follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
Welcome. Once we get ours, we can take a cruise around the cities
Excellent idea. It will be interesting to see how common place these cars become in the Twin Cities. I'm guessing it will be at least a year before you start to see a lot of them.

I think I've decided. I'm going with the BRZ, it just seems a little more grown up to me even though there is hardly any difference between the two. Plus I think with Scion's stratagy of rolling out new models to the coasts first and then working inward it will be a while before you can get an FRS here.

I'm going to the Subaru dealership to put a down a deposit and get my name on the list today.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
neutron256

Well I did it. I went to Bloomington Subaru and put a deposit down. I'm 7th on the list there.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
Well I did it. I went to Bloomington Subaru and put a deposit down. I'm 7th on the list there.
Huge congrats neutron! I sadly agree that Scion will stiff the Upper Midwest with the FR-S until later. Tis the disadvantage of this area vs Cali or Texas or Florida.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
neutron256

Quote:
Huge congrats neutron! I sadly agree that Scion will stiff the Upper Midwest with the FR-S until later. Tis the disadvantage of this area vs Cali or Texas or Florida.
Yeah I was all but set on the Subaru, and when the dealer said they were taking deposits it made up my mind for me. It will be interesting to se what color/trim I get.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #19
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Quote:
Yeah I was all but set on the Subaru, and when the dealer said they were taking deposits it made up my mind for me. It will be interesting to se what color/trim I get.
I'm pretty fortunate; #2 at Burnsville Scion. I just told them I'd prefer any color other than hot lava, but it must be manual.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
neutron256

Quote:
I'm pretty fortunate; #2 at Burnsville Scion. I just told them I'd prefer any color other than hot lava, but it must be manual.
To funny. I did the same thing, I said any color other then white. I'm still up in the air about transmission but I think on that I'm going to hold out for an AT. That my be to my advantage, it sounds like most of the people on the list are planing on using theirs for autocross and I can't see them getting an automatic.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
What's the policy on the refund? Did they mention when to expect the cars to come in?

I haven't really decided which Subaru dealer to go to yet, but I've pretty much made up my mind and I'm going to get a BRZ Limited in Rally Blue. I'm surprised there are already 7 people on that list though considering this is MN.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #22
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Quote:
To funny. I did the same thing, I said any color other then white. I'm still up in the air about transmission but I think on that I'm going to hold out for an AT. That my be to my advantage, it sounds like most of the people on the list are planing on using theirs for autocross and I can't see them getting an automatic.
I will be autocrossing my FR-S and I know that I'll see a ton of BRZ's out there.

I've seen a Saturn Redline Sky destroy its class though because of an automatic (flappy paddles too) but because the manual transmission on the AS1 has been getting such positive publicity, I would imagine the autoxr's ahead of you will opt away from the auto. You might get your BRZ very very early.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
What's the policy on the refund? Did they mention when to expect the cars to come in?

I haven't really decided which Subaru dealer to go to yet, but I've pretty much made up my mind and I'm going to get a BRZ Limited in Rally Blue. I'm surprised there are already 7 people on that list though considering this is MN.
Just call around to see what the dealership's policy is and how far down on the list you are.

As of now, the dealers don't have an idea for how many, what type, and options they will be able to provide. Subaru dealers are already in high demand for the Impreza, WRX and Foresters so they will most likely treat the BRZ the same way (ie, any configuration that shows up will sell) unless you've placed a deposit.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #24
neutron256

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post

Basically the deposit is refundable until you sign and take delivery. You should check with your dealer for specific details.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #25
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I went to Burnsville Toyota for mine, it's where I bought my tC from and I have always had great service there. I thought about the BRZ but like the idea of being just a smidge closer to the Toyota side of things.

Also, I don't think MN will be fair to either car long term; but it will probably be less kind to a non-AWD Subaru that commands a premium. The loyalists who normally buy Subaru will probably not understand why you bought an amazing car, whereas the Scion they won't even bother trying to discuss it.

For Subaru dealers, it's a toss-up to whomever is closest. For me, Walser Subaru in Burnsville has told me they are holding deposits for the BRZ.
I had a feeling there'd be more Minnesota peeps on this board besides Chupacabra and I. Anyways, funny you mentioned Walser Subaru. My wife and I just leased a 2012 Impreza and I asked the sales guy if they were accepting deposits on the car yet. Dude acted like he didn't even know anything about the vehicle AND told me they weren't taking deposits since they aren't able to make orders on the vehicle. I don't think he understood that I was asking to see if they had a wait list. I gave up asking since I felt the conversation was getting nowhere. For me, I'm leaning FR-S.
xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #26
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Basically the deposit is refundable until you sign and take delivery. You should check with your dealer for specific details.
Back when I was selling cars, our sales managers would often say to a customer on an incoming car that if they want a vehicle, they would have to place a $500 non-refundable deposit down on the vehicle to better gauge the customer's commitment to the deal. That $500 deposit was always fully refundable of course and I was told we aren't allowed to keep it anyways. I love it when I go buy cars and sales managers try that to me. If I want the car, which I usually do the time I walk on the show floor, I'm gonna put that deposit down.
xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs View Post
I had a feeling there'd be more Minnesota peeps on this board besides Chupacabra and I. Anyways, funny you mentioned Walser Subaru. My wife and I just leased a 2012 Impreza and I asked the sales guy if they were accepting deposits on the car yet. Dude acted like he didn't even know anything about the vehicle AND told me they weren't taking deposits since they aren't able to make orders on the vehicle. I don't think he understood that I was asking to see if they had a wait list. I gave up asking since I felt the conversation was getting nowhere. For me, I'm leaning FR-S.
That would be so frustrating, especially since you've got vehicle sales experience.

If a customer came into my store and wanted to put a deposit down on a 2012 GSX-R 1000 in a certain color, I surely wouldn't act like there isn't a model coming out. I might be reluctant to take his/her money if the machine wasn't able to be ordered but I would at least explain that to the customer.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #28
neutron256

Quote:
That would be so frustrating, especially since you've got vehicle sales experience.

If a customer came into my store and wanted to put a deposit down on a 2012 GSX-R 1000 in a certain color, I surely wouldn't act like there isn't a model coming out. I might be reluctant to take his/her money if the machine wasn't able to be ordered but I would at least explain that to the customer.
Bloomington Subaru seemed not only to be ontop of this but excited about it. The sales person they set me up with does autocross, and for an extra suckup the manager came out to say hi. Unnesscary since I'm already sold on the car, but a nice touch. If people were asking me to buy a car I knew nothing about I wouldn't be turning them away, I'd be doing my research.