follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
IAmNotTheDriftKing

Drives: I own an FR-S. . . whatelse!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to stop exhaust rattles?

So I was wondering if anyone has this problem? It is with any aftermarket exhaust(I have the Perrin catback). Once in a while I hear a slight tinging sound coming from the rear of the car, which sounds like the exhaust is hitting something. What would be the best plan of action? I know it isn't some of the rattles this car has because these came up after I installed the exhaust.
IAmNotTheDriftKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNotTheDriftKing View Post
So I was wondering if anyone has this problem? It is with any aftermarket exhaust(I have the Perrin catback). Once in a while I hear a slight tinging sound coming from the rear of the car, which sounds like the exhaust is hitting something. What would be the best plan of action? I know it isn't some of the rattles this car has because these came up after I installed the exhaust.
I had the issue with my greddy evo3 but after a week or two it just went away
Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
11RApearl

Drives: Scion FR-S
You should check to make sure there is clearance between the exhaust and undercarriage. If thats clear check both of the clamps while the car is on. Listen closely. I was working on mine and found that my stepdad didnt tighten the axel-back clamp at all at it rattled badly. Jack-up your car and inspect it preferably while its running. Also if you have a helping hand have them rev the car up with their hand on the gas peddle check each point of the clamp connections.
11RApearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
IAmNotTheDriftKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieEndo View Post
I had the issue with my greddy evo3 but after a week or two it just went away
I have had mine on for about a 3 or so weeks, still rattles a bit. I am probably going to check all the screws again just to make sure everything is alright.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
The Perrin catback needs some real effort to align it properly.

To check for knocks, just climb under the car and use force to swing the whole exhaust around in every direction and see if you can get it to smash into something.

On my BRZ I had to stack 2 rubber hanger bushes on the 5th hanger point (not the 4 muffler ones) to get a bit more sub frame clearance.

I also really started to get sick of the Perrin hanger clips slipping so replaced them with ye olde hose clamps. GL!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Any time you put a larger pipe in the factory space its bound to have clearance issues. Go to a good hardware store and look for shaft collars in the size to fit your hanger rod. You may need to two piece style if your hanger rods have a flare at the end.

Just set the collars to apply pressure to the rubber hangers in the direction you need, and spending the extra money for the stainless ones is worth it.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
ARK Performance

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
What type of ting is it, does it sound more like its hitting under the car or does it sound muffled? Like everyone else said make sure your clearance is good, push up on the exhaust when its all bolted up to see if you'll get near anything. Also another thing is trying shaking the muffler itself and seeing if theres any sound coming from there
ARK Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
scarfo

Drives: gts 86
I get it aswell on my greedy evo 3, when driving at low rpms in first or second. I haven't really had time to inspect under the car to see if it's touching somewhere, but sounds like its vibrating against plastic
scarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Do you have an AT? If so, the vibration is a known issue. You should contact the guys at Perrin. They sent me a new mid pipe with no flex joint and that seems to have solved most of the virbration.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
11RApearl

Drives: Scion FR-S
Even if its not touching while your below the car when its OFF, Make sure you have enough clearance for heat expansion as well. Best advice i can give is to take your time and align everything with optimal results. i.e. enough clearance and everything tight. Even with it running and after youve taken it around the block to see the difference between cold and hot exhaust. This process may be a little demanding but if it stops the rattles its worth it!
11RApearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNotTheDriftKing View Post
Your exhaust is probably hitting something when it rattles. This has been reported with a lot of people who own the Perrin CBE with the resonator. There was a thread made with a big discussion on it. Search the forums for the thread.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
IAmNotTheDriftKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Do you have an AT? If so, the vibration is a known issue. You should contact the guys at Perrin. They sent me a new mid pipe with no flex joint and that seems to have solved most of the virbration.
No it is a manual, it doesn't seem to be coming from the middle of the car but rather the rear of the car.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
IAmNotTheDriftKing

Thanks a lot guys, I pretty sure I know what it is. There is about 1/2 an inch clearance, so I am going to go back home and readjust everything.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Yeah, the rattling happens at the tips from what I recall and it's weird as it always seemed the entire system seemed to shake as one solid piece.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote