follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #113
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
neat car. I like the fender garnishes
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
Elliotw (06-18-2019), nikitopo (06-05-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #114
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Well blew my clutch at Pacific raceways last week. NEW CLUTCH TIME! haha Note car has 10,000 miles. MAYBE the supercharging, drifting, tracking played a small role in accelerating that clutch ware.

Had to happen on the first session of the day. Sucks cause I was so excited to get a feel for the new pavement.

photos:

Should have the car back in a few days. Got to schedule a make up track day ASAP. Also next week I'm heading down to PIR for some laps with hooked on driving.
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #115
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliotw View Post
Well blew my clutch at Pacific raceways last week. NEW CLUTCH TIME! haha Note car has 10,000 miles. MAYBE the supercharging, drifting, tracking played a small role in accelerating that clutch ware.

Had to happen on the first session of the day. Sucks cause I was so excited to get a feel for the new pavement.

photos:

Should have the car back in a few days. Got to schedule a make up track day ASAP. Also next week I'm heading down to PIR for some laps with hooked on driving.
Highly recommend South Bend. My TOB eat itself finally after a track day with the supercharger. Went with their Stage 2 daily and feels exactly OEM just a bit stiffer and can handle the TQ my setup is putting out.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Elliotw (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #116
TiminAZ

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Elliotw;3228668]Well blew my clutch at Pacific raceways last week. NEW CLUTCH TIME! haha Note car has 10,000 miles. MAYBE the supercharging, drifting, tracking played a small role in accelerating that clutch ware.

Well my friend, be careful when selecting a clutch and make sure you DONT change the flywheel. I am in the midst of that battle now. I was changing mine preemptively and its been a costly nightmare. I went with an ACT street clutch with lightweight flywheel and immediately the idle went to shit with the tune that was in it. Evidently, the fw weighs half what the OEM one did and the ECU could not regulate idle properly because the rotational mass had changed so dramatically. The tuner said they can make it better but idle will still be wonky and they recommend putting the OEM fw back in. I started researching and the factory fw is a dual mass which really, REALLY, helps even out the idle RPMs on these motors. the chatter was also extremely loud which I learned is just a characteristic of lw flywheels. IMO, greatly outweighing the benefits of the lightweight wheel.

Adding insult to injury, the shop that I used didn't listen to my repeated instruction to ONLY change the flywheel back. Instead, they reinstalled EVERYTHING back to OEM. $1200 in labor down the drain and I'm right back where I started.

Better luck to you!
2018 BRZ tS #282 of 500 DELICIOUS TUNING Edelbrock FI, E-85 Flexfuel, DeatschWerks pump and injectors, SpeedFactory ceramic UEL, Invidia R400 cat-back, ACT HD street clutch and flywheel, TEIN Flex Z coilovers, Stance wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport 4
TiminAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #117
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Too bad. What clutch did you install?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:31 PM   #118
Elliotw

[quote=TiminAZ;3228690]
Quote:

Well my friend, be careful when selecting a clutch and make sure you DONT change the flywheel. I am in the midst of that battle now. I was changing mine preemptively and its been a costly nightmare. I went with an ACT street clutch with lightweight flywheel and immediately the idle went to shit with the tune that was in it. Evidently, the fw weighs half what the OEM one did and the ECU could not regulate idle properly because the rotational mass had changed so dramatically. The tuner said they can make it better but idle will still be wonky and they recommend putting the OEM fw back in. I started researching and the factory fw is a dual mass which really, REALLY, helps even out the idle RPMs on these motors. the chatter was also extremely loud which I learned is just a characteristic of lw flywheels. IMO, greatly outweighing the benefits of the lightweight wheel.

Adding insult to injury, the shop that I used didn't listen to my repeated instruction to ONLY change the flywheel back. Instead, they reinstalled EVERYTHING back to OEM. $1200 in labor down the drain and I'm right back where I started.

Better luck to you!
Thanks for the advice Tim. I wasn't planning on changing the flywheel but now I'll stay away! People been recommending that south bend stg2 clutch. There is a lot of good reviews about it across the forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elliotw For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #119
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,306 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Watch out for rocks on the back section of PR now.

Enjoy the boosted HP at PIR I strongly dislike that track due to the influence of the straights.
NoHaveMSG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #120
Elliotw

For my friends bday we did a track day in Portland. It was his first track day ever. We both had a blast and I hadn't been to PIR for 10 years. Fun quick track. We got a full gambit of weather conditions. Dry sessions, Damp sessions, soaking wet session. Which is great for a first event to feel how a car changes as the conditions too.My friend has a beautiful E90 ZCP M3 in blue. Love his car a ton. best do everything car. That V8 toooo

Photos:

My friend half way through the day all smiles. Success!

New track photo. Making my way across.

Car needed a good detail after all its track duties. Thank you Mr Detail!

Bought some new mods. Which I haven't bought any mods in a while. I picked up the beatrush alum under panel which has vents.(more heat management) Also got a red tow hook. Towing my car at Pacific raceways was a pain since I have no tow hook. I went with the raceseng tow hook black and red. Should look good with the tS styling.
Clutch Dog (07-04-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 01:13 AM   #121
Elliotw

I should have bought this awhile ago. Raceseng BRZ tow hook in red.

Clutch Dog (07-10-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #122
Elliotw

Always looking for items to help with heat management. Recently got the beatrush BRZ underpanel. Got lots of vents so hopefully help get hot air out of the engine bay. I've confirmed it fits face-lifted brz(2017+). Here is a photos of the install and some side by sides.

Side by side beatrush on the left:

Zoom in right:

Zoom in left:

Installed front:

Installed back:

Air intakes on both sides:

Logo:

My thoughts post install:
Love the venting and dual air intake on front. Lets hope it keep heat down. Directions are only in Japanese but it isn't too hard to follow. English would be nice. They provide two panel pieces that you screw together. To screw them together you had the clips nuts to one panel which allows you to screw into. I easily bent one of the clip nuts during install which sucks. Had to bent it back.
pic of clip which is clipped onto the panel and now can accept screw:

Because of the two piece design taking off the under panel is more work then before.
My initial rating is 7.5/10
weederr33 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #123
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Always looking for items to help with heat management. Recently got the beatrush BRZ underpanel. Got lots of vents so hopefully help get hot air out of the engine bay. I've confirmed it fits face-lifted brz(2017+). Here is a photos of the install and some side by sides.

Side by side beatrush on the left:

Zoom in right:

Zoom in left:

Installed front:

Installed back:

Air intakes on both sides:

Logo:

My thoughts post install:
Love the venting and dual air intake on front. Lets hope it keep heat down. Directions are only in Japanese but it isn't too hard to follow. English would be nice. They provide two panel pieces that you screw together. To screw them together you had the clips nuts to one panel which allows you to screw into. I easily bent one of the clip nuts during install which sucks. Had to bent it back.
pic of clip which is clipped onto the panel and now can accept screw:

Because of the two piece design taking off the under panel is more work then before.
My initial rating is 7.5/10
I have this installed as well! I cannot say whether it helps as I never did a base reading with the O.E under panel. But it's a nice peace of mind.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Elliotw (07-14-2019), jflogerzi (07-20-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #124
Elliotw

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I have this installed as well! I cannot say whether it helps as I never did a base reading with the O.E under panel. But it's a nice peace of mind.
Ya I really wish it was just a one piece design. But beside that I hope it helps with cooling. I think for aftermarket headers without the heat shield it should help.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #125
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ya I really wish it was just a one piece design. But beside that I hope it helps with cooling. I think for aftermarket headers without the heat shield it should help.
I'm not sure about the engine block, but my headers cool off significantly quicker than the rest of the stuff in the engine bay.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Elliotw (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #126
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I love it as well. but its so expensive for a piece of aluimin..
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote