follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #15
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqd View Post
Harrop's Australian And the Edelbrock is very expensive.

I can get a used Sprintex for a looot cheaper than an Edelbrock, and I don't think I've ever seen a Harrop kit for sale, at least not used..

When I started the thread I had found a well-priced 210, so that's why I was curious
IMO "Cheap" and "Boost" are very rarely words that should be put together. Coming from very recent experience (i.e., I still haven't even installed my JRSC Kit yet), I've spent about an additional ~$1500 on supporting mods (Oil Cooler, Flex Fuel, Injectors, Fuel Pump, Fuel Starvation Door, Catch Cans, BPV, 4 BAR MAP) on top of the JSRC C30 kit to make ensure smooth and safe operation. And I've still put some money into the reserves in the terrible event of a blown engine.

If you are positive the used Sprintex you are looking at is a safe bet, than you are saving a ton (which is awesome!), but put that savings towards some "less sexy" supporting mods to keep it safe and reliable.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #16
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
IMO "Cheap" and "Boost" are very rarely words that should be put together. Coming from very recent experience (i.e., I still haven't even installed my JRSC Kit yet), I've spent about an additional ~$1500 on supporting mods (Oil Cooler, Flex Fuel, Injectors, Fuel Pump, Fuel Starvation Door, Catch Cans, BPV, 4 BAR MAP) on top of the JSRC C30 kit to make ensure smooth and safe operation. And I've still put some money into the reserves in the terrible event of a blown engine.

If you are positive the used Sprintex you are looking at is a safe bet, than you are saving a ton (which is awesome!), but put that savings towards some "less sexy" supporting mods to keep it safe and reliable.
Thanks for the concern! This isn't my first rodeo, so to speak, haha.

I've built a 600 whp SR20 S14 in the past. K20 swapped ITR DC2 before that etc I was in the process of LS-swapping the S14, but one day I just didn't have the energy and motivation for it. So I sold it off in parts and got the GT86 instead.

I was just sick of wrenching on the car all the time. With the 86, I just wanted something fun to drive without pretty much any issue. Ironic as hell, considering how my 86 turned out...
Old 12-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #17
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You got it man! Good luck with the build! Sounds like you’ve built some pretty awesome vehicles before. How have you been enjoying the 86 so far?
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
sqd (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #18
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
You got it man! Good luck with the build! Sounds like you’ve built some pretty awesome vehicles before. How have you been enjoying the 86 so far?
I've had it since 2015, and it's been progressively built into a very drivable show car to be honest. Started with coilovers, ACE header, exhaust etc. Was on TE37SL's with 265 Pilot Sport Cup 2's. Awesome to drive really, even though after a while, I did wish it had some more power, but I didn't dislike the car in any way though.

Then I decided to go Rocket Bunny v1 fenders, but keep my TRD kit I had installed the year before. Went over to three piece SSR SP1 wheels with Toyo R888's. Then I just fell in love with modifying everything, except for the engine - with the header and E85 tune, I couldn't do much more with it being NA, but at the same time, the power was enough for me and most of all, there weren't any problems with it. Just fuel up and drive! It was still a mechanically stock car, so loved the reliabilty.

Started going to shows, winning prizes etc. Had a blast with my friends and the general vibe of shows etc. So then I went even further, with Air Lift suspension, Varis body kit, redid the interior, new wheels yet again.. Basically quite a lot of work.

But now, I feel that FI is the next step. Both because I want to experience it, and to evolve the car even further, not just with cosmetic mods.