follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #71
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
Hey Veloist,

Thanks for the specific clarification. I see what you mean and I should have been more clear but the point I was trying to make was that for all intents and purposes these wheels are very similar to the STI wheels. I am currently trying to decide between getting an RS 2.0, a Hyperblue, or waiting and seeing if I can get a nice WRB series.blue.

Personally I really do love this version but what holds me up are some of the niceties that I care about. personally I like the smiley face, mustache, mouthguard, etc of the BRZ versus the angry face, fangs of the FRS. Moreover, I love the fish hook xenon headlights of the BRZ versus the EDM/JDM headlights that come on the RS 2.0. I absolutely love the camel interior and the benefit of the armrest being built in. I love the subtle aero kit but what kills me is the price. 30k before taxes and other fees is crazy to me. Sure the wheels are very nice, so lets call that 2500, the interior is literally the same interior as what came in the series.blue, hyperblue, limited BRZ in so far as leather/alcantara, its just a matter of what thread color and dye they used for leather. That doesn't diminish how much I love the camel over the basic hyperblue black and blue stitching or dark blue leather in the series blue.

I would be sold completely if they would add the small additions of the BRZ. Mainly the heated side mirrors, courtesy lights in the door, and vanity mirror illumination. I know these sound petty and they are but they almost seal the deal for me in comparing the BRZ and FR-S. Sure I could buy the courtesy lights and BRZ vanity mirrors but then I have to wire them too. And as far as I know there is a DIY thread on getting heated mirrors but no official solution has been figured out just yet. I know I sound like a hater and I swear I am not trying to be. I mean to be fair what I hate most is how I feel like no matter what version I get I lose. Get a BRZ and lose the camel interior and nice subtle body kit. Get an FR-S and lose the STI goodies that fit the BRZ so well (exhaust, springs, aero kit, etc.)
No problem

The FR-S Release Series 2.0 is probably the most expensive for the value to me. The cheapest by far was the non-Whiteout Monogram at an MSRP of $28,155. For $330 more you're essentially at the Series.HyperBlue (MSRP: 28,485)

With that said, many dealers are selling the Series.HyperBlue with discounts for around 26k-27k before taxes. There are still about 40 of them left sitting on lots in North America so if you are considering a special edition 86/BRZ the HyperBlue is the way to go.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #72
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
And a keyless entry/ignition, dual zone heaters, heated seats, HID lights and if you really want to push it a custom paint job.
A custom interior is still glorified seat covers and can have all the issues that come with them.
Also if you are going to knock $1K off the list price of a base model then you need to knock the 2 down as well and say you can get it for $29K hard to get just the wheels and aero (equivalent quality not Ebay crap) with the difference. The point being the value is there if you want all the goodies. If you want just the interior then sure after market is the way to go.
Not really they remove the existing material and reupholster the whole seat and I don't really know of any existing issues with reupholstering seats. But yea paint, you got me on I personally don't care for the color looks boring/mundane.

I was doing my specific car a brz premium I got for 25k but a brz limited for 27k gets you dual climate, push button start, and leather you still got 2k to play with after interior. Lets be real unless it actually adds downforce aero is all cheap plastic just one says TRD on it that they can upcharge from the name. I got my wheels and tires for 1k and aero parts for less than 200 bucks.

I will agree it's a decent deal for those unwilling to mod there car but if you are willing you can get close to the same car for far less.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #73
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
Not really they remove the existing material and reupholster the whole seat and I don't really know of any existing issues with reupholstering seats. But yea paint, you got me on I personally don't care for the color looks boring/mundane.

I was doing my specific car a brz premium I got for 25k but a brz limited for 27k gets you dual climate, push button start, and leather you still got 2k to play with after interior. Lets be real unless it actually adds downforce aero is all cheap plastic just one says TRD on it that they can upcharge from the name. I got my wheels and tires for 1k and aero parts for less than 200 bucks.

I will agree it's a decent deal for those unwilling to mod there car but if you are willing you can get close to the same car for far less.
Sure you can get any cheap parts and make it look like that but to buy the real parts (and there is more quality to TRD then just a name. Much of that cheap Ebay stuff is trash) parts and have the real thing is gonna cost you. The "leather" in the BRZ is not the same as the interior of the 2 which has a pile more done to it.
If you use the $27K BRZ as the base then you are still getting colour, wheels and aero for only $2K. That does not even touch the intrinsic value of having a special edition.
Like you said though these are not intended for the modder anyway. These are targeted for people that just want to jump in and drive away and are willing to pay for that.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #74
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
No problem

The FR-S Release Series 2.0 is probably the most expensive for the value to me. The cheapest by far was the non-Whiteout Monogram at an MSRP of $28,155. For $330 more you're essentially at the Series.HyperBlue (MSRP: 28,485)

With that said, many dealers are selling the Series.HyperBlue with discounts for around 26k-27k before taxes. There are still about 40 of them left sitting on lots in North America so if you are considering a special edition 86/BRZ the HyperBlue is the way to go.
I hear you man. I don't know why but the color of the Hyperblue just scares me! I need to see one in person but haven't found the time or place who has one in stock. Obviously you own one so it may seem silly to ask because you probably are partial to it but what are your thoughts on the color?

Is it flat? Does it have pearl characteristics? Is it cookie monster blue? Does it change colors dramatically on lighting? What comments have you got on it? Negative? Positive? I have always been a WRB fanatic and I feel like I'd be making a mistake having the opportunity to get a WRB car but at the same time I know this sounds silly but I can't stand the red stitching unless its a red or black car. So that leaves me to either hope and wait a series.blue pops up in WRB (not interested in CWP) or go with a Hyperblue.

As an aside did you ever feel somewhat shorted with the Hyperblue as opposed to the Series.Blue? Insofar as stock wheels (blacked out albeit) vs the STI wheels. STI start button vs regular. STI aero kit. Red calipers. Blue interior trim as opposed to just stitching, etc.

Sorry for the long post but I just love talking cars and with me looking to get rid of my tC to get an 86 I love talking to the community that owns them.
Jordan Silveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:08 AM   #75
brandonblt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Sure you can get any cheap parts and make it look like that but to buy the real parts (and there is more quality to TRD then just a name. Much of that cheap Ebay stuff is trash) parts and have the real thing is gonna cost you. The "leather" in the BRZ is not the same as the interior of the 2 which has a pile more done to it.
If you use the $27K BRZ as the base then you are still getting colour, wheels and aero for only $2K. That does not even touch the intrinsic value of having a special edition.
Like you said though these are not intended for the modder anyway. These are targeted for people that just want to jump in and drive away and are willing to pay for that.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on TRD aero parts. I have a TRD fake spoiler and "fake" front lip from ebay fitment was perfect and needed no modification spent 120 for them. Verses paying 500 for both material quality is the same both, abs plastic. TRD aero parts are nothing special unless they are the ones that add actual downforce you are paying for the name. Its the same way subaru will charge you $800 dollars for a non functioning rear diffuser that is just plastic when you can buy one for $60. The name and price does not always equal better specially with purely aesthetic parts. And why are you taking 3k off the scion? They have that no haggle pure price thing so you don't pay higher or lower. But nice wheels and aero you can get for alittle over 1k, the aero wont say TRD on the inside, but I can assure you there is no difference in quality.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:11 AM   #76
ELNseven

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS RS2.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree with you on TRD aero parts. I have a TRD fake spoiler and "fake" front lip from ebay fitment was perfect and needed no modification spent 120 for them. Verses paying 500 for both material quality is the same both, abs plastic. TRD aero parts are nothing special unless they are the ones that add actual downforce you are paying for the name. Its the same way subaru will charge you $800 dollars for a non functioning rear diffuser that is just plastic when you can buy one for $60. The name and price does not always equal better specially with purely aesthetic parts. And why are you taking 3k off the scion? They have that no haggle pure price thing so you don't pay higher or lower. But nice wheels and aero you can get for alittle over 1k, the aero wont say TRD on the inside, but I can assure you there is no difference in quality.
I actually got 2,000 off of msrp and no doc fee. Dunno about that no haggle rule

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
ELNseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:00 AM   #77
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I am going to jump in on this- although TRD parts are more expensive, they have the rights to do so. Reason being is because they have warranty from dealer and is exact match to the vehicle. In addition, all TRD parts are all tested extensively for many hours- and we all know engineers and R&D aren't cheap- thus resulting in the higher price items that carries the TRD brand. TRD wouldn't just slap on their name for the sake of it- even though some parts are to believed made by other suppliers, the parts are vetted and tested by TRD before they get released to the public.

As for the eBay knockoffs- I am not against them, I have an eBay rear diffuser as well, it really comes down to preference, financials, and peace of mind for certain parts. I also want to believe that some replicas are sold at such discount vs the real thing because the replicas did not get extensively tested, thus lower cost to produce and validate- TRD or other name brand did most of the grunt work already.

I understand that aesthetic parts might look and feel the same as genuine ones, but under stress, in extreme weather or just over time in general- I believe the genuine parts will be more durable and reliable, not to say higher resale value.

Again, I think some replicas are really nice and looks just the same as the genuine stuff, but I have to disagree that the quality of the parts are equal.

Just my thought.
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:33 AM   #78
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
I hear you man. I don't know why but the color of the Hyperblue just scares me! I need to see one in person but haven't found the time or place who has one in stock. Obviously you own one so it may seem silly to ask because you probably are partial to it but what are your thoughts on the color?

Is it flat? Does it have pearl characteristics? Is it cookie monster blue? Does it change colors dramatically on lighting? What comments have you got on it? Negative? Positive? I have always been a WRB fanatic and I feel like I'd be making a mistake having the opportunity to get a WRB car but at the same time I know this sounds silly but I can't stand the red stitching unless its a red or black car. So that leaves me to either hope and wait a series.blue pops up in WRB (not interested in CWP) or go with a Hyperblue.

As an aside did you ever feel somewhat shorted with the Hyperblue as opposed to the Series.Blue? Insofar as stock wheels (blacked out albeit) vs the STI wheels. STI start button vs regular. STI aero kit. Red calipers. Blue interior trim as opposed to just stitching, etc.

Sorry for the long post but I just love talking cars and with me looking to get rid of my tC to get an 86 I love talking to the community that owns them.
I loved both Pearl whites so that was my 1st color choice followed by WRB. However, I loved the interior of the HyperBlue more than anything else. The HyperBlue stitching looks amazing inside.

I'm not 100% a fan of the color simply because yes, it changes dramatically depending on light conditions. My favorite condition is when the sun is high and directly hitting the car, then the car gives off a bright, faded baby blue look. Hard to put it in words but it looks glorious and I can see it from far away.

In cloudy conditions, night or during the sunset it looks darker but not quite as dark as WRB. In the dark, the rear plate bulbs illuminate the rear fascia to the said baby blue color, and any headlight that hits it will do the same.

It's a gloss paint so there's no metallic or pearly flakes and while it would look better I don't think the car needs it because of how dynamic the paint is.

The nice thing is that the car feels and drives as every other car, whiich is what truly matters, so I don't feel as if I'm getting less of a car compared to the Series.Blue. However, my car had an amazing price so it's worth every penny considering there are only about 500 others.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:56 AM   #79
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
I loved both Pearl whites so that was my 1st color choice followed by WRB. However, I loved the interior of the HyperBlue more than anything else. The HyperBlue stitching looks amazing inside.

I'm not 100% a fan of the color simply because yes, it changes dramatically depending on light conditions. My favorite condition is when the sun is high and directly hitting the car, then the car gives off a bright, faded baby blue look. Hard to put it in words but it looks glorious and I can see it from far away.

In cloudy conditions, night or during the sunset it looks darker but not quite as dark as WRB. In the dark, the rear plate bulbs illuminate the rear fascia to the said baby blue color, and any headlight that hits it will do the same.

It's a gloss paint so there's no metallic or pearly flakes and while it would look better I don't think the car needs it because of how dynamic the paint is.

The nice thing is that the car feels and drives as every other car, whiich is what truly matters, so I don't feel as if I'm getting less of a car compared to the Series.Blue. However, my car had an amazing price so it's worth every penny considering there are only about 500 others.
Awesome man! Thank you very much for the detailed response! In your opinion, what's a great price for one of these? I see a few located around me and wonder how low I can get them to go.
Jordan Silveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:27 AM   #80
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I think you were missing my point (I myself have some cheap E bay areo to put on). I am saying that making a clone of or something that "looks as good as" a special edition car with separate parts does not make it the special edition car. The price of them reflects that they are all real and official. This is not a debate on if you can make a car look good through inexpensive parts but whether the Release Series is worth the extra money for what it has. It is for what you get.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #81
brandonblt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitcious View Post
I am going to jump in on this- although TRD parts are more expensive, they have the rights to do so. Reason being is because they have warranty from dealer and is exact match to the vehicle. In addition, all TRD parts are all tested extensively for many hours- and we all know engineers and R&D aren't cheap- thus resulting in the higher price items that carries the TRD brand. TRD wouldn't just slap on their name for the sake of it- even though some parts are to believed made by other suppliers, the parts are vetted and tested by TRD before they get released to the public.

As for the eBay knockoffs- I am not against them, I have an eBay rear diffuser as well, it really comes down to preference, financials, and peace of mind for certain parts. I also want to believe that some replicas are sold at such discount vs the real thing because the replicas did not get extensively tested, thus lower cost to produce and validate- TRD or other name brand did most of the grunt work already.

I understand that aesthetic parts might look and feel the same as genuine ones, but under stress, in extreme weather or just over time in general- I believe the genuine parts will be more durable and reliable, not to say higher resale value.

Again, I think some replicas are really nice and looks just the same as the genuine stuff, but I have to disagree that the quality of the parts are equal.

Just my thought.
I say the warranty wouldn't really mean much since they are non mechanical parts, the most that can happen would be warping somehow but that rarely happens.

I would completely agree if the aero in question produced significant downforce. But the aero parts shown on the car and the TRD spoiler in particular I believe received very little R&D if any at all. I'm thinking at most the spoiler was thrown in a windtunnel to see if any lift occurred. Other TRD parts, I'm sure actually do experience some R&D.

I will say some replicas may not be equal but they are pretty damn close and the price difference alone justifies it for me atleast. And molded plastic is just molded plastic can't see much a difference in the process being used between TRD and a knockout off to warrant much of a quality difference of the final part.