follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
Ricco

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WRX 2 pot rear calipers

As you can see, I'm doing the 4 pot/2 pot brake 'upgrade' on my BRZ. These are old school GC Impreza or 06/07 WRX brake calipers.

Obviously, the fronts bolt straight on same as stock, but I'm having some trouble with the rear.

Everything I have read indicates that the rears should just bolt straight on (with the Kartboy adapters of course) using the stock 290mm rotors, however I haven't found many folks running this setup, mostly the 08+ STI rear Brembos.

Main reference for this can be found here http://knsbrakes.com/c/kns-bracket

I just don't seem to be able to get things to fit right, the caliper bracket interferes with the backing plate if I try to bolt it to the inside of the knuckle (which is where I think it is supposed to go), and I just don't seem to be able to get things to fit any other way.

I'll head out soon and snap a few pics of what I am talking about once I've finished watching the Malaysia GP

In the meantime, can anyone verify that my thinking is correct and I should be able to use my stock rotors with this setup? If you have pics of how things are all put together too, that would be awesome.

Here is one of the pictures I have found but I don't think this is an FRS/BRZ.

I know this is my first post on this forum, but please don't tell me to search, or tell me the stock brakes are fine and don't need t=changed out. I've been researching this for hours this morning and have done several hours of searching previously too. I'm not a noob, I just tend not to post much on any forum I frequent.. Mostly due to being able to find what I need through searching.
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
The kartboy adapters only work with the older cars, such as an 02-05 wrx. The brackets for the 08+ impreza and BRZ are different, and you need to get those ones that KNS makes.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
DylanJZA (04-06-2023), Racecomp Engineering (10-01-2017), SuperTom (08-04-2018)
Old 10-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Ricco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
The kartboy adapters only work with the older cars, such as an 02-05 wrx. The brackets for the 08+ impreza and BRZ are different, and you need to get those ones that KNS makes.
Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think that I probably had the wrong brackets. Guess I got confused between Kartboy V2 and KNS v2 adapters. I've ordered a set of the KNS ones.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Yeah, Kartboy only makes brackets for the older cars, and the "V2" was a slight modification to work with brembo calipers as well. There's no difference in the mounting between the Pre-08 brembo and 2-pot, but the first kartboy bracket interfered with the tabs on the brembo.

With KNS, they have the brackets that work like the kartboy, but their "v2" is meant to work on the "v2" newer uprights. When the rear suspension went to multi-link like what's on the brz, the calipers and rotors changed a bit. I think mostly the difference is the offset from the hub surface to the disc itself.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Ricco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
Yeah, Kartboy only makes brackets for the older cars, and the "V2" was a slight modification to work with brembo calipers as well. There's no difference in the mounting between the Pre-08 brembo and 2-pot, but the first kartboy bracket interfered with the tabs on the brembo.

With KNS, they have the brackets that work like the kartboy, but their "v2" is meant to work on the "v2" newer uprights. When the rear suspension went to multi-link like what's on the brz, the calipers and rotors changed a bit. I think mostly the difference is the offset from the hub surface to the disc itself.
Another perfect explanation, thanks again. Are KNS the only place offering the brackets for the newer uprights? Guess it's too late for me since I just ordered the KNS one's but I'm always interested in learning other sources.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
Ricco

Just received my KNS adapters, very loose test fit seems like they should be perfect. Just waiting on a new strut and the camber plates to arrive before I can finish it up.