follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Alq

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
BRZ Limited vs Genesis coupe 3.8l v6

I saw there was an older thread of a 2014 BRZ vs 2013 Gen coupe, the reviews made sense but now that the 2014 Gen Coupe has an upgraded engine, does this mean the same for the BRZ? Does it still win?
Check Gen Coupe specs here:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/spec...formance-specs

I've narrowed my search down to these 2 cars so far, been really struggling with a decision since this will be my first new car and I don't want to regret it. The power upgrade coming from my current car ('95 corolla) to ANY car will be substantial, nonetheless, I would like some opinions of the members and those of you who have driven it.

About me: If I DO get a BRZ, I will NOT track it, at all. I will most likely get it tuned to e-85 and do a few small upgrades to boost the HP, without voiding warranty. Down the road I will be putting in a JRSC but not until warranty is up and I've done some more research. I am looking for pure power gain and a little bit of sound. What should I do??!

I've been comparing the BRZ to a bunch of different cars, and I always end up back on the BRZ.. this is the last car I have it narrowed down to so would like some solid advice on what to do..

TLDR; 2014 Genesis Coupe 3.8l v6 vs 2014 BRZ. need halp.
Alq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alq View Post
About me: If I DO get a BRZ, I will NOT track it, at all. I will most likely get it tuned to e-85 and do a few small upgrades to boost the HP, without voiding warranty. Down the road I will be putting in a JRSC but not until warranty is up and I've done some more research. I am looking for pure power gain and a little bit of sound. What should I do??!
First off, there's no reason you couldn't have posted this in the other thread, this post will likely be moved there.

Secondly it sounds like you want to stoplight race: get the Gen Coupe.

Thirdly running E85 may result in engine issues if done improperly, if this is the case it is unlikely that Subaru (or Toyota) would repair something you did to the car outside of it's design parameters, gotta pay to play.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Alq

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
First off, there's no reason you couldn't have posted this in the other thread, this post will likely be moved there.

Secondly it sounds like you want to stoplight race: get the Gen Coupe.

Thirdly running E85 may result in engine issues if done improperly, if this is the case it is unlikely that Subaru (or Toyota) would repair something you did to the car outside of it's design parameters, gotta pay to play.
1. My bad, couldn't find the other thread.

2. I do not want to stoplight race, I enjoy corners a LOT and the handling on the BRZ is amazing. A supercharger will just make them a lot more fun.

3. Thanks for the tip, when I am ready for that step I will be sure and look on these forums for a how-to guide. Everyone has goals for their car, my goals will be to have a lightweight car that can keep up with some of the "faster" cars out there while not getting myself too many tickets.

I am merely looking for someone to try and convince me to get a Gen Coupe, or "un"convince me from getting a BRZ..
Old 10-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

2. I do not want to stoplight race, I enjoy corners a LOT and the handling on the BRZ is amazing. A supercharger will just make them a lot more fun.

3. Thanks for the tip, when I am ready for that step I will be sure and look on these forums for a how-to guide. Everyone has goals for their car, my goals will be to have a lightweight car that can keep up with some of the "faster" cars out there while not getting myself too many tickets.

I am merely looking for someone to try and convince me to get a Gen Coupe, or "un"convince me from getting a BRZ..

problem is that you're looking for someone else to convince you-- go drive the cars and make your own decision. you already know the pros and cons. i would think that you'd be more likely to regret it if you made your decision based on what random people on the internet told you.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to asdf For This Useful Post:
8R6 (12-02-2014), raven1231 (10-20-2014), strat61caster (10-20-2014), Teseo (10-21-2014), WillRacer1jz (10-21-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
problem is that you're looking for someone else to convince you-- go drive the cars and make your own decision. you already know the pros and cons. i would think that you'd be more likely to regret it if you made your decision based on what random people on the internet told you.
This is what I did drove them both back to back
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Gen coupe is a boat.

Get BRZ if straight line speed isn't a priority.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Alq

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
True, I value the opinions on this forum that's why I was asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
This is what I did drove them both back to back
I plan on doing that this week, will update thread on results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantcf View Post
Gen coupe is a boat.

Get BRZ if straight line speed isn't a priority.
That's what I've heard too. We'll see how the test drive goes.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
True, I value the opinions on this forum that's why I was asking.

I plan on doing that this week, will update thread on results.

That's what I've heard too. We'll see how the test drive goes.
I drove the gen coupe first (6mt 2014). I thought the interior was nice, hated the shifter, seemed to have good power as well. I then got into a used frs at the Hyundai dealer and test drove it, and man was I sold. I had driven an FRS prior but didn't realize how much more connected and in tune you feel with it until I drove them back to back. It all just felt so right with the Fr-s and so wrong with then gen coupe. Don't get me wrong I think they are both nice cars, but for me the FRS was what I was looking for
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
Alq

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
I drove the gen coupe first (6mt 2014). I thought the interior was nice, hated the shifter, seemed to have good power as well. I then got into a used frs at the Hyundai dealer and test drove it, and man was I sold. I had driven an FRS prior but didn't realize how much more connected and in tune you feel with it until I drove them back to back. It all just felt so right with the Fr-s and so wrong with then gen coupe. Don't get me wrong I think they are both nice cars, but for me the FRS was what I was looking for
Thank you for this! I am kind of expecting the same thing, just want to be 100% sure before I pull the trigger.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alq For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Here's 22 pages of research for ya:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65790

Whatever gets your rocks off is what gets your rocks off. It's been said time and time again: buying a slow car and spending money to make it fast is less efficient than just buying the fast car in the first place.

Dezoris makes a lot of long winded videos about modifying the Toyobaru for 'more', might be worth your time.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40792
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Another potential 86 owner that wants more speed. At this price range you can have one or the other.
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
OP considered the 370z?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #13
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
A. The engine is not upgraded, they only discontinued the 4 banger. The V-6 had the same hp previously.

B. This right here: Base Curb Weight (lbs)3503, says enough for me to pass on the Genesis. In reality by the time you have one optioned out you are over 3600lbs.

C. Remember the Genesis is a sedan with 2 doors and the FRS/BRZ is a sports coupe with 2 extra seats. Also have you sat in the Genesis? The rear headroom sucks even more then the FRS/BRZ.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #14
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
my goals will be to have a lightweight car that can keep up with some of the "faster" cars out there while not getting myself too many tickets.

Your goal of lightweight car rules out the GC. It is not a light, nor does it drive like one.

Depending on your threshold for "faster" the stock BRZ may be ruled out as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote