follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
In 17 years of driving I have never had a flat tire that necessitated replacement of the tire. 17 years x 12 months x $20 is $4080. In that time I've owned 18 vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles, mountain and road bikes) that use pneumatic tires. And I've lived in 5 different places with varying amounts of construction and road hazards. Those are pretty friggin' good odds.

The thing you're not thinking about is yes, used rim and new tire and you break even whether or not you have the warranty - but with the warranty you then have to turn around and pay the warranty again! So one month out you're not broken even again. So unless you're destroying tires once a year you're losing money. You're much better off putting that same amount of money in a savings account. Even at 0.1% interest you're making money. Unless you drive something where a single tire costs $500 or something ridiculous like that. And since you're posting on the FR-S forum I'm fairly confident that you don't.
I understand where your coming from. But, flat tires are notorious down here...and 75%(yes it's an estimate...don't quote me on it) are side wall punctures. Which NO ONE will or should patch.

And honestly, I DO drive something where each tire is upwards of 400 dollars...but that's beside the point. 38" off road tires ain't exactly cheap. But I digress, since those don't have the warranty.
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #16
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_kennington View Post
Might see a flat every 5 years? Is there NO construction that happens in your area? I guess it's unheard of that my family(3 seperate cars mind you) had a flat tire on each vehicle in a 1 week period(all of which work and drive a completely different route every day).

As for the tires being cheap...160 for new tire, typically 10 to mount/balance and puts you at half of the cost alone. Plus if you have rim damage like OP. Your buying a rim. Can you buy used? Sure...let's say you pick up a used rim for 80, and buy your new tire for it. Your now at...240 dollars. You broke even with the warranty, and have a used rim with a new tire.

I'll happily pay 20 dollars a month, and know if I go through two tires a year, I have my complete money's worth.
I think the odds of anyone with decent condition tires getting a flat is extremely slim..OP happened to hit something on the highway. I dont see what construction has to do with flat tires. Most construction is not done in the middle of the street and they dont leave nails atleast in San Diego in the middle of the street..lol..Its extremely odd that 3 of your cars got a flat in one week. The odds of that is literally like 1:1,000,000

But in over 10+ years of driving (guess ive been lucky) Ive never encountered 1 single flat tire *knocks on wood*
Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
Optimus Prime

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm not sure if I'm in the minority here, but my tire and wheel coverage is less than $5/month. Anything higher and I probably wouldn't have purchased it, but for that price, it was a no brainer.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote