follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2017, 02:52 AM   #1
mybrzisslow

Drives: 2016 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need advice grounding DDX916ws HU

Simply put, I have a DDX916WS head unit along with a 28pin harness that I purchased from Auto Harness House. This is all going into a 2016 BRZ.

The 28pin harness allows me to retain all OEM functionality of the reverse camera, Aux, etc.

Now I know what few wires I need connect and splice together, except I am unsure about the two ground wires that belong to the 28pin harness; I have dark green wire that is for grounding the reverse camera, and a thicker black grounding wire.

My questions are; Is it necessary to ground these wires? If so, which of the two should I splice into the head unit's grounding wire?

Also here is a photo of the 28 pin harness I am using;

Last edited by mybrzisslow; 05-11-2017 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Adding photo of harness
mybrzisslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
you can ground both to the OEM ground. Ground is ground is ground, except it isn't exactly with inductive loads, but that shouldn't be the case here.

there's a concept of poor or bad ground, where the ground could get busy or backed up. lookup ground loops, or inductive load dump if you want to know more, but its safe to ground both to the same spot. technically the whole car shares the frame as its common ground.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
mybrzisslow

So technically, I can connect the green "video ground" cable to the black ground cable, and then proceed to connect that black ground cable, to the chassis ground cable of the head unit's harness?

I also believe I need to connect the ebrake wire to the chassis ground cable as well in order to play video while driving.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
mybrzisslow

sorry for the noob questions. I have looked at a plethora of HU install vids, and DIY wiring topics here on the forum, but I wanted to make sure I do this right and not screw anything up.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybrzisslow View Post
sorry for the noob questions. I have looked at a plethora of HU install vids, and DIY wiring topics here on the forum, but I wanted to make sure I do this right and not screw anything up.
Its fine, yes you should be able to ground them all together. the parking brake may need to be flashed, I know on pioneer units they need to see and on off cycle on ground, there are people on amazon that sell bypass relays. on kenwood I haven't personally encountered that before.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
Byza

Drives: 2017 86 GTS
Have you seen this video? It's specifically for the DDX916WS. If you are still unsure maybe flick carbon car sounds an email, they seem pretty helpful.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pl4z677Xq0"]DIY: How To Install A Stereo In Your Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ - YouTube[/ame]
Byza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
mybrzisslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byza View Post
Have you seen this video? It's specifically for the DDX916WS. If you are still unsure maybe flick carbon car sounds an email, they seem pretty helpful.

Yeah I've already seen that video. The problem is that they do not install the 28 pin harness adapter to retain the AUX and reverse camera. I needed to know how and where to ground the two grounding wires of this harness adapter.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
Chimera

Quote:
Yeah I've already seen that video. The problem is that they do not install the 28 pin harness adapter to retain the AUX and reverse camera. I needed to know how and where to ground the two grounding wires of this harness adapter.
How is the camera getting powered?
IF it is switched power from reverse lights or so, then ground it to the OEM ground. if its not switched power then the ground needs to be switched so the camera is not always on even when the car is off.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Here is your answer, go to one of these....

https://www.google.com/search?q=virg...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 07-08-2017, 12:12 AM   #10
psionix

Drives: 2017 WRBP BRZ MT
Quote:
Hi, I am in the same situation as you. Thinking of installing a ddx917ws to my 2017 BRZ.
I probably will be flying in the harness from CarbonCarSystems but I wish to retain the factory AUX as well.
Could you kindly guide me on how you did it?

psionix is offline   Reply With Quote