follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Kwaziekeller

Drives: '13 Argento MT FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Kwaziekeller's "Argo" Build log...

I bought Argo 6/18/2012, and traded in a Procharged '07 Charger SRT8 (527rwhp/454tq). I followed the 86 through its concept days and the allure of potential power to weight ratio, having a manual again, and RWD sold me on the platform. I've modded here and there along the way, but I finally got around to making a build log. I plan to turbo the car, and if I didn't purchase a house in June of '14, I would have ordered a turbo kit, clutch and axles. Essentially, all I have left are those 3 things, possibly a built engine, and a Flex fuel kit. My goals were to make the car fun to drive (well more fun), and eventually 300ish whp on 93 and ~500 on e85 (330whp should equal my Charger in power to weight ratio). I'll probably go with a EFR7163 or GTX3076R turbo, but may go slightly smaller for better response.

Mod list:

Exterior/Aesthetics:
Window tint (15% sides, 5% F/R)
Rear Fog light wired as tail-light
6K HID kit
FT86SpeedFactory/Velox Motorsports "race" upgraded front splitter
FT86SpeedFactory/Velox Motorsports splitter endplates
FT86SpeedFactory/Velox Motorsports front wheel air deflectors
Driveway Labs Type 1 rear diffuser

Interior:
TRD QuickShift kit
Spare tire and toolkit removed

Engine:
Sound Generator Tube Delete
Oil Catch Can
PLM long tube Header
Motiv Concepts Ceramic Coated Overpipe
Invidia catless, resonated front pipe
Invidia N1 catback with Ti tips
Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
aFe Pro Dry-S Drop in panel filter
SuperTEK intake pipe/tube
ECUtek with FT86SF Stg2 93oct tune

Suspension:
Hotchkis Lowering Springs (25mm, 1")
SPC Rear Control arms
SPC Offset Toe Bushings
SPC Front Camber Kit
Megan Racing diff brace
Megan Racing rear trailing arms
Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings
Perrin Rear Shifter Bushing
Perrin Transmission Support Mount
Stock Wheels with 225/45R17 Continental DWS (Winter)
17x9 +35mm Enkei RPF1's with 245/40R17 Dunlop Direzza ZII (summer)

A few pics... I need to take some better ones once the weather improves a little more.

Snow + Splitter =

Last edited by Kwaziekeller; 10-30-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Kwaziekeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Wolfdogelite

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I like your splitter and diffuser. I wasn't a fan of those rims before I got my car, just from seeing pics, but for some reason they look pretty good on silver.
Do you track the car, or just dd?
Wolfdogelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
Kwaziekeller

Garage
I feel the RPF1's are kind of overplayed on 86's but went with them because they are so hard to beat weight wise for the price. I went with the gunmetal finish from Oakos.com because I didn't like the other finishes available, so far so good.

It's my DD and I enjoy winding roads occasionally. Considered getting into auto-x, but I have a crazy work schedule (only one weekend off a month). If there were some road courses closer I'd consider prepping for a track day sometime. The splitter and diffuser were to address aero concerns (stock kinda floats at high speeds) and increase mpg. Down the road once I'm FI, I'll do a lot of roll racing and need the stability.

Last edited by Kwaziekeller; 11-12-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Kwaziekeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Sub'd

Idk what type of FI you are looking to get into but check out the development of the FT86 Speedfactory turbo kit. It seems like it is going to be the perfect balance of power and handling.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
Wolfdogelite

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Makes me feel privileged to live in southern California with access to two tracks within an hour so. Although the lack of any roads with a turn within a 25 mile radius is depressing.
I prefer the functional aero to the aesthetic ones, and those look serious.
I'm definitely going to keep an eye on your thread as your ride develops.
Wolfdogelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
Kwaziekeller

Garage
Yea, I'm keeping my eyes on the FT86SF turbo kit as well. Leaning towards a GTX3076R or EFR7163 based kit to reach the 500whp goals I'm after, but recently some one cracked 600whp on a 3076R so that may be a bit of overkill. By time I'm able to do it, I should be able to get all of the supporting mods I want, including internals... so we will see. Going to be a while, like 4 years tho lol.

I just found out the other day that Memphis International Raceway is open and hosting HPDE events again. They had changed ownership a few years ago and I wasn't sure if the road course was open yet. That track is about 2-2.5 hours away, and after membership dues etc, I could get to a NASA HPDE 2-day driving event for around $400, and get into the SPEC86 class if they get that going (although I'm sure some of my mods are not approved). It's not a great track, or world renown persay, but it's definitely a safer environment than public roads!

Yea, I went after functional aero instead of cosmetics. Both products have had CFD analysis done on them, and the information is on the forums. I'm more than happy with them. I'd say they make a minor difference on dry roads (you can tell they're there but it's not like an F1 car all of a sudden), are extremely noticeable on wet roads, and they help mpg a little too. They reduce tramlining and hydroplaning, give more steering feel, and really inspire confidence in turns (makes the car virtually 0 lift but I'd need combined CFD data to know for sure). If you followed the product thread about the splitter you'll notice I'm the guy who had the street version "fail" (exceeded it's recommended speed (under 100mph) by a bit (125-ish when it failed) and had it pull the rivet nuts through the bumper, not a "failure" but exposed a "known weakness"), and ushered in a hardware revision for the street kit (washers between rivet nut and bumper to reinforce the rivet nut). The race kit is rock solid... the suspension will compress before the splitter deflects
Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Garage
I am looking to buy rpf1s this week but before I do, did u have any rubbing issues with the +35 offset and 245/40 tires?
Old 03-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
My_little_hachi

Drives: White brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How are the Megan trail arms holding up? I have some installed on my car, but curious how they will hold up long run vs the short amount of time I have had them.
My_little_hachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Kwaziekeller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
I am looking to buy rpf1s this week but before I do, did u have any rubbing issues with the +35 offset and 245/40 tires?
No issues at all, I have about -.6 camber up front and 0 in the rear. The fronts could rub depending on tire choice as some are slightly wider than others, but a little more camber would solve that. Not the best for the most grip, but good for tire life. The springs/stock dampeners are what will hold me back in the bends, it feels like it sorta skips because the suspension is bottoming out when I push hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_little_hachi View Post
How are the Megan trail arms holding up? I have some installed on my car, but curious how they will hold up long run vs the short amount of time I have had them.
So far so good, I got the non-adjustable ones. I may eventually swap to the adjustable ones, and go to "better" LCA's. I haven't been under the car in months because of the weather, but next time I get a chance to I'll check the rear components, since I need to check the diffuser for damage as well (mainly getting slightly bent by snow).
Old 04-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Are you planning on anything for the sides like skirts? You got the front and back taken care of, now just need something on the sides to balance it out.

I have the Driveway Labs V2 on mine and love it. The V1 was a bit too much for my tastes but it actually works great on your car because of the front splitter. Just keep the look goin on the sides I think.

-RyanG
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #11
Kwaziekeller

Garage
I've considered Driveway Labs side splitters, or the HT Auto side skirts, but I'm worried about speed bump clearance lol. Not that my car is excessively low, but it's a DD and function is still important. Plus both are matte black to match the front splitter and diffuser. Someday I'll get around to it, hopefully by the end of the summer.

As far as other planned mods. Power wise, just a turbo kit, flex fuel kit, clutch and axles left. I may get a spoiler (I like the Modbargains one, which is based on the ABFlug iirc), and some side skirts (it does look kind of off with out any). That's really about all I have left lol. I may replace the Megan Trailing arms with the adjustable ones, and go to better LCA's (interested in Velox Motorsports' that are under development). Other than that... just maintenance and smiles per gallon.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
Kwaziekeller

Garage
Added the FT86SF/Velox splitter endplates and front wheel deflectors. I've since moved the plastic from the wheel-liner to inbetween the CF and the fender due to concerns it would possibly pull over the hex head cap screws/washers. Pretty happy with them so far. Can notice that the aero balance is shifted forward, as well as in increase in front end grip. I haven't noticed much of a gas mileage penalty due to the drag from the endplates, but haven't had her on long trips yet. Looks pretty intimidating from the front...

PS... I'm ready for warmer overnight lows so I can put my RPF1's and Direzza ZII's back on!

Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #13
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Garage
Nice! This is the first FRS I have seen with the deflectors. I am considering them myself. The only thing holding me back is my canards. I am not too sure how great those would look with these.
The Following User Says Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
Kwaziekeller (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #14
Kwaziekeller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
Nice! This is the first FRS I have seen with the deflectors. I am considering them myself. The only thing holding me back is my canards. I am not too sure how great those would look with these.

I'm not sure. I definitely haven't seen anyone running canards and these endplates. The endplates are pretty new, so I imagine they'll start popping up more and more. I didn't want to clog up your build thread with talk of the deflectors etc. They're a little longer than stock, but still have a good bit of ground clearance. I haven't had them scrape anything yet and I've been over some speed bumps, buckling cracks in the roads, potholes, and my muddy driveway lol.

Tags
argento, driveway labs, frs, sterling silver, velox motorsports