follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #85
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Had a UOA done by Blackstone to see how my car is doing at 82,000 miles. I've had the car since 6,000 miles so I am pleased to know that the car is still happy after all this time. Car has been tuned on e85 for roughly 45,000 miles.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #86
MCTeeJ

Garage
Random pic drop.

Been thinking about selling my 18x9 wheels and buying some 17's with 245/40 tires. Perhaps in 2019.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #87
MCTeeJ

Garage
Took this last weekend to install some parts. Threw in the Whiteline trans insert and diff cradle inserts.

Review:
For under $100 combined I think these products are worth it. NVH has increased, but that was to be expected. One thing I noticed while reading about them before install: many people reported better shifter feel after the trans insert install. Maybe my shifter already feels fine because I've changed to Motul fluid, but I did not notice a difference there. However, I will say that these inserts have helped fight the "rubber band" effect that happens with the stock bushings when you step on the gas pedal. The car just goes now; seems to respond to my inputs more quickly than before.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #88
MCTeeJ

Garage
Preventative Maintenance:

So about 20k miles ago I replaced cylinder 1's bad ignition coil with a revised version from Subaru for the 2013-14 cars. I decided to complete the set of revised coils so I bought the remaining 3 and installed them yesterday. I know a lot of people don't replace coils until they go bad, but the way I saw it I'd rather have the entire set of updated coils on the car as opposed to a mix match of 1 new coil and 3 original with 83k miles on them. Install was a bit of a pain as it's a tight squeeze but I finished up in a little over an hour. I honestly expected no change because the car ran fine beforehand, but idle is actually consistently smoother than it was before. Even when using the ac or dropping the windows the idle stays strong. Not a bad way to spend a day off from work.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #89
MCTeeJ

Garage
Got some TRD style carbon fender fins. I had to take off the supplied tape and reapply better tape with adhesion promoter. Fitment is ok at best. If I had to do it again I would likely spend the extra money on the real ones.

That being said, I still very much like the look.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #90
MCTeeJ

Garage
New Wheels!

Konig Hypergram 17x9 +40 with a Sumitomo HTRZIII 245/40 tire

Much lighter wheel and much better tire than my previous setup all while staying relatively low cost. I'm likely going to get a set of rear LCA soon to dial out some of the camber in the back considering I don't need it anymore.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #91
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The wheels look great, especially in that color! Have you decided on LCA's yet??

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #92
MCTeeJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
The wheels look great, especially in that color! Have you decided on LCA's yet??
Thanks!

Leaning toward Cusco or Verus, but still undecided. I really should get on it too; I'd like to get my alignment done so I can go from -4 (camber) front down to like -3.2 or so. The rear is about -3, and I'd like to target around -2 and see how that does.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #93
JeremyR

I'm running -3.2 front and -2.4 rear and it feels great! 0 toe all around as well.

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #94
MCTeeJ

Garage
Quote:
I'm running -3.2 front and -2.4 rear and it feels great! 0 toe all around as well.
If you could do a hair of toe in on the rear, would you? I've heard people like that. Stability, and such.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #95
JeremyR

It's good you mentioned that! I don't daily the car so I am a bit indecisive if I want to or not. I haven't driven it enough at the track yet to make that call. The car feels great and feels very nimble. My car background is mostly drifting so I am used to cars set up a bit looser in the rear. Also, with the larger wheels and tires I'm running it helps make the car transition easier too.

I based the specs I chose off of feedback from members on alignment thread and speed academy, who runs the same wheel/tire size I do. I would like to get some caster adjustment for the front and bring it up higher, which will help with stability as well.
http://speed.academy/track-alignment-specs-scion-frs/
On my drift car I ran very similar toe specs to what they use for their FR-S, but I ran more caster and camber up front to help with contact patch and counter steer at full lock.

I feel like zero toe is a good baseline for the car, and then do minor adjustments based on your needs. I would run maybe +0.02 to +0.05 of toe in for the rear to get a bit more stability. But even when I drive long distance I don't have any issues. Car tracks straight and rides smooth.

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #96
MCTeeJ

Garage
Quote:
It's good you mentioned that! I don't daily the car so I am a bit indecisive if I want to or not. I haven't driven it enough at the track yet to make that call. The car feels great and feels very nimble. My car background is mostly drifting so I am used to cars set up a bit looser in the rear. Also, with the larger wheels and tires I'm running it helps make the car transition easier too.

I based the specs I chose off of feedback from members on alignment thread and speed academy, who runs the same wheel/tire size I do. I would like to get some caster adjustment for the front and bring it up higher, which will help with stability as well.
http://speed.academy/track-alignment-specs-scion-frs/
On my drift car I ran very similar toe specs to what they use for their FR-S, but I ran more caster and camber up front to help with contact patch and counter steer at full lock.

I feel like zero toe is a good baseline for the car, and then do minor adjustments based on your needs. I would run maybe +0.02 to +0.05 of toe in for the rear to get a bit more stability. But even when I drive long distance I don't have any issues. Car tracks straight and rides smooth.
Thanks Jeremy this is useful info.

I do daily mine so tire wear is something I have to consider, but like we agreed the minor rear addition shouldn't hurt. Up to about 85k miles now! Got it in 2015 with 6k on the clock.

Edit: As for the caster adjustment I hear Whiteline has a product for that! I've been considering it myself given how happy I am with their products I currently have.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #97
MCTeeJ

Garage
Last weekend I brought my car to my friend's shop to fix some pesky exhaust leaks and to perform a compression test. Why a compression test? Well a few weeks prior I unfortunately had an overrev event after getting locked out of 4th gear. 8500 rpm.....not great, lol. So I just wanted to make sure everything is still ship shape down there.

Anyway, pictured is cylinders 1, 3, 2, and 4, in that order.

Very pleased with the results. The lowest cylinder to the highest is about a 5% difference.

Other notes:
spark plugs look good; about 20k on them
I had some slight leaks at the manifold connection and both overpipe connections. I think the STi manifold gaskets did the job, but the exhaust sealant we put on the over pipe didn't take. Trying Remflex due to an obvious warped flange. Hopefully that's the fix.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #98
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The car is so clean bro like jeez your avatar is probably one of my favorite pictures of an FRS. Less really is more. I really appreciate the minimalistic and simplistic approach to your build and hope to replicate it on my own car. Got anything else planned?
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (07-09-2019)