follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #225
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Rate of failure? Do you have any threads you can link?

I haven't read of any failure of parts that actually fit. I haven't read of any wastegate, turbo, BOV, intercooler piping, manifold or downpipe failure.

I've heard more stories of AVO exhaust leaks due to warped flanges than anything.

I have heard of fitment issues/quality issues, shipping delays and missing/incomplete parts resulting in multiple runs to the hardware store.
I chose my words poorly I suppose. Other than @nelsmar and his tune there has been no clear "failure" (although delivery of the @Frs300 car is a failure).

For a kit being branded as a complete kit, any poorly welded pipe, misfitting header @SmsAlSuwaidi, missing parts, bad wields @woode and extremely long wait times all qualify as a rate of failure. You should have a list of everything necessary for your kit and be able to QC that and send it off properly.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #226
Hawaiian
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusb3 View Post
All I said is I will be nice and show ppl how it feels to be in a boosted frs because it is fun and exciting... It works looks good and is a blast to have so ya it's all good I understand what you are saying but that's the past. Let's just move on and add more boost !
I'm honestly very happy for you, and I wish everyones story was the same. I hope bringing all the issues to the forefront will allow it to be that way in the future. I don't want to destroy Toni, but I would like him to get his act together. I think he can bring something to the community, but shortchanging people across multiple platforms isn't cutting it.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #227
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
FA20Club Up Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
I chose my words poorly I suppose. Other than @nelsmar and his tune there has been no clear "failure" (although delivery of the @Frs300 car is a failure).

For a kit being branded as a complete kit, any poorly welded pipe, misfitting header @SmsAlSuwaidi, missing parts, bad wields @woode and extremely long wait times all qualify as a rate of failure. You should have a list of everything necessary for your kit and be able to QC that and send it off properly.

So there wasn't actually a failure with the system. The tune wasn't a part but rather a service that was paid for and done incorrectly and was clearly an issue.

When I think of "rate of failure", I'm thinking of something that was fully installed and at one point was working then failed due to a lack of quality. I wouldn't qualify what you listed as a rate of failure. I believe @woode would've experienced this had he installed that downpipe in it's initial form and it cracked at the weld later. At the very least it's still a lack of oversight.

Those fall into the category of what you listed as misaligned expectations in regards to lead time, initial quality control in regards to fitment, initial quality control in regards to missing miscellaneous parts which are required to complete the install and led to trips to the parts store. I totally agree with you there.

I intentionally left @Frs300 out of the discussion as he has requested to be left out of these discussions until he receives his car back and I respect Brandon's wishes.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
Hawaiian (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #228
Hawaiian
That guy

Quote:
So there wasn't actually a failure with the system. The tune wasn't a part but rather a service that was paid for and done incorrectly and was clearly an issue.

When I think of "rate of failure", I'm thinking of something that was fully installed and at one point was working then failed due to a lack of quality. I wouldn't qualify what you listed as a rate of failure. I believe @woode would've experienced this had he installed that downpipe in it's initial form and it cracked at the weld later. At the very least it's still a lack of oversight.

Those fall into the category of what you listed as misaligned expectations in regards to lead time, initial quality control in regards to fitment, initial quality control in regards to missing miscellaneous parts which are required to complete the install and led to trips to the parts store. I totally agree with you there.

I intentionally left @Frs300 out of the discussion as he has requested to be left out of these discussions until he receives his car back and I respect Brandon's wishes.
Correct, I see you work in some form of production. To date there have been no known issues of actual failure when the kit is up and running. Once properly installed and tuned everything to this point has been fine (sans Brandon). Although, if Woodes kit went to someone less observant there would have clearly been a failure there. Who's to say that isn't the case with some other kits floating around with less educated members.

I really do hope Toni can clean up his QC and streamline his distribution because it's leaving a large number of "brothers and sisters" in the lurch, and it's no way to do business.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
ecko04 (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 AM   #229
ecko04
Seems Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
Correct, I see you work in some form of production. To date there have been no known issues of actual failure once the kit is up and running. Once properly installed and tuned everything to this point has been fine (sans Brandon). Although, if Woodes kit went to someone less observant there would have clearly been a failure there. Who's to say that isn't the case with some other kits floating around with less educated members.

I really do hope Toni can clean up his QC and streamline his distribution because it's leaving a large number of "brothers and sisters" in the lurch, and it's no way to do business.

Totally agree with you.
Hawaiian (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #230
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Don't forget the poorly placed MAF location that has made the kit a nightmare to tune, which I have seen a few tuners post about.

I think its being moved to a different location, but i'm not sure when or if new orders are being shipped out without this change.

Honestly after waiting for a few parts for a couple of weeks (injectors, gauge & y adapter), I can't imagine paying that much money and having to sit and wait for a full turbo kit. Funny thing is, out of the 3, I have only used one of them. lol
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (02-07-2014), woode (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #231
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
He should actually have his car back..........

Next Friday

He was on the phone with Toni yesterday when I hit him up.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #232
ecko04
Seems Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
He should actually have his car back..........

Next Friday

He was on the phone with Toni yesterday when I hit him up.

That's great but until he mentions his car, himself, and does the review I'm leaving him out of any discussion I have. He requested that forum members do that and I respect his decision.
Ryan P (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #233
lexusb3
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's great but until he mentions his car, himself, and does the review I'm leaving him out of any discussion I have. He requested that forum members do that and I respect his decision.
I talk to him a lot pretty much every day he chillin laying low
lexusb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lexusb3 For This Useful Post:
Frs300 (02-07-2014)

Tags
c'mon man, doyen brown aka toni, epic thread tag, fa20isthenewikea, fab-worx/rda limited, fixitagaintoni, i like to weld things, i like turtles, some assembly required, spattered sparrow shit, time for a new company, toni ten times, tunerfail, welded the jail bars, welding 101, welding with toni, weldingfordummies