usually classified ads for various oem equipment that should work, and be PnP.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwegeru View Post
I have a 2013 FRS and I would like to go from the base headunit to a touch screen one. Are any of the other factory options plug and play (I know they arent the best options) The reason I want to goto factory is to retain all the usb and aux hook ups and the bluetooth in the factory location. Which ones will work for me?

Thanks!
You can use the factory usb, aux and Bluetooth connections with an aftermarket head unit. You can buy premade harnesses from sources like autoharnesshouse to make the installation pretty much plug and play or pay a pro a few bucks to install it. A decent aftermarket head unit will have significantly better sound quality and added functionality. If you want OEM, that’s fine... I just hate to see folks sticking with inferior factory head units out of fear of the installation process of an aftermarket HU or because they think they will lose factory connections or functionality.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
Chimera (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
Wwegeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
You can use the factory usb, aux and Bluetooth connections with an aftermarket head unit. You can buy premade harnesses from sources like autoharnesshouse to make the installation pretty much plug and play or pay a pro a few bucks to install it. A decent aftermarket head unit will have significantly better sound quality and added functionality. If you want OEM, that’s fine... I just hate to see folks sticking with inferior factory head units out of fear of the installation process of an aftermarket HU or because they think they will lose factory connections or functionality.
Yeah. I understand that. I work in a Kia dealership and one of our reps has an upgrade for the factory screens that gives it CarPlay functionality also. I think it’s the best rout for me I just want to make sure before I buy one that it’ll work.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Chimera

If you want carplay I would recommend the same as @NCtoBRZ. Go with an aftermarket unit, you'll be happier. Better wattage on the internal amp, faster processor, and the dash in these cars was pretty much made for a dbl din aftermarket unit.
just my 2c
Old 04-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Yeah. I understand that. I work in a Kia dealership and one of our reps has an upgrade for the factory screens that gives it CarPlay functionality also. I think it’s the best rout for me I just want to make sure before I buy one that it’ll work.
Your friend at a Kia dealership has an upgrade for factory Toyota/Subaru head units to add CarPlay? Even if that is so, it won’t run as smoothly or sound as good as an aftermarket head unit.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #7
Wwegeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
Your friend at a Kia dealership has an upgrade for factory Toyota/Subaru head units to add CarPlay? Even if that is so, it won’t run as smoothly or sound as good as an aftermarket head unit.
Which one should I get that has a physical volume knob that will allow me to keep the factory mic, aux, and usb?
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
Chimera

Quote:
Which one should I get that has a physical volume knob that will allow me to keep the factory mic, aux, and usb?

try hitting up crutchfield or sonic electronics. retaining the factory mic is an issue as it's a stereo mic, and most (all?) aftermarket units use mono input. if you only care about the look of factory(ish?) then you could go for an internal mic unit.

about the aux and usb, it is possible to re-use the factory part, and wire a aftermarket unit to it. I've done it in fact, but its not worth the time, or the money for the parts. get this and replace it, it will slot in perfectly
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-AX-USB-...aux+usb+toyota

if you need it to fit like factory, you'll want to look into getting one of the kenwood DDX91_ws type units, they are 200mm wide instead of the standard 180 dbl din, which requires spacers to look right.
check out this thread for some info (which is actually a post with a links to a bunch of other posts)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126430

Personally, I recommend the sony xav-ax100 as the current best unit for function to price ratio. has a vol knob, has AA and carplay, does NOT have aux, but tbh how often are you using aux? and its affordable.

final thought, im running a pioneer 4100NEX, they are a bit pricier but are awesome.. it has more features than I ever use.. for example the sd card.. SXM.. rear audio/video channel control. I digress. Shop around, and find something that you think you might like vs having us tell you what to get. also scope out some of the other threads in this section, lots of good posts on various builds and such.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #9
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Chimera pretty much covered it. You can start shopping by simply inputting your car make/model on crutchfield and they will show what head units will fit and you can narrow it down from there based on the features that you want. I had a Pioneer 4100NEX in my last car and I installed a Pioneer 2330NEX in my BRZ. The NEX series have carplay/android auto (I personally use android auto), but they don't have a volume knob because I'd rather have more screen size than take up space with knobs... particularly since my 17 BRZ has steering wheel controls. Retaining my factory USB port was as easy as connecting a cheap $10 adapter cable from the back of the head unit to the existing cable in the car. Similar options are available for the aux port, I used a Maestro RR adapter which retained my aux port, steering wheel controls and adds performance gauges to the head unit. There are threads regarding retaining the factory mic, but as Chimera mentioned you can get a head unit with one built in or in the case of my Pioneer head unit it included its own mic which can easily be hidden anywhere you'd like. If you aren't comfortable installing it yourself, just take your car to an audio installation shop and tell them what you want and they'll make it happen... often for surprisingly cheap prices.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-01-2019)

Tags
head unit, nav, radio, upgrade