follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
NeoMarine

Drives: Toyota Echo :(
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ Audio Overhaul - Subwoofer, Amp, Speakers, Head Unit Replacements

[Update]
I found the this very helpful thread... gonna do more research. If you can help, still let me know

Hi guys,

I've been doing some research and I am completely new to modding cars so I actually need a bit of help here, if you guys don't mind...

I have ordered my BRZ a few days ago (was told I'd be getting the 2014 spec but its still the 2013 model) which should get to me in 4 months, which is the general waiting period in Australia at the moment. By then I want to have a pretty good idea what I'll be changing as far as audio goes.

So far my understanding is that to get some sick sound quality I'd need to replace the stock speakers, add an amplifier (under the seat), replace the stock head unit and add a 10" subwoofer in the trunk.

So yeah, could anyone recommend me a hectic setup? I figure a budget of $2000-$3000 should get the job done?

My thoughts so far (I have to do more research... but please help? )

- For the subwoofer I'm guessing that the JL Stealthbox would be more than decent choice.
- Speakers - I have no clue... I am probably going to have to find a shop that will install these for me too, because I got no clue lol
- Amplifier - the JL website have some HD choices although I wouldn't know which one to use for the speakers I would choose and the JL Stealthbox subwoofer
- Any head unit recommendations? I've been looking into some pioneer ones but I am thinking if I don't pick a decent one it would ruin the overall sound quality?
- Anything else I'm missing as far as an audio overhaul goes?

Last edited by NeoMarine; 10-13-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: found some info
NeoMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Zippy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Research is what took the longest for me to complete. Several months before I decided on what to go with. Being in Australia, you might actually get a Pioneer head unit instead of the POS Fujiten that we get in the states with the BRZ. If you do replace the factory head unit, look for ones with Time Alignment and Parametric EQ. Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwood make some solid units. These can be tuned to give the best sound based upon your budget.

I strongly recommend adding sound deadening the doors. There are a lot of rattles with the factory speakers. Adding after market speakers makes it worse. Also, do this yourself. It's crazy hours of labor to have it done for you and really easy to do.

I choose class D amps for my BRZ for a couple of reasons. They use current based upon volume for the most part(better fuel economy) and they are crazy small.

For component speakers and sub, listen to what the local shops have and buy based upon what sounds good to you.
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
NeoMarine

Drives: Toyota Echo :(
Great thanks Zippy... yeah I got a lot of research to do
NeoMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
osiris999

Drives: brz
i will be putting in http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9607-mlk...nt-system.aspx for the speakers. i got them for 300$ on a car audio forum. powered by this http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8622-gt-...amplifier.aspx. as far as sub woofer i haven't decided the one i had in my last car is amazing but the box and sub weigh around 150 pounds so im gonna go with something lighter and not near as loud.
osiris999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
osiris999

Drives: brz
head unit im looking at is the pioneer AVH-P8400BH. definitely sound deaden the car. helps a ton with rattle and road noise.
osiris999 is offline   Reply With Quote