follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #15
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheR3d1 View Post
10k my dads insurance is going to have to come into play but apperently I was not a listed driver under his insurance so they are making a big deal out of that. I was under the impression that car insurance follows the car not the driver is this correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
My insurance covers the driver, not the car.

Depends on whether you are an 'occasional' driver or a family member driving the car regularly (particularly if you are under 25).

For example, with my insurance company the insurance rate on the FR-S is based on my age/record even though I have two sons in my household, on my insurance, under the age of 25. That is because they have their own car where they are listed primary driver.

If they were listed as primary driver of the FRS, or did not have their own car, the insurance on the FRS or MomHawk's Mustang would be substantially more.

If they were driving my car (which is covered) but the insurance company determined they were really the primary driver of the FR-S, then the company could deny the claim.

So, yes the insurance coverage follows the car, but the rate charged for the insurance is based on the primary driver.

Not saying that is your situation, but I'm pretty sure if my 19 year old wrecked my FR-S, the insurance company would be within their rights to ask for some sort of verification I had not been committing insurance fraud by playing around with who drives what to avoid higher rates.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-17-2017), wparsons (01-18-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
It'll be close but I don't think it's totalled. Not all the airbags went off and unless there's hidden unibody damage (if there is- all bets are off, it's totalled) it's only 2 body panels and a door (and the door may even be salvageable).

The only thing that makes me think it's totalled is that flat tire. Why would a tire be flat for a collision with a door? There may be damage up in the wheel well we can't see?
Probably got towed over some debris. The whole door mech will be toast and more trouble to fix than it is worth. That is a whole new door there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I think because the damage can be seen going all the way up to the wheel well, it's likely the car struck the wheel/tire as well. The rear quarter, door, and fender all show damage, and virtually any car on the road is plenty bigger than ours even in profile, so it wouldn't surprise me if she hit his wheel as well. Hits to the side unfortunately don't often turn out well. When you bend a car that way, especially one built with materials as light as ours is, it's tough to bend them back and have them be the same.
There is zero sign of damage on either wheel and the dents in the panels don't even come close to any structure. The bigger concern I have is that crumpled rocker panel since that could very well have snapped some welds up inside.
guybo (01-18-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #17
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
@Tcoat got a ninja post on the insurance rates in while I was being long-winded...so what he said!

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #18
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
@Tcoat got a ninja post on the insurance rates in while I was being long-winded...so what he said!
I think your detailed explanation trumps my one line "Ya you may be screwed" post though.
Dadhawk (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #19
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
That car looks repairable to me, but I'm no expert. None of the glass broke, which tells me the impact wasn't hard enough to damage anything further in. The flat tired could be caused by the lateral movement breaking the bead. It's happened to me on the track. Tire was fine, just dirty.

The insurance company or you are going to have to go after her to collect.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #20
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There is zero sign of damage on either wheel and the dents in the panels don't even come close to any structure. The bigger concern I have is that crumpled rocker panel since that could very well have snapped some welds up inside.
All I'm saying is it is possible that the wheel or tire was hit because you can see that the hit went all the way up to the rear of the wheel well on the fender, so the Avenger could have made contact with the tire/wheel. Didn't say it was definite based on any perceived damage to the tire or wheel aside from the tire looking pretty flat. As you said, the rocker panel may have been pretty damaged from the hit, so I guess we just have different ways of saying the car may be bent. These cars don't really strike me as the type to be hit and survive. They're light, and the body panels are light. They'll get hit and protect you as an occupant, but at the cost of themselves. I could be wrong, but I never claimed to know it all or be an expert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
All I'm saying is it is possible that the wheel or tire was hit because you can see that the hit went all the way up to the rear of the wheel well on the fender, so the Avenger could have made contact with the tire/wheel. Didn't say it was definite based on any perceived damage to the tire or wheel aside from the tire looking pretty flat. As you said, the rocker panel may have been pretty damaged from the hit, so I guess we just have different ways of saying the car may be bent. These cars don't really strike me as the type to be hit and survive. They're light, and the body panels are light. They'll get hit and protect you as an occupant, but at the cost of themselves. I could be wrong, but I never claimed to know it all or be an expert.
Nailed it! They are indeed self sacrificing little guys. You look at some of the cars that guys walked away from and just know that if that had been something from the 60s or 70s they would have been nothing but a thin paste inside the car.
Dadhawk (01-17-2017), Overdrive (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #22
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

Drives: 2016 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheR3d1 View Post
Update: .... More bad news is that she has a 10k limit for collision so if my car repairs are going to be more than. 10k my dads insurance is going to have to come into play but apperently I was not a listed driver under his insurance so they are making a big deal out of that.
First off, I hope that you are ok and there were no injuries.

The bad news should be for her in this situation. If the other driver is at fault in this situation they are responsible to cover the damages that they caused whether it is 10k or 100k. What they are liable for has nothing to do with the amount of insurance coverage that they have but the amount of damage that they have caused. This persons insurance will only cover so much, that is true, but you still have the right to go after them personally to cover the repair costs to your car. I don't want to come across as sue happy but I would consider it an option for a valid debt.

Your dad's insurance may not want to pay for an under-insured driver if their customer was not at the wheel but the other driver is still responsible for the damage.

Ever wonder why many home owners carry more insurance than the required minimums? A home is an asset that can be leined in the event they owe a debt.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamjacob For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #23
PSi
Banned

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
Ehh, when the airbags go off it's very likely the car is going to be totaled.

You could get an STI or a new BRZ/86.

Sorry about the accident man, and I'm glad someone was able to get her plates. But if I were you, I'd invest in a dash cam with some of that insurance money
what is the dashcam going to do exactly when it is pointing forward and he got t-boned? i get the feeling most people that always say get a dashcam have never actually used one and learned of its real world limitations.

he won't be able to get the plate number...at least it will only show his insurance that he wasn't at fault resulting in the car crash but that is about it
PSi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PSi For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #24
TheR3d1

Drives: 2015 SCION FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it. I'll keep you updated once the dealer lets me know what's going on. Today when I drove the car to get into the tow truck I felt like it was unbalanced a little shaky like the suspension was Lower on one side it could of just been me idk. We will have to wait and see what they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheR3d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #25
Bowen