follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #29
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Doesn't mean it's not a good car. Looks are questionable, although they're growing on me. Personally I like the EVO x rip off look better than whatever the other wrxs were (with the exception of the 1st gen)
As I like to say...

The 2015 WRX is like that girl you knew who looks good from some angles and fugly from others. But you really like her because she is good in the sack and is not high maintenance and pretty much ready for anything..

I still struggle with the exterior looks and I own one. But the interior is much improved (minus the too high seating position). I can really see myself using this car as a daily driver for a very long time. With performance springs, better sway bars, and a couple manual transmission mods, I am loving how this car handles and shifts so much better now. I still miss the BRZ's razor sharp handling and light RWD characteristics, but the WRX is a blast in other ways and the handling is damn good for a family sedan.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (06-11-2015), raven1231 (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #30
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
As I like to say...

The 2015 WRX is like that girl you knew who looks good from some angles and fugly from others. But you really like her because she is good in the sack and is not high maintenance and pretty much ready for anything..

I still struggle with the exterior looks and I own one. But the interior is much improved (minus the too high seating position). I can really see myself using this car as a daily driver for a very long time. With performance springs, better sway bars, and a couple manual transmission mods, I am loving how this car handles and shifts so much better now. I still miss the BRZ's razor sharp handling and light RWD characteristics, but the WRX is a blast in other ways and the handling is damn good for a family sedan.
Definitely not keen on the seating position either. Did you get the perrin shifter stop? If so what is your opinion on it if you don't mine me asking? Not to derail the thread lol
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #31
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
The seating position is like the only thing I dislike about the new WRX. Other than that, I would love to have one as a second car.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JS + BRZ For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #32
Romanov
Just another BRZ owner

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ View Post
The seating position is like the only thing I dislike about the new WRX. Other than that, I would love to have one as a second car.
Same, most likely i'll end up getting a WRX as a winter car in a few years once i get my finances straightened. For now my SI will have to do
Romanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #33
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Definitely not keen on the seating position either. Did you get the perrin shifter stop? If so what is your opinion on it if you don't mine me asking? Not to derail the thread lol
Perrin shifter bushing and Perrin shift stop are the two inexpensive mods I did that cleaned up a lot of the slop. I also have the factory short shifter. It is not as good as the BRZ Asin 6MT, but it works for me.

One dude did put the front seats from a BRZ in his 15 WRX.. I am not that brave
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #34
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Perrin shifter bushing and Perrin shift stop are the two inexpensive mods I did that cleaned up a lot of the slop. I also have the factory short shifter. It is not as good as the BRZ Asin 6MT, but it works for me.

One dude did put the front seats from a BRZ in his 15 WRX.. I am not that brave
Thanks man it looks like it makes a big difference and they're cheap! And those seats would be great in there lol
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #35
Cope52

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Todd's opinion is the only opinion I ever care about as he is more into raw/light feeling type sports cars. Paul is more of the opposite.

Check out this article by Todd.

http://everydaydriver.com/awarnings/...ower-corrupts/
This from a guy who said he would buy an FR-S if it only had another 40 horse.
Cope52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 AM   #36
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Damn I thought you were sharing your 'GreatesthitswhileIdrivebecausei'mabarbiegirllllin abarbieworld" cd/album.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #37
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I think the WRX is the best daily driver of the bunch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Agreed, It's undoubtedly is most suited to the task of going from A to B.
In what way? (Don't read as angry just curious)
As usual the whole "what makes a better DD?" is totally subjective based on need and purpose for each individual.
For me the FRS is a better DD since I just need room for me, don't need the power, certainly don't need 4 doors or a back seat (but have one in a pinch), much better mileage saves me some money and over all it just suits my needs better.
The only advantage I could gain from a WRX would be AWD in the winter but that is somewhat negated by the power level since that can still cause problems in snow and ice and the fact I had zero issues with the FRS.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #38
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
In what way? (Don't read as angry just curious)
As usual the whole "what makes a better DD?" is totally subjective based on need and purpose for each individual.
For me the FRS is a better DD since I just need room for me, don't need the power, certainly don't need 4 doors or a back seat (but have one in a pinch), much better mileage saves me some money and over all it just suits my needs better.
The only advantage I could gain from a WRX would be AWD in the winter but that is somewhat negated by the power level since that can still cause problems in snow and ice and the fact I had zero issues with the FRS.
More room, better MPG, better torque, better power, cheaper insurance, and a general lack of attention from the public.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #39
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
I'm of the same mind as @Tcoat. What's acceptable as a DD depends on circumstances.

Keep in mind that DD != Only car.

My breeze is my DD, but its not the only car we have. If the other car was a two-door, or a small truck, or something else that coudn't fit more than two people, I'd probably have opted for a WRX, but since the other car is a sedan, I saw no point in getting a four door. I can also count using exactly zero fingers how many times the backseat has been used in the past five years on my last car. I was actually surprised the rear doors still opened... was worried the rubber seals had melted to the frame

Now, if I didn't have another car availale to drive, I'd likely be looking at the new Focus RS. Or if we had a third car, the breeze would likely switch to track/weekend duty, and I'd get something else entirely, likely a wagon... like the new Focus RS! Or maybe the new F150 or something, I dunno.

Anyways! Just trying to illustrate that even for me, what I'd want as a DD differs greatly depending on other factors. That should go for everyone else as well.
rlpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rlpaul For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #40
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpaul View Post
I'm of the same mind as @Tcoat. What's acceptable as a DD depends on circumstances.

Keep in mind that DD != Only car.

My breeze is my DD, but its not the only car we have. If the other car was a two-door, or a small truck, or something else that coudn't fit more than two people, I'd probably have opted for a WRX, but since the other car is a sedan, I saw no point in getting a four door. I can also count using exactly zero fingers how many times the backseat has been used in the past five years on my last car. I was actually surprised the rear doors still opened... was worried the rubber seals had melted to the frame

Now, if I didn't have another car availale to drive, I'd likely be looking at the new Focus RS. Or if we had a third car, the breeze would likely switch to track/weekend duty, and I'd get something else entirely, likely a wagon... like the new Focus RS! Or maybe the new F150 or something, I dunno.

Anyways! Just trying to illustrate that even for me, what I'd want as a DD differs greatly depending on other factors. That should go for everyone else as well.
DD does not = only car for everybody. It just means (literally) daily driver. You could easily have a DD and two or three other vehicles for special occasions.
Now as an only car for a family then the FRS would be the worst choice in the world (well other than 2 seaters of course) and would make a plain silly DD.
I can never understand how people think PU trucks make great DDs either really. They are probably one of the most impractical vehicles for normal family use I can think of.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #41
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
For clarification's sake, != means does not equal in many programming/transactional languages... I'm at work, so in tech mode at the moment :P
rlpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rlpaul For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-11-2015), PWBRZ (07-17-2015), Tcoat (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #42
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpaul View Post
For clarification's sake, != means does not equal in many programming/transactional languages... I'm at work, so in tech mode at the moment :P
Clarification on the clarification. Also at work and read it fast so didn't even see the !, just the =, or would have responded differently.
CSG Mike (06-11-2015), rlpaul (06-11-2015)