follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #29
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
That sounds like it could be an extremely overdamped situation, as in the damper not really moving much at all or packed down. OEM bushings with coilovers doesn't really get you those effects but I do see where you're going with that line of thought.

ASTs can be quite good...we've noticed they are often valved very aggressively though. Some of the custom valved sets we've tested were fantastic but straight from AST they can be very stiff.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (02-16-2017), Pat (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #30
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah, I did not get the "double digressive piston" option, so maybe this is just how the standard setup behaves on rough streets. At higher speeds on a smooth track I'm sure it would be a non-issue. Not a lot of competitive racing is done in the 25-35mph range really.

I'm not sure if these are off the shelf valving or not. They have Mann Engineering stickers/adjustment knobs on them which seems to mean the were originally intended to be these: https://www.mann-engineering.com/ind...t86-25585.html

But, I was assured that they are standard 5100s by my installer. Kindof confusing as to what they really are.

Not sure if this is related AT ALL, but I have the Raceseng top hats but with the non-Raceseng spring perch which is probably reducing my front shock travel somewhat. Here are some pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
That sounds like it could be an extremely overdamped situation, as in the damper not really moving much at all or packed down. OEM bushings with coilovers doesn't really get you those effects but I do see where you're going with that line of thought.

ASTs can be quite good...we've noticed they are often valved very aggressively though. Some of the custom valved sets we've tested were fantastic but straight from AST they can be very stiff.

- Andrew
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy

Last edited by Clipdat; 02-16-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:56 PM   #31
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Yeah, I did not get the "double digressive piston" option, so maybe this is just how the standard setup behaves on rough streets. At higher speeds on a smooth track I'm sure it would be a non-issue. Not a lot of competitive racing is done in the 25-35mph range really.

I'm not sure if these are off the shelf valving or not. They have Mann Engineering stickers/adjustment knobs on them which seems to mean the were originally intended to by these: https://www.mann-engineering.com/ind...t86-25585.html

But, I was assured that they are standard 5100s by my installer. Kindof confusing as to what they really are.

Not sure if this is related AT ALL, but I have the Raceseng top hats but with the non-Raceseng spring perch which is probably reducing my front shock travel somewhat. Here are some pics:
What's your ride height like?

- Andrew
Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 PM   #32
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

I asked to be kept at/around -20mm since I liked that level of drop with my yellows that were being removed.

So I'd say roughly 20mm or 3/4" drop all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
What's your ride height like?

- Andrew

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 02-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #33
Racecomp Engineering

It's hard to tell exactly how much travel they have when they're inverted, but the grease there gives a little bit of a clue. To me it sounds very overdamped. The double digressive piston may not make things better depending on how it's valved. It really shouldn't be that stiff (even on the track, what you're describing is not ideal). ASTs are IMO a good shock, these just sounds a little funky.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (02-17-2017)
Old 03-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #34
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm not sure if these are off the shelf valving or not. They have Mann Engineering stickers/adjustment knobs on them which seems to mean the were originally intended to be these: https://www.mann-engineering.com/ind...t86-25585.html

Hi Clipdat,

I am about to pull the trigger on the AST 5100 coilovers, few questions for you:
1) How many mileage do you have on the coilovers? Any maintenance issue?
2) Do you think you need to rebuild it anytime soon?
3) If you had another chance, would you purchase this again?
4) Any update on street driving and track experience?
5) Did you install any end links and sway bars?

Thanks!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to botbs For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #35
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
Hi Clipdat,

I am about to pull the trigger on the AST 5100 coilovers, few questions for you:

Thanks!
I'm installing a set of Whiteline MaxG coilovers this weekend (based on the 5100). I'll give some impressions as soon as I can, I'll be autocrossing a week after installation.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lincoln Logs For This Useful Post:
botbs (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #36
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Lincoln Logs: review also how it feels daily driving with them.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #37
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Will follow up and get you some answers when I have a chance to collect my thoughts!

Quote:
Hi Clipdat,

Thanks!

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
botbs (03-02-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #38
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Lincoln Logs: review also how it feels daily driving with them.
Yes, will do I just wrapped up installation last night. My video on installation will be up tonight and first impression video will be later this week. My first impressions on the drive home are really good. With the shipped 5kg/5kg springs, they feel really nice on the road and are making me excited about autocross this weekend. I'll be driving the car back and forth to work all week before I get the car aligned. So far all of my driving has been on my factory wheels/tires, I expect a firmer ride with the 245 RE-71r.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #39
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

1.) I have a little over 10k on mine. There hasn't been any maintenance issues in terms of loud clunks or other issues that I've needed to address.

2.) I'll probably need to rebuild them after another 10k would be my uneducated guess.

3.) If I had to do it over, I would probably not go for something this aggressive. These are meant for like 80% track 20% street, imo. The "default" spring rate of 6k/7k and off the shelf damping are not very forgiving for DD. There doesn't seem to be a lot of low speed damping and shock absorption going on. You really feel every little pavement imperfection when cruising around at lower speeds like 25-35.

4.) I haven't tracked the car, but I have done several very aggressive runs on Mines Rd with RE71Rs. In terms of the handling characteristics, I find it to be very neutral and predictable, no surprises. It reminds me a little of the way that my RCE Yellow springs performed, although this is obviously MUCH stiffer.

Another thing I noticed is that it seemed to handle better the more aggressively you drove it. If you're taking it "spiritedly" it's fine, and will more or less do what you tell it to do and it's a lot of fun. But if you really start pushing it, and just throwing the car into the corners braking late, and with aggressive steering inputs while powering on the throttle, it seems to absolutely LOVE it. It's actually ridiculous how hard you can push it and it just responds so well when you're just going super hard.

Because of this, I imagine that these would be fantastic on track in a competitive situation with smooth pavement surfaces. The traction and handling limit with the RE71Rs seemed to be limitless.

5.) I have the OEM sway bars, the Grimmspeed front strut tower bar, Superpro endlinks up front and Torque Solutions endlinks in the rear. SPL rear LCAs and toe arms as well.

Quote:
Hi Clipdat,

Thanks!

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
botbs (03-07-2018), strat61caster (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #40
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Few more things I forgot to mention, the steering is super neutral and light as well, even with 245/40 tires. It's effortless and extremely pleasurable.

Also as mentioned above, there's a ton of communication being transmitted to the driver in terms of the road surface. In some ways it's a benefit to be able to feel that much information coming through to you. You feel super planted and connected to the road.

The build quality is obviously nice, I just think they are a bit too aggressive for street use.

BUT, if you don't care about some bone jarring here and there, and want to feel like you are driving around in a badass car, then go for it.

BECAUSE RACECAR.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
botbs (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #41
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

@botbs If you're unsure about off the shelf spring rates and valving, I would reach out to AST directly.

They're re-branding their North American operations and putting a lot of emphasis on their local dealers. It's worth reaching out to them via phone/email and describing what your needs/goals are and having them suggest what product might be the best for you.

Who knows, you might actually be better off with their 2000 or 4100 systems, perhaps with custom valving or rates.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
botbs (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #42
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
1.) I have a little over 10k on mine. There hasn't been any maintenance issues in terms of loud clunks or other issues that I've needed to address.

2.) I'll probably need to rebuild them after another 10k would be my uneducated guess.

3.) If I had to do it over, I would probably not go for something this aggressive. These are meant for like 80% track 20% street, imo. The "default" spring rate of 6k/7k and off the shelf damping are not very forgiving for DD. There doesn't seem to be a lot of low speed damping and shock absorption going on. You really feel every little pavement imperfection when cruising around at lower speeds like 25-35.

4.) I haven't tracked the car, but I have done several very aggressive runs on Mines Rd with RE71Rs. In terms of the handling characteristics, I find it to be very neutral and predictable, no surprises. It reminds me a little of the way that my RCE Yellow springs performed, although this is obviously MUCH stiffer.

Another thing I noticed is that it seemed to handle better the more aggressively you drove it. If you're taking it "spiritedly" it's fine, and will more or less do what you tell it to do and it's a lot of fun. But if you really start pushing it, and just throwing the car into the corners braking late, and with aggressive steering inputs while powering on the throttle, it seems to absolutely LOVE it. It's actually ridiculous how hard you can push it and it just responds so well when you're just going super hard.

Because of this, I imagine that these would be fantastic on track in a competitive situation with smooth pavement surfaces. The traction and handling limit with the RE71Rs seemed to be limitless.

5.) I have the OEM sway bars, the Grimmspeed front strut tower bar, Superpro endlinks up front and Torque Solutions endlinks in the rear. SPL rear LCAs and toe arms as well.

I would imagine those 2 bolded statements have a direct link. It's not that they love it, but that they grip so much they can take it. Their limits would be higher with smooth inputs I would guess.

Sticky tires just mask bad habits

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote