follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes.

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #29
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 3,940 Times in 1,696 Posts
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
That sounds like it could be an extremely overdamped situation, as in the damper not really moving much at all or packed down. OEM bushings with coilovers doesn't really get you those effects but I do see where you're going with that line of thought.

ASTs can be quite good...we've noticed they are often valved very aggressively though. Some of the custom valved sets we've tested were fantastic but straight from AST they can be very stiff.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (02-16-2017), Pat (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #30
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,939 Posts
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah, I did not get the "double digressive piston" option, so maybe this is just how the standard setup behaves on rough streets. At higher speeds on a smooth track I'm sure it would be a non-issue. Not a lot of competitive racing is done in the 25-35mph range really.

I'm not sure if these are off the shelf valving or not. They have Mann Engineering stickers/adjustment knobs on them which seems to mean the were originally intended to be these: https://www.mann-engineering.com/ind...t86-25585.html

But, I was assured that they are standard 5100s by my installer. Kindof confusing as to what they really are.

Not sure if this is related AT ALL, but I have the Raceseng top hats but with the non-Raceseng spring perch which is probably reducing my front shock travel somewhat. Here are some pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
That sounds like it could be an extremely overdamped situation, as in the damper not really moving much at all or packed down. OEM bushings with coilovers doesn't really get you those effects but I do see where you're going with that line of thought.

ASTs can be quite good...we've noticed they are often valved very aggressively though. Some of the custom valved sets we've tested were fantastic but straight from AST they can be very stiff.

- Andrew
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy

Last edited by Clipdat; 02-17-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #31
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Yeah, I did not get the "double digressive piston" option, so maybe this is just how the standard setup behaves on rough streets. At higher speeds on a smooth track I'm sure it would be a non-issue. Not a lot of competitive racing is done in the 25-35mph range really.

I'm not sure if these are off the shelf valving or not. They have Mann Engineering stickers/adjustment knobs on them which seems to mean the were originally intended to by these: https://www.mann-engineering.com/ind...t86-25585.html

But, I was assured that they are standard 5100s by my installer. Kindof confusing as to what they really are.

Not sure if this is related AT ALL, but I have the Raceseng top hats but with the non-Raceseng spring perch which is probably reducing my front shock travel somewhat. Here are some pics:
What's your ride height like?

- Andrew
Old 02-17-2017, 12:36 AM   #32
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,939 Posts
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I asked to be kept at/around -20mm since I liked that level of drop with my yellows that were being removed.

So I'd say roughly 20mm or 3/4" drop all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
What's your ride height like?

- Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #33
Racecomp Engineering

It's hard to tell exactly how much travel they have when they're inverted, but the grease there gives a little bit of a clue. To me it sounds very overdamped. The double digressive piston may not make things better depending on how it's valved. It really shouldn't be that stiff (even on the track, what you're describing is not ideal). ASTs are IMO a good shock, these just sounds a little funky.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (02-17-2017)