follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #547
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
Yeah I was talking about where I made a red arrow. Noticed the more inner J-Hooks also have some very slight grooving on yours and mine but it's barely noticeable.

I also noticed my left front brakes sound like a train going "chee chee" at low speeds after I swapped back to street pads. I'll make a sound clip and post it. I'm guessing I might of slightly warped my left rotor.
Are you using the C300 or S100 in the front?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #548
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
sounds like pad deposits.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #549
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Are you using the C300 or S100 in the front?
As of right now Hawks HPS. I was using C300 for the track
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #550
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
As of right now Hawks HPS. I was using C300 for the track
Sounds like you may have deposits... just bed the HPS and u should be ok
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #551
MSTiFK8R

Drives: BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
just FYI - my choice on pads for the Essex Endurance kit

I went with Ferodo DS2500 allaraound for the street use (huggy & acceptably silent), and will be swapping the fronts for AP C300 for the events, leaving rears with DS2500's
Jeff assured me this combo would work great in both cases

Cheers!
MSTiFK8R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSTiFK8R For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (01-24-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #552
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Grooved discs
A little bit of grooving on any disc with race pads is nearly inevitable. I don't think I've ever tracked a car without having some sort of minor grooves appear on a disc. When I worked at StopTech and had their brakes on my C5 Z06, the discs looked like Pringles! That said, I never had any problems as a result. As Dave was alluding to, if you're tracking your care frequently, you're going to crack your discs long before you run them thin...period. So nothing to worry about there.

Hanakuso,
Your discs are not warped. And yes, the hat is seated properly on the disc. Please don't waste your time searching for a "problem" because of a little squealing. That's just pad interaction on the disc face. When you run ANY pad hot on a disc, it's going to leave a film of pad on the disc called a transfer layer. All pads are different, and how much and how thick the transfer layer is will be different...and how that pad reacts with other pads is going to always be different. When swapping from street to track pads, you have to manage the process. Have you ever seen this video I did? There's another one on there about bedding pads as well.

If you guys start running into massive judder/vibration (you hit the brakes and the brake pedal and steering wheel go thunka-thunka-thunka), then you need to start looking at solutions...and you will know if, when that happens...and that can happen, even with the best system. You just have to know how to manage your brakes.

From everything I've read/seen in these last two pages...everything is working awesome, and as intended, with our systems under heavy track use. No brake fade, no judder, soft pedal, no odd pad wear, no serious disc cracking even after quite a few events and extended hot lapping sessions.
Is that a fair statement? It's obvious that some of you have been to this rodeo before, and others have not. Those of you who haven't just need to understand/and learn about what you're seeing and how brakes react to getting cycled at 1200 degrees F over, and over, and over again. I'll do my best to show you that. The videos on our website will help a bit, and I can answer other questions. Finally, if you're ever unsure about something, just call me! :happy0180:

Off to a meeting...I'll check back in later to answer any other questions. Thanks.

JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
track_warrior (02-05-2013), WillRacer1jz (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #553
JRitt

Quote:
How much track use will the endurance kit take?; I do about 10 trackdays a year and will add an sc kit shortly.
As someone else mentioned, we've had 300+ whp FT86's run our smaller Sprint system without any issues. The same components are regularly winning races on 500hp circle track late models. We use the components from our Endurance system on C5 and C6 Corvettes, Evo's, STI's, M3's, FD RX7's, etc...all substantially faster and heavier cars. These brakes offer stellar track performance on all of those platforms...you can see some of the customer responses on our blog under the "essex racing" tag.

There is a red 643 WHP Lancer Evo RS in San Jose California regularly running our Endurance System on the track, and they work great on that car. If that thing can't put a dent in the Endurance System's armor, an FT86 certainly won't.

To answer your question directly, even the most souped up FT86, on a brutal braking track, with a top driver will not exceed the Endurance System's performance envelope. That's precisely why it is designed the way it is!

The Following User Says Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
ICantAffordAnLFA (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #554
ICantAffordAnLFA

Drives: Brz, Legacy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
As someone else mentioned, we've had 300+ whp FT86's run our smaller Sprint system without any issues. The same components are regularly winning races on 500hp circle track late models. We use the components from our Endurance system on C5 and C6 Corvettes, Evo's, STI's, M3's, FD RX7's, etc...all substantially faster and heavier cars. These brakes offer stellar track performance on all of those platforms...you can see some of the customer responses on our blog under the "essex racing" tag.

There is a red 643 WHP Lancer Evo RS in San Jose California regularly running our Endurance System on the track, and they work great on that car. If that thing can't put a dent in the Endurance System's armor, an FT86 certainly won't.

To answer your question directly, even the most souped up FT86, on a brutal braking track, with a top driver will not exceed the Endurance System's performance envelope. That's precisely why it is designed the way it is!
I'll be sending you an email; just need to recheck the fitting template.

I've 18x7.5 CE28s
ICantAffordAnLFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #555
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Grooved discs
Hanakuso,
Your discs are not warped. And yes, the hat is seated properly on the disc. Please don't waste your time searching for a "problem" because of a little squealing. That's just pad interaction on the disc face. When you run ANY pad hot on a disc, it's going to leave a film of pad on the disc called a transfer layer. All pads are different, and how much and how thick the transfer layer is will be different...and how that pad reacts with other pads is going to always be different. When swapping from street to track pads, you have to manage the process. Have you ever seen this video I did? There's another one on there about bedding pads as well.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense about why there is some noise. I wasn't too concerned since it was just purely noise, I didn't have any negative braking feel like shutter, vibrations, etc. Just thought I might of reinstalled the street pads incorrectly.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #556
JRitt

Big news on the AP Racing road car systems gentlemen. We are officially getting the fully built AP Racing front and rear system that fits stock wheels!

I'm going to start a new thread on them and get all the details up on our blog. Thanks.:happy0180:

The Following User Says Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (01-24-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #557
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Big news on the AP Racing road car systems gentlemen. We are officially getting the fully built AP Racing front and rear system that fits stock wheels!

I'm going to start a new thread on them and get all the details up on our blog. Thanks.:happy0180:
Not for me, but nice!
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #558
Ro_Ja

Drives: TOYOTA
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
YAY!!!!
Ro_Ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #559
JRitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja View Post
YAY!!!!
You asked for it buddy...now you better buy one.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #560
Ro_Ja

Drives: TOYOTA
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
You asked for it buddy...now you better buy one.
Oh, don't you worry.
Ro_Ja is offline   Reply With Quote