follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mush View Post
old people cant have fun?

ANY used sporty car has been beat IMO i dont care if the previous owner was 80 he most likely floored it a few times to feel young again haha
Well, this 78 year old man has fun but he treats his car like a fine timepiece.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
Wasabi
おい、だいじょうぶ?

Drives: BRZ Limited 6 Speed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
if you do buy it... make sure you get the warranty!! just saying, you never know!
Wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
rhoyle

Drives: BRZ SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
Yea that too. Can be as much as 2-3% which is pretty huge and would offset the cost of a new car in most cases.
I'm paying 1.49 on my BRZ, which I bought used. Used vs new car rates are pretty similar right now if you have good credit. And if you don't have good credit, fix it before you buy a car!
rhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Drives: Whiteout FRS. Just Gorgeous!
Garage
While I understand why you would want to steer clear of a car that was beaten on and not taken care of along the way, it drives me crazy to see people not lookinig at the other side of this scenario.

I would by a car that was raced, tracked, drifted or autocrossed by someone that actually knows how to and does take care of their cars over buying a car utilized in the same scenarios with just daily driven quite hard added in. If the car is taken care of chances are it will be in better shape than a car that was flat footed and clutch dropped from 5000 rpm at every stoplight and sign it ever came to rest at.

Do your home work, but don't let the fact that a car was driven hard completely push you away from a car you really want.
Jedi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #19
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi1 View Post
While I understand why you would want to steer clear of a car that was beaten on and not taken care of along the way, it drives me crazy to see people not lookinig at the other side of this scenario.

I would by a car that was raced, tracked, drifted or autocrossed by someone that actually knows how to and does take care of their cars over buying a car utilized in the same scenarios with just daily driven quite hard added in. If the car is taken care of chances are it will be in better shape than a car that was flat footed and clutch dropped from 5000 rpm at every stoplight and sign it ever came to rest at.

Do your home work, but don't let the fact that a car was driven hard completely push you away from a car you really want.
How would you be able to tell that the car raced, tracked, drifted and autocrossed hadn't also been flat footed and had the clutch dropped from 5000 rpm's?
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Garage
I don't think you are really understanding what I am saying here. I have been racing since I was four years old. In that time I've seen people beat the crap out of a car and let it sit until the next time it was going to be raced and then wonder why all sorts of things break on said car.

I have also been involved with several cars and teams that race and then nut and bolt the entire car after every time it sees a track. These cars are taken care of because people that want to win know you can't run at the front if the car is going to break down on you every other time it sees a race track. It is not hard to see if a car has been taken care of or not. Do your home work and you can get a great car even if it lived its life one lap at a time.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
Panda Grahams

Drives: '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks, guys, this is making this all come a lot easier. I have found 3 BRZ limiteds with less than 2k miles and a price around 26.5k. Will the 2013 prices go down once the 2014s are rolling off the line?
Panda Grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #22
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Garage
The 2013's might drop a bit when the 14's hit the lots, but I don't see prices falling on the twins drastically any time soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi1 For This Useful Post:
Panda Grahams (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 AM   #23
Bg8780

Drives: '13 Black Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't think you are really understanding what I am saying here. I have been racing since I was four years old. In that time I've seen people beat the crap out of a car and let it sit until the next time it was going to be raced and then wonder why all sorts of things break on said car.

I have also been involved with several cars and teams that race and then nut and bolt the entire car after every time it sees a track. These cars are taken care of because people that want to win know you can't run at the front if the car is going to break down on you every other time it sees a race track. It is not hard to see if a car has been taken care of or not. Do your home work and you can get a great car even if it lived its life one lap at a time.
I agree Jedi, I do the same when I buy used computer enthusiats parts like processors. I like to buy a chip that was overclocked by someone who knows what they are doing. That way I know exactly how it was treated and what kind of voltage was run through it and what it is capable of. Not sure if everyone on here can follow what I'm talking about but maybe it helps.

I'm a tech geek and car geek. I have too many hobbies....
Bg8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 AM   #24
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Garage
Too many hobbies? Explain.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #25
Bg8780

Drives: '13 Black Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Too many hobbies? Explain.
Well, too many relatively expensive hobbies for my amount of income.

Cars, technology (computers, phones, other devices), recently got out of competitve paintball. I plan on buying a few guns pretty soon though.

Keeps my mind busy though, so that's always good I suppose.
Bg8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bg8780 For This Useful Post:
Jedi1 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyle View Post
I'm paying 1.49 on my BRZ, which I bought used. Used vs new car rates are pretty similar right now if you have good credit. And if you don't have good credit, fix it before you buy a car!
That's quite rare. All banks typically have a 1% higher rate for used cars. Not sure why since they are normally cheaper.

Personally, I just can't justify buying used when I can get a new one for the same price unless you can't find a new one where you live.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #27
rhoyle

Drives: BRZ SWP 6MT
That's why I use a Credit Union and not a bank. But Bank of America is offering 1.79 on used cars currently. The rates on all secured loans are rock bottom these days and will remain there for some time if the Fed acts as expected.

I wouldn't buy used vs new either unless there was a financial benefit for doing so. In my case I saved a substantial amount of money by picking up a car with 900 miles on it. If I could have gotten a new car for the same amount I would have bought a new car instead.
rhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #28
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
IMO, if you are getting 26k cash, I would just use half of that down on the car and use the rest of it elsewhere

why throw all of your current cash into a depreciating asset like a car NOW, when you could potentially grow some of it, especially with the low rates some banks are throwing around
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote