follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Subaru BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
TheStraightPipes review the BRZ!

I enjoy these guy's reviews so it was pretty sweet to see them review the updated BRZ from their previous review.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
ScoobsMcGee (10-03-2018), Tristor (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,405 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ya gotta luv em, Timmies cup in the console, Zee versus Zed and a shout out to the Shawa my birth town. Now that’s Canadian!
For those who may not know, Oshawa Ontario is the home of General Motors Canada where they build the Camaro.
On the downside they had no hard figures just their personal impressions. Plus, they showed their biases as they bantered back and forth. Perhaps that is the charm of this video, perhaps its downfall. Also, they showed their lack of driving experience when talking about the need to spend time at a track before doing track test comparisons.
So, for lovers of the twins it’s a good review. But as the comments show there are many who do not share their (our) views of the twins.
My complaint about this and every other review I’ve read or seen is; I don’t get the constant comparison with the Miata roadster. These are two completely different vehicles with different goals. So, why does everyone want to lump them together? It’s like comparing a minivan to a pickup truck. One hauls people the other cargo. They both can do the other but not as well.
The one point they raise and I have to ask about is the torque dip. If it can be eliminated with unequal length headers and a tune why then hasn’t the factory done this?
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (10-03-2018), weederr33 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
weederr33
Airborne at your service

I have slowly come to enjoy them for their banter. Their reviews are more for the every-man. But I still like the quirkiness of their reviews. Honestly, when I was looking to buy my first FR-S a few years ago, I compared it to the Miata, S2000, and a Fiesta ST. But the FR-S won my heart.
Unfortunately, I got some flack for my comment by a troll. So yeah there are haters. But it's whatever.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
jubella2

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
If it can be eliminated with unequal length headers and a tune why then hasn’t the factory done this?
Because the factory has to care about emissions and mpg.
jubella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jubella2 For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (10-03-2018), RToyo86 (10-03-2018), Tristor (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,405 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubella2 View Post
Because the factory has to care about emissions and mpg.
So it’s your belief (and thousands of others too) that the torque dip is there on purpose to lower emissions and raise mpg’s. Hmmmm…
There are dozens of threads and pages upon pages of replies on this very topic on here and every other similar forum. However, I’ve yet to read a quote from an engineer or see a link to a proper article that validates this theory. If a torque dip is required to meet standards then why don’t all Subaru boxer engines have it? Don’t they need to meet the same standards??
I do not mean to hijack this thread and will gladly take this discussion to one of the long dead “torque dip” threads. Just point me to the one that’s most relevant and recent.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
So it’s your belief (and thousands of others too) that the torque dip is there on purpose to lower emissions and raise mpg’s. Hmmmm…
There are dozens of threads and pages upon pages of replies on this very topic on here and every other similar forum. However, I’ve yet to read a quote from an engineer or see a link to a proper article that validates this theory. If a torque dip is required to meet standards then why don’t all Subaru boxer engines have it? Don’t they need to meet the same standards??
I do not mean to hijack this thread and will gladly take this discussion to one of the long dead “torque dip” threads. Just point me to the one that’s most relevant and recent.
Hijacker!!!
Kidding aside, I believe the reason the torque dip is on the twins and not other Subaru cars is because the twins have both port and direct injection. While the WRX, for example, only has direct injection. I'm sure the turbo also masks any lag. But again, in the WRX realm, they have rev hang which is a byproduct of emissions regulation. Then again, I'm not an engineer, I'm just going off what I've read and heard.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Tristor (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Hijacker!!!
Kidding aside, I believe the reason the torque dip is on the twins and not other Subaru cars is because the twins have both port and direct injection. While the WRX, for example, only has direct injection. I'm sure the turbo also masks any lag. But again, in the WRX realm, they have rev hang which is a byproduct of emissions regulation. Then again, I'm not an engineer, I'm just going off what I've read and heard.
Several others have also pointed out that the Cayman (I think it was a Cayman) also has a similar dip, albeit less-pronounced (or perhaps less an issue due to higher power/torque), suggesting it might be an engine characteristic.

Others have mentioned/explained that the dip is what allows the FA20 to provide reasonable low-end torque (i.e. below 4k rpm) for city driving, while still managing 200hp from a 2.0L NA.

Torque dip pairs well with spinning doritos.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
RallySport (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
BRZ Guy

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I’m new to watching their YouTube vids and now hooked.
I was excited to see this review as I just bought the very exact car! Year and colour!

In the few weeks I’ve had it I’ve barely driven it but when I have the time I feel BAWSE! These cars are Saweet lol.

So far I have Wearher Tech mats and a Greddy Eveloution cat back that was worth every Canadian Nickle, as we don’t have pennies.

It looks and sounds killer with noticeable gains.
BRZ Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
Chuckls
Moutain Runner

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There aren't any noticeable gains from just a catback.
Chuckls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #10
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Ya gotta luv em, Timmies cup in the console, Zee versus Zed and a shout out to the Shawa my birth town. Now that’s Canadian!
For those who may not know, Oshawa Ontario is the home of General Motors Canada where they build the Camaro.
On the downside they had no hard figures just their personal impressions. Plus, they showed their biases as they bantered back and forth. Perhaps that is the charm of this video, perhaps its downfall. Also, they showed their lack of driving experience when talking about the need to spend time at a track before doing track test comparisons.
So, for lovers of the twins it’s a good review. But as the comments show there are many who do not share their (our) views of the twins.
My complaint about this and every other review I’ve read or seen is; I don’t get the constant comparison with the Miata roadster. These are two completely different vehicles with different goals. So, why does everyone want to lump them together? It’s like comparing a minivan to a pickup truck. One hauls people the other cargo. They both can do the other but not as well.
The one point they raise and I have to ask about is the torque dip. If it can be eliminated with unequal length headers and a tune why then hasn’t the factory done this?

Not completely different at all. Really only the new lightweight, low power, handling focused RWD vehicles you can get now. Most people in the market for an 86 cross the shop the Miata
Old 10-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
BFIFE22

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Not completely different at all. Really only the new lightweight, low power, handling focused RWD vehicles you can get now. Most people in the market for an 86 cross the shop the Miata
Exactly, those were literally the only 2 cars I was considering when shopping for mine lol
SuperTom (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
RallySport

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I like those two. They are enthusiasts to the core, but not overly jaded from having already driven every super & hyper car on the planet. This makes them much more relatable and down to earth.
RallySport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RallySport For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #13
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport View Post
I like those two. They are enthusiasts to the core, but not overly jaded from having already driven every super & hyper car on the planet. This makes them much more relatable and down to earth.
That's kinda why I enjoy their videos.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 10-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #14
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Plus the occasional crossover with Savagegeese/Dezoris...
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote