follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
Craig

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I went through this headache with my stealership, I ended up walking away empty handed. I live in jersey and they said all cars are immediately drilled upon receipt. I wanted to call bullshit but I just took the car and never looked back.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
TRBO2NR
Speed Racer

Drives: 94' Supra TT 6MT, 11' Subaru WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to hear that. Hence why I specifically put in my pre-order to have NO front plate and NO dealer sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
There are two small dents/holes on the lower grille beam thing that are used as indicators to where the license plate bracket is intended to be placed.
The holes you are showing are only the mounts for the bottom of the plate holder, there would still be holes drilled into the main part of the bumper cover too, which is what I am guessing he is upset about.

1994 Toyota Supra TT 6spd - BPU+++
2011 Subaru WRX Premium Hatchback
2013 Scion FR-S 6MT Whiteout *SOLD
TRBO2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
GSX-R35

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2010 Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your issue. That's one of the reasons why even though I'm technically closer to San Diego I prefer to buy in Phoenix since Arizona has no front plate at all and so most dealers are used to not putting a front bracket in or drilling holes.

I still make it a point though to tell any dealer I'm buying from that holes in the front bumper will make me walk. Ditto for dealer labels on the back. I'm okay with a plate frame since that's an easy swap but they can keep their stickers 'cause I ain't giving them free advertising on my car and at the same time ruining the clean look of it.

I'd talk to the dealer and just see what they'll say but it may be a hard fight since it is a requirement in Cali to have a front plate and you already bought the car so you're bargaining position isn't really good.
GSX-R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBO2NR View Post
The holes you are showing are only the mounts for the bottom of the plate holder, there would still be holes drilled into the main part of the bumper cover too, which is what I am guessing he is upset about.
You're right it is only for the bottom

I just read the instruction manual fairly quickly and saw that you do have to align those holes to the painted part of the bumper, but I don't understand why the OP has a third hole?

My friend's FR-S has the top of the license plate bracket drilled to the grille so I thought that's how it's supposed to be, and the cars I've seen from numerous dealerships in the Bay Area had it like that in the showroom.

Apologies for my confusion!
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
86for'86

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
I'm at work right now, but I'll post some pics of the drilled bumper holes for the plate when I get home. Still waiting for a callback from the dealer.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
86for'86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
brianlo622

Drives: 2013 FR-S, raven
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Just out of curiousity which dealership did you get your car from?

I bought mine from Stevens Creek Scion and requested them not to wash the car and not to put the front plate on and they delivered on both.
brianlo622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
SVThis

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Make the dealer swap out the bumper covering from a new car that's the same color. This happened to my son when he bought a new GTI this summer. He wouldn't take the car till they made the swap after he told them not to drill holes.
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #22
Mari0
Car Enthusiast

Drives: tC 05 & 07, Rav4
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You guys are...

In CA they are required by law to drill your front bumper since front license plates are required.

If you did not want one, you should have asked the dealer at which point he would have given you a waiver to sign, essentially saying that you take full responsibility (he is no longer liable)

Is he a bit of a-hole for not telling you? yes. But ultimately, it is your responsibility to know the procedure and the laws of your state and if you wanted it that badly, you would have checked what can be done. Simple as that.

Flame all you want, but if you really wanted it, you would have read up on what needed to be done online. The dealer will not replace your bumper now.

Mari0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mari0 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-06-2013)
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #23
mkiisupra

Drives: 83 Toyota Supra, 16 FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
It's only thru experiences like this that you learn what details must be cleared up before the purchase. Be sure topics like this are written on paper and acknowledged.

In 1967 I bought a new Mustang GT and had it specified on the order form: No dealer tag. Back in those days they drilled two holes in the deck lid to mount their dealership name. Went to pick up the car and there was the tag. They ordered another new car.

This!

I have had multiple contacts with possible FR-S's but have not gone any farther when they tell me the front bumper had been defiled with a plate. The current order stands as Hot Lava, MT, and no front drilling, or no sale.

Eric G
mkiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVThis View Post
Make the dealer swap out the bumper covering from a new car that's the same color. This happened to my son when he bought a new GTI this summer. He wouldn't take the car till they made the swap after he told them not to drill holes.
Please do not swap bumpers with another car and ruin it for the next buyer. The bumpers have a vin sticker and swapping them will cause the vin stickers not to match. I doubt any dealer would let you do that.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #25
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
My bumper is also damaged but since I will always have a plate on the front its nit a huge deal. If you are in a state where no front plate is required and they mangled it i would be pissed too.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #26
boonFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS whiteout
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Mario is correct. I told them ahead of time and they made me signed a waiver.
boonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boonFRS For This Useful Post:
Mari0 (11-16-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #27
FRSjeff

Drives: FR-S (red manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari0 View Post
You guys are...

In CA they are required by law to drill your front bumper since front license plates are required.

If you did not want one, you should have asked the dealer at which point he would have given you a waiver to sign, essentially saying that you take full responsibility (he is no longer liable)

Is he a bit of a-hole for not telling you? yes. But ultimately, it is your responsibility to know the procedure and the laws of your state and if you wanted it that badly, you would have checked what can be done. Simple as that.

Flame all you want, but if you really wanted it, you would have read up on what needed to be done online. The dealer will not replace your bumper now.
This is not completely true. I bought my frs in California. I didn't even think to make any requests about what to do or not do to the front bumper. When I took delivery, I didn't see any front plate at all, no dealer plate insert, nothing. I asked and they said they never drill holes in a bumper unless requested to do so. Therefore, my California experience is just the opposite. I'm glad because I then went ahead and installed the tow hook conversion for my plate. I get a lot of positive comments about how they like it installed off to the side, etc.
FRSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #28
Mari0
Car Enthusiast

Drives: tC 05 & 07, Rav4
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSjeff View Post
This is not completely true. I bought my frs in California. I didn't even think to make any requests about what to do or not do to the front bumper. When I took delivery, I didn't see any front plate at all, no dealer plate insert, nothing. I asked and they said they never drill holes in a bumper unless requested to do so. Therefore, my California experience is just the opposite. I'm glad because I then went ahead and installed the tow hook conversion for my plate. I get a lot of positive comments about how they like it installed off to the side, etc.
Quote:
V C Section 11713.17 Front License Plate Bracket

Front License Plate Bracket

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 365, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
Source: DMV.CA.GOV

My guess is, your dealer put that in the papers you signed before taking delivery. If he didn't, he is cool ...and an idiot. From my personal experiences and from what I've read online, your dealer is the exception, not the rule. Most just slap on the front license plate so they don't have to deal with it and be liable. So option (1) is the default that most dealers go for and (2) happens usually when it's per the owner's request.

Last edited by Mari0; 11-17-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Mari0 is offline   Reply With Quote