follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #29
puma
crew chief

Drives: Race car FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I can outline the steps for you.

- Let the car cool down
- Break loose the 6 hex bolts that secure the pulley onto the supercharger
- Release the tension on the serpentine belt. I usually push down the factory tensioner, and then pull the belt out from around the alternator. You can then release the factory tensioner and the belt will be slack
- Take out all 6 hex bolts from the pulley
- Swap pulleys
- Apply a dab of red locktite to the hex bolts and re-insert them to secure the pulley to the supercharger. Hand tighten loosely.
- Press down on the factory tensioner, and re-install belt. Release tensioner. Verify that the belt is properly routed. *double check belt to make sure it is properly routed
- Torque down the 6 hex bolts to spec.

Note: the belt provides all the support/traction you need to break loose and tighten the bolts attaching the pulley to the supercharger.

On a cold car, I can do this in under 5 minutes total.

excellent, thanks a lot.

Stupid exchange rate, should have bought that a year ago.
puma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puma For This Useful Post:
Calum (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #30
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
No need to swap tune maps, as long as car is running 93+ or custom E85 then?
If you are tuned on the high boost pulley, you will be okay running the lower boost pulley, but not vice versa.

It's similar to getting tuned at sea level, and then visiting high elevation where the car will have less air to compress and ingest.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
86Tony (04-03-2016), juliog (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #31
Jackson Racing

Drives: JR FR-S,
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I can outline the steps for you.

- Let the car cool down
- Break loose the 6 hex bolts that secure the pulley onto the supercharger
- Release the tension on the serpentine belt. I usually push down the factory tensioner, and then pull the belt out from around the alternator. You can then release the factory tensioner and the belt will be slack
- Take out all 6 hex bolts from the pulley
- Swap pulleys
- Apply a dab of red locktite to the hex bolts and re-insert them to secure the pulley to the supercharger. Hand tighten loosely.
- Press down on the factory tensioner, and re-install belt. Release tensioner. Verify that the belt is properly routed. *double check belt to make sure it is properly routed
- Torque down the 6 hex bolts to spec.

Note: the belt provides all the support/traction you need to break loose and tighten the bolts attaching the pulley to the supercharger.

On a cold car, I can do this in under 5 minutes total.
I just wrote this out, posted, and saw @CSG Mike answered. Doh.

Couple of notes:
• Remove the throttle body tube to get to the pulley easier.
• I'd recommend tightening down the pulley before releasing belt tension onto the pulley. You want to make sure the pulley is properly seated onto the Rotrex unit. Then after the belt is on there, do a final torque check. Do not over tighten.

-Oscar Jr.
Jackson Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jackson Racing For This Useful Post:
clayrush (08-25-2015), CSG David (08-25-2015), CSG Mike (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #32
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@CSG Mike @Jackson Racing

With the required supporting mods, i.e. bigger injectors, fuel pump and custom tune, can this smaller pulley be run with 91 octane on occasion? Like on road trips where e85 is not available. The custom tune should be able to pull enough timing when on 91 octane? Or do I have to change my driving habits when on 91. No WOT or redline shifts? I think I understand that there is no point in running 91 with the HBP because so much timing has to be pulled but I'm just wondering would it be safe when I'm not near a e85 station?
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dj2020 For This Useful Post:
clayrush (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #33
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post

With the required supporting mods, i.e. bigger injectors, fuel pump and custom tune, can this smaller pulley be run with 91 octane on occasion? Like on road trips where e85 is not available. The custom tune should be able to pull enough timing when on 91 octane? Or do I have to change my driving habits when on 91. No WOT or redline shifts? I think I understand that there is no point in running 91 with the HBP because so much timing has to be pulled but I'm just wondering would it be safe when I'm not near a e85 station?
Yes you can, but I would recommend keeping it easy; don't redline, and avoid WOT.

Think of it as being similar to running 87 octane in a stock FRS. You technically *can*, but it's not ideal at all.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #34
Jackson Racing

Drives: JR FR-S,
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post

This is all dependent on how your tuning is setup with your tuner. A lot of guys are doing 91/E85 flexfuel. So yes, in that case you can run the high boost pulley on 91... If your tuner has setup the tuning for it.

I would not blanket trust all tuners to put in the necessary safety that allows a 93+ octane tune to be ran on 91. I also don't trust myself to not go WOT.

In the end, the way your custom tuning setup is between you and your tuner. The safety of the high boost pulley on your car is in your tuner's hands.
Jackson Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackson Racing For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (08-25-2015), Jmonty (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #35
dj2020

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Lol. I also wouldn't trust myself NOT to go WOT come to think of it.

Long story short, get a good flex fuel 91/e85 tune from a reputable tuner if running HBP with required supporting mods.

Thanks @CSG Mike and @Jackson Racing
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dj2020 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #36
fasteddy

Any chance of an updated tune from Jackson Racing for this pulley?

(for those of us that have the carb tune and don't live in CA)

Pat
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #37
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
Any chance of an updated tune from Jackson Racing for this pulley?

(for those of us that have the carb tune and don't live in CA)

Pat
No. Every setup is different and one tune cannot encompass all the variety of parts you can put on the car. We'll have something in the shack to accommodate for the changes.

Finally...I get to post something before @Jackson Racing and @CSG Mike. YESSSS!
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
clayrush (08-25-2015), ScionOfHorus (08-25-2015), The Racers Line (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #38
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Will the motor really survive for a long time running this type of HP and being beat on? The trans? The Diff? Half shafts?

Will the JR oil cooler keep this oil temps under control on track at this HP level?

We have E85 locally, but only 91 and in most of the surrounding states only 91. Suggestions on a tuner who could produce a safe 91 octance tune for hard use?
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #39
CSG David

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Will the motor really survive for a long time running this type of HP and being beat on? The trans? The Diff? Half shafts?

Will the JR oil cooler keep this oil temps under control on track at this HP level?

We have E85 locally, but only 91 and in most of the surrounding states only 91. Suggestions on a tuner who could produce a safe 91 octance tune for hard use?
1. "For Off-Road, Racing Use Only!"
The power game is such a lustful region to be in.

2. It has so far.

3. 91 is marginal at best. How comfortable do you feel about running 87 octane on a full bolt-on NA setup FA20? Not everybody can be like Austin Powers and have "Danger" as their middle name.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #40
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
1. "For Off-Road, Racing Use Only!"
The power game is such a lustful region to be in.

2. It has so far.

3. 91 is marginal at best. How comfortable do you feel about running 87 octane on a full bolt-on NA setup FA20? Not everybody can be like Austin Powers and have "Danger" as their middle name.

1. I know that's why I'm afraid to go down the FI rabbit hole. Something that will hold up to an HPDE weekend and not window the block after 5000 miles is paramount. But the extra power would be nice on the track and on the street. I suspect staying with base pulley would be the best idea for me if I decide to go this route.

2. What kind of ambient temps? I just ask because it stays HOT here most of the year. And keeping 375whp cool will be much more difficult than 200whp NA.

3. No sir, I don't like it. I imagine the amount of timing you'd have to pull would skyrocket EGTs. (Since I don't know the voodoo behind the flat torque curve tunes like Emilio used to do for NASA)
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #41
CSG David

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
1. I know that's why I'm afraid to go down the FI rabbit hole. Something that will hold up to an HPDE weekend and not window the block after 5000 miles is paramount. But the extra power would be nice on the track and on the street. I suspect staying with base pulley would be the best idea for me if I decide to go this route.

2. What kind of ambient temps? I just ask because it stays HOT here most of the year. And keeping 375whp cool will be much more difficult than 200whp NA.

3. No sir, I don't like it. I imagine the amount of timing you'd have to pull would skyrocket EGTs. (Since I don't know the voodoo behind the flat torque curve tunes like Emilio used to do for NASA)
1. Tune is one major factor, but you are very close to the limit.

2. Fairly dependent on usage and tune. The oil cooler will hold up fine, but this is also conditional as some may want a larger core and some are totally fine with the 15-row core. For example, @sw20kosh uses a 25-row Setrab unit in his near stock BRZ. I don't think anybody else does that setup for that particular application.

3. Refer to Jackson Racing's statement: 93+ or E85. It's not a guideline, it's essentially mandatory. Oh yea...Emilio's tuner.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
mkivsoopra (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #42
350matt

Drives: toyota mr2/ Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
these are numbers are exciting but I seriously doubt that the stock engine is going to last day in day out at this level

we saw the same thing on the EJ25 (subaru WRX) when it 1st came out everybody jumped on the bandwagon, piling in the boost on the stock engine, the dyno queen power figure jumped from 280 to 350 to 450 to 500 and then the 'BANG' started happening to these guys who had been running around on their 'safe' tune at 500bhp after several thousand miles with cracked blocks etc

these days the ambition is more realistic with 350-400 seen as the sensible max for a stock block

I wonder where the Fa20 will settle out at? as I feel we're still in the exciting area before it all starts going 'BANG'
350matt is offline   Reply With Quote