follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2022, 05:10 AM   #1
aprl

Drives: 2020 first gen WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Need help with bleeding coolant

Hey,

Been watching videos and reading forums all day but no luck. Currently the situation is like this:

- Excess coolant reservoir is past full line at this point
- Levels of coolant seen when removing radiator cap is low and either:
a. Add more coolant, open bleed valve and nothing happens
b. Open bleed valve before adding coolant and radiator neck becomes full now unable to add any more coolant
- Either way bleed valve does not ooze coolant which means there's still air in the system

Can anyone chime in on what I'm doing wrong or what their process is like?

UPDATE:
After revving to 3k rpms 3 times and waiting several minutes again for the 20th time, the radiator neck levels after removing cap looks full, but opening bleed valve still does nothing and is not oozing any coolant. What do I do now?

Last edited by aprl; 10-24-2022 at 05:27 AM.
aprl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I followed the directions in the service manual, which the Grimmspeed DIY does a decent job of paraphrasing: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9883

You have a no-spill coolant funnel? That will raise the fluid line and allow you to fill and overflow the heater core bleed.

And try running the car up to full operating temperature with heater running on max hot min blower, then allowing the car to cool down completely before you check levels again
EndlessAzure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:27 PM   #3
aprl

Drives: 2020 first gen WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
I followed the directions in the service manual, which the Grimmspeed DIY does a decent job of paraphrasing: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9883
That's the guide I was using. On steps 12, 13, and 14, the coolant level does not drop after unscrewing the bleed valve and coolant never comes out of the bleed valve either so I don't know what to do next.

For me the coolant level is dropped after removing the radiator cap, but if I unscrew the bleed valve it becomes full again. I've just been adding coolant to radiator before opening the bleed valve. When I fill it up and open the bleed valve afterwards, I can see the radiator fluid bob up and down again. Still no coolant coming out of the bleed valve.

Reservoir is below full line while cold and over full line while hot.

Last edited by aprl; 10-25-2022 at 01:42 AM.
aprl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 03:53 AM   #4
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Again, I would try getting and using a no-spill coolant fill funnel so you can give yourself confidence if you're looking to flow coolant out the bleed valve.

I used one, and I don't recall having any issues.
EndlessAzure is online now   Reply With Quote