follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #43
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystewart View Post
2forme, you are returning your Airaid intake?
Yup, sent it back yesterday. I need something that runs correctly on the stock tune.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #44
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I understand, thank you
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #45
avp1

Drives: Traded BRZ for Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Placebo?

I'm willing to bet you won't be posting in my thread once I put up my own dynos.

Like I said, stay away, enjoy the 20ft-lb dip, enjoy 28mpg. I'll enjoy mine

I think tuners should work on eliminating torque hole in 3-4.5K RPM range. If someone figures out how to get I'd of it, it will be the best tuning option for that car besides forced injection. Everything else seems to be mostly placebo. Designers squeezed almost last drop of power from than engine in its factory form.
avp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #46
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystewart View Post
I understand, thank you
No worries, I'm still gonna borrow one for my dyno comparison with aFe.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #47
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by avp1 View Post
I think tuners should work on eliminating torque hole in 3-4.5K RPM range. If someone figures out how to get I'd of it, it will be the best tuning option for that car besides forced injection. Everything else seems to be mostly placebo. Designers squeezed almost last drop of power from than engine in its factory form.
I just sit back, look at this Dyno sheet and scratch my head wondering what exactly is Placebo about it?

FYI that's stock vs STG 1 pump gas vs E85 tunes.... Visconti.

Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (11-26-2012), chadstyle (04-06-2013), Visconti (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #48
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
cool I'm near Springfield lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Unfortunately I'll be at a wedding on that day, but maybe we'll meet up some time and you can check it out. I'm just outside of Boston.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #49
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
I don't have the time right now to find any threads. Here is one though:

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...as&&brandID=78

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard0625 View Post
Really i havent come across a coldair thread yet..do u know what company(s) are producing them..and i agree with you 100% thats what im waiting to do mods...all i did was order pulley and the rest im going to wait for and see if some if these prices go down
Old 09-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #50
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy83 View Post
I just sit back, look at this Dyno sheet and scratch my head wondering what exactly is Placebo about it?
Believing tuner-posted graphs is your own choice. Graph in the first post here barely shows any gains worth bothering for like $700.

If you want to run E85 in a car that already squeals like a bitch on E10 gas - it's your choice. Just be prepared to pony up cash to have HPFP installed when the TSB finally comes out and everyone else gets it for free.
The Magnuson-Moss act won't protect you from the manufacturer refusing to cover anything power-train related (including TSBs fixing OEM defects) when you mod it to non-oem spec. If you don't believe me - ask Audi owners. Audi recently starting checking for re-flashed ECUs on every visit to the dealers and if found, denying any factory-paid work to the drivetrain afterwards. Only a matter of time before more OEMs are doing it.
So in my opinion these measly gains aren't worth bothering with, given the reliability/warranty coverage/price trade-offs involved.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #51
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
Believing tuner-posted graphs is your own choice. Graph in the first post here barely shows any gains worth bothering for like $700.

If you want to run E85 in a car that already squeals like a bitch on E10 gas - it's your choice. Just be prepared to pony up cash to have HPFP installed when the TSB finally comes out and everyone else gets it for free.
The Magnuson-Moss act won't protect you from the manufacturer refusing to cover anything power-train related (including TSBs fixing OEM defects) when you mod it to non-oem spec. If you don't believe me - ask Audi owners. Audi recently starting checking for re-flashed ECUs on every visit to the dealers and if found, denying any factory-paid work to the drivetrain afterwards. Only a matter of time before more OEMs are doing it.
So in my opinion these measly gains aren't worth bothering with, given the reliability/warranty coverage/price trade-offs involved.
Let me tell you a couple of facts. ECUTek tune for E85 has already been confirmed while I WAS PRESENT ina Dyno in a different State and independently, not with Visconti.

Second of all, the results here are for an AT model (the graph I posted IS for MT cars), and Visconti himself had posted the Dyno for an AT model with similar results to the OP chart, so this is not about believeing a false claim. Educate yourself before rambling out random thoughts.

Third, I personally will not go to the dealer with a warranty claim if MY actions break the car. I am an adult and assume FULL responsibility for my actions.

Oh, and one last thing, I have dealers close by that WORK with modded cars so if a TSB comes out my car will be serviced exactly like any other

Troll on my friend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (11-26-2012), acro (11-18-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #52
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Third, I personally will not go to the dealer with a warranty claim if MY actions break the car. I am an adult and assume FULL responsibility for my actions.

Oh, and one last thing, I have dealers close by that WORK with modded cars so if a TSB comes out my car will be serviced exactly like any other
You miss the point. If Subaru/Scion were to go with Audi route, you'll have to pay for stuff that didn't go bad due to the tune. I might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure you fully expect Subaru/Scion to do your factory TSBs for free, which won't isn't happening for tuned Audis anymore. And it's not up to dealer's discretion either, here have a read (or don't, ignorance is bliss).
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #53
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
You miss the point. If Subaru/Scion were to go with Audi route, you'll have to pay for stuff that didn't go bad due to the tune. I might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure you fully expect Subaru/Scion to do your factory TSBs for free, which won't isn't happening for tuned Audis anymore. And it's not up to dealer's discretion either, here have a read (or don't, ignorance is bliss).
That's fine, thanks for the info. In the event that does happen, I again accept my responsibility in full. I know by tuning my car I risk f*ing it up and be SOL. So i'll man up and get it fixed at my cost.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #54
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Just flash it back, John provides the original with a new flash.
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tonystewart For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (11-26-2012), 2forme (09-16-2012), F3dzo (09-16-2012), Visconti (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #55
drifter

Drives: truck and old car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Couple points here; I don't think one should be called a "troll" or discouraged from posting just because they express an opposing opinion, others may feel it was an educated argument and give us something we can research on our own.

I aslo believe the "placebo effect" comment was a little premature based on 1 result. I, and, I"m sure others, would be quite interested and appreciative if you researched this a bit more and posted supporting results of this opinion, especially as most recipients of this tune have been quite pleased.

For the most part, these arguments have been kept on an adult level, lets keep it that way.
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drifter For This Useful Post:
acro (11-18-2012), gonzo (11-17-2012), Visconti (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #56
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
At least in the OP's post, and mine in the case of the AT variants, that seems to be the consensus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
I would like to see these same runs but 1 graph 3rd Visconti vs fa20 & 2nd graph 4th visconti vs fa20
Hmmm. Maybe it's an East Coast thing but a "please" might serve you well especially when it's the weekend and I'm not at the facility. Be that as it may, I had thought you might want a H2H comparison so I kept this set handy.

In 3rd gear, the Visconti tune gains about 5WHP and 6#TQ for a 1000RPM range from 4200RPM onwards, with AFRs leaner than the FA20 tune @ 12.8 and then looses about 6WHP and 5#TQ from 6700 onwards because it got richer. I suppose Visconti (or most tuners) could mimic the AFRs to get the best of both worlds with this AR Intake system, though I think any of the gains would have been negated in this case. (My apologies to AirRaid, just my opinion.)

Quote:
FYI that's stock vs STG 1 pump gas vs E85 tunes.... Visconti.
That's great but how about an apples to apples comparison with an AT setup and while we're on that, RPM instead of Speed & AFRs? That way we're all on the same page (being neutral and transparent) since showing speed does indicate slightly different AFRs and WHP readings, just ever so slightly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard0625 View Post
Avo's kit looks good when i was reading their thread but then it had me thinking, it saw the same gains that the dropinfilters had when ft86speedfactory did their dynos, +5hp/+1tq...so maybe the intake inlet did very little and it was just the filter that helped it out. I think im going to wait for a coldair.
Also a good observation, but I think you missed the part where FT86SpeedFactory posted the dyno charts in STD correction vs SAE, and that alone would yield you a few more WHP in favor of the STD numbers, especially in the warmer climates.

I would have done the same here but I didn't want to be accused of "inflating values" nor did I want to start a thread about correction factors and have everyone get confused. We should stick to the defacto standard, SAE values.

My 2 cents once again...

Last edited by Drift-Office; 09-16-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drift-Office For This Useful Post:
chadstyle (04-06-2013), DookDookDGM (09-16-2012), gonzo (11-17-2012), Hawaiian (09-16-2012), mechaghost (09-16-2012), QFry (09-17-2012)