follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
While we wait on @spitz 's review from his track day, anyone who wants to support a forum vendor and get a slick deal on these check out @eauto 's thread for them here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31049 Best prices I've seen so far.

I ordered a set already because I'm pretty confident they will suit my needs well.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
spitz

Drives: '13 SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...912#post833912

Here you go all

spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitz For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
Walldodger

Drives: Four wheels, two seats, etc
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Project Mu make pretty good pads. I used 2 sets HC+ on a little 1000kg hatchback, they worked great from cold on the street no noise what so ever after proper bedding. Once warmed up were great on the track. But Be careful on the drive home, for me anyway I think the pads would glaze up a little and the peddle would get quite long. Gave a scare the first set of lights a came to when I first used them.
I wouldn't bother refacing discs unless they where badly grooved.
Ive also used the next pad up in the range, the Club Racer. They are even better on the track. But on the road could get very noisy. I wasn't fussed with the noise but could see a lot of people being annoyed with it.
Walldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Walldodger For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walldodger View Post
Project Mu make pretty good pads. I used 2 sets HC+ on a little 1000kg hatchback, they worked great from cold on the street no noise what so ever after proper bedding. Once warmed up were great on the track. But Be careful on the drive home, for me anyway I think the pads would glaze up a little and the peddle would get quite long. Gave a scare the first set of lights a came to when I first used them.
I wouldn't bother refacing discs unless they where badly grooved.
Ive also used the next pad up in the range, the Club Racer. They are even better on the track. But on the road could get very noisy. I wasn't fussed with the noise but could see a lot of people being annoyed with it.
Properly bedded pads do not make very much noise.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (04-02-2013), ATL BRZ (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #19
Walldodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
Properly bedded pads do not make very much noise.
Oh yeah when they're up to temp they would just do there job without any noise. But at cold/street temps the Club Racer pads would squeal. HC+ I had were fine.
I honestly don't recall how well I bedded them, may not have been done properly in hindsight.
Anthonytpt (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #20
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh yeah when they're up to temp they would just do there job without any noise. But at cold/street temps the Club Racer pads would squeal. HC+ I had were fine.
I honestly don't recall how well I bedded them, may not have been done properly in hindsight.
When the transfer layer rubs off, the noise comes back. That's just the perks of having track pads, however, you can easily bed them in again after a nice spirited session. Did I also mention that track pads have amazing bite even when they aren't in their proper operating temperature range? :happy0180:
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
It sounds like you're getting pretty close, but not actually getting them hot enough to get a proper transfer layer. If the noise is going away, but eventually coming back, then you're pretty damn close. Get them hotter (sacrifice a cooldown lap; just keep speeding up and braking, even on straights) and then keep rolling while staying off the brakes until they're cool to the touch. The noise should be permanently gone.

Source: I've been daily driving on race pads for years.

Disclaimer: some pads will never go silent (older compounds, enduro compounds).
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
Walldodger

I remember they would quieten back down after some heavier driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Did I also mention that track pads have amazing bite even when they aren't in their proper operating temperature range? :happy0180:
Yeah, friction is better when cold by comparison. But from what if noticed, there is a wider gap in friction from cold to operating temp than there is with purely street/economy pads. Which might make them feel like they're not working as well when cold to some people I guess.
Anthonytpt (04-07-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #23
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Installed a full set of HC+800's this weekend. They are awesome on the street since they are quiet and bedded in easily after a few threshold stops. They bite much harder than the StopTech Street Performance pads I was previously running and they feel much more progressive in their performance when heated. The higher MOT and friction coefficient can definitely be felt with spirited street driving. Can't wait to track them at the end of the month.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
CSG David (04-08-2013)