follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
tamsau

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help please?

It would be great if anyone can help me find a complete Whiteout(37J) FRS Front Bumper assembly. I was driving out of town on I-40 East and a trucks debris fell out and I didn't have enough time to maneuver to avoid it. There's a crack in the middle of the bumper and some under damage, I don't know if i should repair it my self or go through insurance. I don't want my rate to go up. Thank you.
tamsau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Get an estimate at a body shop - no cost for that.

When I had some damage, my insurance had a claim level below which my rates would not increase. The body shop was able to make sure it came in below that level. Paid deductible and done.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
If you go through insurance, it will be considered a collision. Any damage that is under the car/low to the car is considered "avoidable". Collision charges will increase your dates.

If the bumper is cracked, you'll have to replace the bumper. You shouldn't repair a cracked bumper.

You're looking at maybe 800 dollars or more... Just for the bumper cover.

If it's not significant, I would just leave it.
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
tamsau

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleboy View Post
Get an estimate at a body shop - no cost for that.

When I had some damage, my insurance had a claim level below which my rates would not increase. The body shop was able to make sure it came in below that level. Paid deductible and done.
thanks for the tip
Old 02-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
tamsau

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
If you go through insurance, it will be considered a collision. Any damage that is under the car/low to the car is considered "avoidable". Collision charges will increase your dates.

If the bumper is cracked, you'll have to replace the bumper. You shouldn't repair a cracked bumper.

You're looking at maybe 800 dollars or more... Just for the bumper cover.

If it's not significant, I would just leave it.
Well i had a aftermarket lip on it as-well and that was loss during the incident, I also lost my rear diffuser in the process... also my deductible is 1000. I did a estimate with all the parts that need to be replace like my lip, diffuser, under body, and the bumper it would cost more than 1000 with labor and such. In the long run I have a feeling my insurance is going up...
Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #6
N1rve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsau View Post
Well i had a aftermarket lip on it as-well and that was loss during the incident, I also lost my rear diffuser in the process... also my deductible is 1000. I did a estimate with all the parts that need to be replace like my lip, diffuser, under body, and the bumper it would cost more than 1000 with labor and such. In the long run I have a feeling my insurance is going up...

Well did you insure your lip and rear diffuser?

That's the most important part. If you didn't notify your insurance company about them, you won't get it back.

I wouldn't file a claim unless it's a significant amount... like if your deductibe is 500, and the damage is 2000... then yes file a claim.

But if your deductible is 1000 and the total damage is 1200... I wouldn't file a claim.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #7
tamsau

Quote:
Well did you insure your lip and rear diffuser?

That's the most important part. If you didn't notify your insurance company about them, you won't get it back.

I wouldn't file a claim unless it's a significant amount... like if your deductibe is 500, and the damage is 2000... then yes file a claim.

But if your deductible is 1000 and the total damage is 1200... I wouldn't file a claim.
Well I have full coverage on the car and I called yesterday and asked an agent "I have aftermarket parts on the car are they cover in case of a accident"? Her response "your car is completely covered".
Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #8
N1rve

Quote:
Well I have full coverage on the car and I called yesterday and asked an agent "I have aftermarket parts on the car are they cover in case of a accident"? Her response "your car is completely covered".
Well that's going to vary per insurance. For my insurance company... it's not covered unless I actually requested it to be insured. So if someone rear ends me and cracks my spoiler, I won't get a new spoiler.

But... talk to your insurance adjuster (different from your agent).

Where are you in SoCal?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #9
tamsau

Quote:
Well that's going to vary per insurance. For my insurance company... it's not covered unless I actually requested it to be insured. So if someone rear ends me and cracks my spoiler, I won't get a new spoiler.

But... talk to your insurance adjuster (different from your agent).

Where are you in SoCal?
Near San Diego, all these response your giving me are alot of help. Im afraid if I call my insurance company they will try to screw me over.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #10
N1rve

Quote:
Near San Diego, all these response your giving me are alot of help. Im afraid if I call my insurance company they will try to screw me over.
That's their job

I had some stuff hit me on the freeway on my previous car, splattered my hood, driver door and driver fender... but since it was flying (missle/unavoidable) it fell under comprehensive. (No increase in rates).

However, if there was something lying on the road that fell off just a few seconds and I didn't have time to react, it will avoidable... which means an increase in your rates.

If you file a claim, they'll want a statement from you indicating what happened.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Perhaps this is true with your insurance. It is not with mine, and I'd guess others. My car was damaged in the front bumper fairly low and the quarter panel, just at the start of the wheel arch.

The process:

Go to body shop, get estimate. I happen to know this body shop is a) really good and b) one of the "preferred" shops for my insurance.

Call insurance and file claim. Tell them of the body shop I plan to take it to.

Because said shop is on the preferred list, there is no adjuster ever involved, the work is guaranteed for life, and several other nice things for a nearly new car.

Body shop manager tells me to verify my deductible and the claim limit below which rates will not go up. I do so. Body shop manager tells me the estimate is close enough to the limit that he will make sure it can come in just below (with no difference in the work they will do).

Car fixed, looks perfect, rates do not change. The insurance company never got anything more from me than a description of what happened. The body shop I would guess sent them the invoice for the repair.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3&j, brz, bumper, frs, whiteout