follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
pakunodafie

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Help! Borla Exhaust same as stock sound.

Help guys, I recently purchased Borla Exhaust (SKU:1014034) in my local dealer, After installation and start the car I notice that sound is very similar to stock I immediately called the shop and asking for return or exchange. Here is the reference for sound note:

I was expecting an aggressive note but got disappointed.

So now I am locked up, I cannot return the product as they claim returnable product must be defective or not working and not used. I cannot exchange also as they don't have any product for 86 only this exhaust. Can anyone help me how to solve this? Anyone knows a guy in Borla?

And my other question is, In worst case scenario no return or exchange, I will just accept it and move on. Does the brand new muffler have a break in period? or after 100+ kms will get a better sound result?

Or other option is I go to a local exhaust shop open the Borla and remove some sound dampening and close it again. (But sound silly I can do this in my stock also) Please help what is the best solution?

Thanks In Advance. Btw I am in United Arab Emirates, If anyones know someone from Borla Middle east, please let me know.
pakunodafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
What did you expect? It's just an axleback and Borla is known for making deep and low exhaust tones.

Pair it with the a catless front pipe and the rest of the mid section if you want loud. Don't forget the tune.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Unfortunately, if everyone could return all the car parts that didn't function the way they anticipated, we'd all be buying used. I want to echo that you should get an aftermarket front pipe if you want to increase volume / growl. Catless or catted is up to your preference, but at least a front pipe is only a little more expensive.

I have a stock catback with catless headers and catless front pipe, it's plenty loud and you'd never know it was stock.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
AutoNewb

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Sterling Silver
You shouldve done your research more if you didnt expect that to happen. You want loud? Catless headers, straight front pipe, straight pipe catback. That will get you loud.
AutoNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
That is also Borla's "Touring" Axle-Back Exhaust. It's significantly more quiet and reserved as compared to their "S-Type" Catback Exhaust. If you want something with a bit more growl, the "S-Type" is what you need. All it has is a single muffler far up the mid-pipe, and then nothing else but Tips.

For reference, "S-Type" has been Borla's new term for their old Stinger exhaust set-ups.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
pakunodafie (12-18-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #6
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
1014034 is/was the Scion option Borla "touring" exhaust, and EU compliant. Borla also has/had the 11839 axle back, which I have, and it used to be listed as "S-type", and is not EU compliant.

https://www.borla.com/products/frs_b...rt__11839.html
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
pakunodafie (12-18-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
What are you goals with the exhaust in the future? Do you plan to add a catless header? That setup will pair well with a header, as it adds a LOT of volume to your setup.

The next logical direction for you now without selling the axle back is to swap out the front pipe for a catless/resonated piece, to add more volume. No tune is required for a front pipe as it is after the O2 sensors.

Or you can take the hit and sell the axle back and go full catback on your next setup.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:14 AM   #8
pakunodafie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
That is also Borla's "Touring" Axle-Back Exhaust. It's significantly more quiet and reserved as compared to their "S-Type" Catback Exhaust. If you want something with a bit more growl, the "S-Type" is what you need. All it has is a single muffler far up the mid-pipe, and then nothing else but Tips.

For reference, "S-Type" has been Borla's new term for their old Stinger exhaust set-ups.
Yes that's exactly what I am looking for. But the problem is I purchase the wrong one.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #9
pakunodafie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
What are you goals with the exhaust in the future? Do you plan to add a catless header? That setup will pair well with a header, as it adds a LOT of volume to your setup.

The next logical direction for you now without selling the axle back is to swap out the front pipe for a catless/resonated piece, to add more volume. No tune is required for a front pipe as it is after the O2 sensors.

Or you can take the hit and sell the axle back and go full catback on your next setup.
My goal is to have a little bit loud exhaust not really loud but when you push it you feel and hear it. I was planning to purchase (Borla :11839 axle back S-TYPE) but I ordered a different Item which is the Touring version.

I have no plans for additional setup which will cost me more..

For me stock is 1/10 Sound, and Invidia N1 9/10 -
I am looking for a 5-6/10 exhaust. My choices are the new Invidia N2, MXP Comp RS, Borla axle 11839 or a custom made exhaust with Valvetronic.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #10
pakunodafie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
1014034 is/was the Scion option Borla "touring" exhaust, and EU compliant. Borla also has/had the 11839 axle back, which I have, and it used to be listed as "S-type", and is not EU compliant.

https://www.borla.com/products/frs_b...rt__11839.html
Yes this is exactly what I am looking, which is not available anywhere here in UAE. so I purchase the wrong and I can't go back..
Old 12-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #11
pakunodafie

Okay so I posted this in listing someone wants to trade for Agency Power and Invidia N1? Which path should I go?
Old 12-18-2018, 06:36 AM   #12
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Just for others reading this, I have this axleback and it certainly isn't stock volume.

There's a noticeable increase in volume and and very mature and not obnoxious sound. I was concerned it would be too loud when ordering but was pleasantly surprised. I've had quite a few compliments on the sound and very much like it.

OP good luck with a new exhaust. I hope itès what you expect next time.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
pakunodafie (12-18-2018), RToyo86 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
pakunodafie

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Just for others reading this, I have this axleback and it certainly isn't stock volume.

There's a noticeable increase in volume and and very mature and not obnoxious sound. I was concerned it would be too loud when ordering but was pleasantly surprised. I've had quite a few compliments on the sound and very much like it.

Thanks, I might keep it and buy UEL borla. as sound matter most for me, but the build quality and looks is 10/10.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #14
pakunodafie

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post

Does the sound change overtime? Or is there a break-in period?