follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Mazikowski

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Trunk won't open and doors won't lock/unlock

So yeah, my trunk won't open electronically. I checked the cancel button and it's in the correct position (I actually checked it both ways just to be sure).

EDIT:
Also, the door locks won't actuate (fob or button on door panel). These problems seem to be connected, but the only thing I can see they have in common is the D/L relay and the Main Body ECU itself.

Looking at the shop manual, I have checked the only fuse (labeled D/L in the engine bay) that appears to be directly related to the trunk opener and it's fine.

According to the manual (see the attached picture), the connector pins out like this:
Code:
B:   Ground
W-B: TSW5 pin (trunk open/closed switch) from the Main Body ECU
BR:  Latch trigger (normally grounded by the BK/DR relay, switched to 12v to open the latch)
The pins all checked out except when I tried to open the trunk, via the key fob or the button above the license plate, the latch trigger was never switched to 12v.

I removed, tested, and broke (turns out the little motor in the opener doesn't like 18v and I let the magic smoke out) the latch opener and it unlocked just fine (before it broke). No worries, though... I got a new one coming from a part-out.

This leads me to think maybe the relay went out but it appears that the relay is actually inside the Main Body ECU.

Anybody have other ideas of stuff I should check?
Attached Images

Last edited by Mazikowski; 02-12-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Change title, add details
Mazikowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Possibly an issue with your FOB?
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Mazikowski

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
Possibly an issue with your FOB?
That was my original thought but when I hold the button on the fob it still beeps. It won't open with the button on the dash, either.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazikowski View Post
That was my original thought but when I hold the button on the fob it still beeps. It won't open with the button on the dash, either.
Maybe the disable button in the trunk got damaged?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
Mazikowski

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Maybe the disable button in the trunk got damaged?
You know, I hadn't thought about that... and I remember reading a post that said if you remove the button it's the same as putting it in the cancel position (I guess it allows the trunk to open when that pin is grounded)...

I'll have to pop it out when I get home and test it. I'd much rather fix/replace it (or just permanently bypass it) than have to replace something more expensive.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
You know, I hadn't thought about that... and I remember reading a post that said if you remove the button it's the same as putting it in the cancel position (I guess it allows the trunk to open when that pin is grounded)...

I'll have to pop it out when I get home and test it. I'd much rather fix/replace it (or just permanently bypass it) than have to replace something more expensive.

I'm taking a wild guess but maybe there's a motor that actually is supposed to release the trunk that's not working?
If you get the beep, maybe try opening the trunk with the key, then use the fob to "open" it and try to listen over the beep for movement... or lack of movement?

Is it a brz with the cover over the back of the trunk, maybe pull the push rivets for that and look to see if anything is obviously amiss?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Mazikowski

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I'm taking a wild guess but maybe there's a motor that actually is supposed to release the trunk that's not working?
If you get the beep, maybe try opening the trunk with the key, then use the fob to "open" it and try to listen over the beep for movement... or lack of movement?
I did just that. I opened the trunk with the key, closed the latch, and tried unlocking it with the fob, the trunk button, and the dash button. Not a sound.

Like I said in my original post, I tested the opener by itself and it worked (and then broke because my dumb ass used an 18v battery to test it, burning out the motor).
Old 02-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

This leads me to think maybe the relay went out but it appears that the relay is actually inside the Main Body ECU.

Anybody have other ideas of stuff I should check?
Hate to sound like an IT guy but have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset the BCU?
Chimera (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Mazikowski

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hate to sound like an IT guy but have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset the BCU?
As an IT guy myself, I honestly hadn't thought of that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazikowski For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-08-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:48 AM   #10
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Have you checked whether or not that button in the trunk is still connected? At one point, I disconnected that plug to it just to see what would happen and it still gave me the sound but it didn't pop open the trunk both the fob and in-cabin.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
This. The tab that holds the plug in place in the back of the button is tiny and it doesn't take much for it to come out. I pulled out my interior pieces one time and forgot to disconnect it; I barely felt it yank out.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
Mazikowski

Garage
Disconnected the battery for probably half an hour and no change.

Trunk switch didn't come unhooked.

While washing my car I also found out the door locks aren't actuating, either. The only ly common elements I can find between them and the trunk is the D/L fuse and the Main Body ECU.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mazikowski; 02-12-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Tcoat (02-12-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #13
Mazikowski

Garage
TLDR: D/L fuse in the wrong slot. Also, I hate myself right now.

Took the car to Subaru last week (I have a friend who's a tech in the service department) to have this looked at. He checked the body ECU and found some old fault codes from when I had to have the battery replaced, but nothing related to the problem at hand.

After about an hour of hunting he sends me a text saying it's fixed. He says "Yeah, your door lock fuse was just missing." Apparently when I first had the issue and checked the fuse I put it back in the wrong slot (an empty one two down from where it should have gone). Effectively I paid $90 for him to move a fuse. He cut me a deal on his labor because he felt bad for me...

Still no idea exactly what caused the problem to begin with, but my working theory is that while I had the car in the garage tinkering with it I left the keys on my workbench which is within range of one of the exterior keyless antennas and that battery saving feature where the car and the fob stop talking after about 10 minutes kicked in.

I didn't have the doors locked at the time, so I didn't realize it and the only way to reset it is to manually unlock the DRIVER SIDE DOOR with the key. Opening the trunk with the key doesn't cut it. So I checked the fuse and since I put it back in the wrong place I noticed the doors wouldn't unlock even after resetting and it sent me down this long road of unnecessary troubleshooting.
Tcoat (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
TLDR: D/L fuse in the wrong slot. Also, I hate myself right now.

Took the car to Subaru last week (I have a friend who's a tech in the service department) to have this looked at. He checked the body ECU and found some old fault codes from when I had to have the battery replaced, but nothing related to the problem at hand.

After about an hour of hunting he sends me a text saying it's fixed. He says "Yeah, your door lock fuse was just missing." Apparently when I first had the issue and checked the fuse I put it back in the wrong slot (an empty one two down from where it should have gone). Effectively I paid $90 for him to move a fuse. He cut me a deal on his labor because he felt bad for me...

Still no idea exactly what caused the problem to begin with, but my working theory is that while I had the car in the garage tinkering with it I left the keys on my workbench which is within range of one of the exterior keyless antennas and that battery saving feature where the car and the fob stop talking after about 10 minutes kicked in.

I didn't have the doors locked at the time, so I didn't realize it and the only way to reset it is to manually unlock the DRIVER SIDE DOOR with the key. Opening the trunk with the key doesn't cut it. So I checked the fuse and since I put it back in the wrong place I noticed the doors wouldn't unlock even after resetting and it sent me down this long road of unnecessary troubleshooting.
LOL. Anybody that says they haven't done something similar is either lying, have only had a car a short time or have selective memories.

If the fuse had been in the right spot then the battery reset would have worked.
Mazikowski (03-05-2018)