follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #29
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
So I had mine replaced quite a few months ago, but now it begs the question of whether the replacement I got was just another "defective" part that will go bad again. Like, are they only just now installing "upgraded" parts when you have it fixed?

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #30
Kicker18

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
So I had mine replaced quite a few months ago, but now it begs the question of whether the replacement I got was just another "defective" part that will go bad again. Like, are they only just now installing "upgraded" parts when you have it fixed?

I did mine through my dealership a month ago, so I'm getting it "parts warrantied". I also had the older part number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kicker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #31
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Who rides around resting their foot on the clutch?
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #32
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Perfect for us MY 2013 folks who are out of warranty now. -_-
Stang70Fastback (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #33
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicker18 View Post
I did mine through my dealership a month ago, so I'm getting it "parts warrantied". I also had the older part number.
Can you elaborate on what this means? Are you getting your "replacement parts" replaced with the NEW replacement parts? Mine was done summer of last year.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #34
Kicker18

Clutch squeak, grind, groan TSB released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Can you elaborate on what this means? Are you getting your "replacement parts" replaced with the NEW replacement parts? Mine was done summer of last year.

Yea it means Toyota is footing the bill for my replacement parts and compensating me for a portion of the labor time. You should call your dealer and see if they will do the same!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kicker18 For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #35
Ragin Gti

Drives: '15 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal05 View Post
Interesting. I am certain it is coming from the bell housing but I'll have them replace the pedal assembly first and if it continues move on to this. Thanks. Would you happen to have the TSB number for the pedal assembly creak?

The pedal creaking sound(different than the rotational bearing noise) TSB # is 12-215-17.

Ragin Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ragin Gti For This Useful Post:
Ethereal05 (04-24-2017), funwheeldrive (05-10-2017), gcranston (07-03-2018)
Old 04-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #36
quackman

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ manual
I've had the pedal squeaking sound (usually happens but will sometimes go away based on maybe temperature/humidity?) for at least a few months now.... along with another issue I can't seem to find talked about on this forum:

When I start my car when it's cold (e-brake on always when starting) and let off the clutch pedal in neutral (foot off brake) my car shudders/judders trying to go forward the slightest bit... but won't bc of the handbrake. it's not even close to violent and a passenger wouldn't notice unless I point it out in advance, but I do when I start my car to go to and leave work.

Anyone know if this is possibly related or should I make a new thread?
I brought my car to the dealership for the 45k mile service a couple weeks ago and mentioned the squeaky pedal and judder when letting out the clutch after starting. They said it'd be a few hundred dollars just to open up the car to determine the cause and only then see if it's covered under powertrain warranty.... if it's NOT and it's what they think it is, replacing the clutch, they say it would cost me $1,700. rip off or should one of these TSB be covering me?

Thanks
quackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #37
nyfries

Drives: 14 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have the very very annoying squeak in the clutch pedal when i depress it but none of the throwout bearing sound. I know what a bad bearing sounds like i also own some old hondas =p

Will i be able to get the squeak fix? I'm in canada btw
nyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #38
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackman View Post
I've had the pedal squeaking sound (usually happens but will sometimes go away based on maybe temperature/humidity?) for at least a few months now.... along with another issue I can't seem to find talked about on this forum:

When I start my car when it's cold (e-brake on always when starting) and let off the clutch pedal in neutral (foot off brake) my car shudders/judders trying to go forward the slightest bit... but won't bc of the handbrake. it's not even close to violent and a passenger wouldn't notice unless I point it out in advance, but I do when I start my car to go to and leave work.

Anyone know if this is possibly related or should I make a new thread?
I brought my car to the dealership for the 45k mile service a couple weeks ago and mentioned the squeaky pedal and judder when letting out the clutch after starting. They said it'd be a few hundred dollars just to open up the car to determine the cause and only then see if it's covered under powertrain warranty.... if it's NOT and it's what they think it is, replacing the clutch, they say it would cost me $1,700. rip off or should one of these TSB be covering me?

Thanks
I can't answer your question, but I'm getting kind of sick and tired of Subaru/Toyota customer service on these cars.

I've taken mine to the dealership a couple times with some specific issues for them to look into for me and they refuse to even start the car up and listen to it or drive it around the block. "No CEL, no issue" they say. I know for a fact that's bullshit.

I'd gladly offer them to hold on to my car for a week if they needed to, to figure it out or catch it acting up.

I'm sure they cover more than they deny but it's still frustrating to see so many people denied, ignored, or helped entirely too late as is the case with the TSB.
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #39
SillySaxon

Drives: Sc10n Series FR-S
Garage
Sounds like horsecrap to me that they're saying it's due to resting on the clutch. Most of my 60K miles are highway and I rest my foot on the foot rest, never on the clutch. Sounds more like it's overheating because the part has tolerance issues and shitty lubricant
catsspat (04-18-2017), Kicker18 (04-18-2017), spikyone (08-06-2018)
Old 04-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #40
Kicker18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySaxon View Post
Sounds like horsecrap to me that they're saying it's due to resting on the clutch. Most of my 60K miles are highway and I rest my foot on the foot rest, never on the clutch. Sounds more like it's overheating because the part has tolerance issues and shitty lubricant

That's exactly the issue. The vast majority of owners aren't complete imbeciles and don't rest their foot on anything other than the footrest. This is just a BS way for Toyota/Subaru to void warranty claims and skirt responsibility.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #41
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Gti View Post
Subaru TSB 03-77-17, dated 1/3/17, for a "rotational sound from clutch release bearing". New TOB part # 30502AA150. Covers '13-'17 BRZ. New bearing installed in cars from VIN H*600825 and up.

Having this done on my BRZ next Monday. The Tech who was working on my car today said this isn't due to the driver. He said it varies with each car, but the bearing just gets dry. That it can happen 2k miles in, or 60k miles in. Each one is different. He also said that there was a TSB released for this on the WRX as well. Take that how you will, but I will be receiving the updated unit. Tech said it's about a 5-6 hour job, FYI.
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #42
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
I'm at 56k now and the "faint honk", "crickets" and "rubber ducky" are all present..

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote