follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Jhood

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited [6MT/SWP]
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Techstream TIS VCI Installation Guide (64-bit OS) Including All Software Needed!

Hey ft86!

This is for anyone that is currently trying to use Techstream software to access dealer abilities on their BRZ/FRS with a MINI-VCI cable and software. I know there are a few threads out there already on the subject, but they don't contain any useful guides on how to actually succeed in activating and using this software, it's mostly just download links.

I got stuck doing Google searches for about 2 hours trying to figure out if this could be done on a Windows 64-bit computer without the use of annoying Dual Boot or Virtual Machines on XP, and despite what most of these threads say, IT CAN BE DONE!

This will work on WINDOWS XP / 7 / 8 / 10 / 11, 64-bit operating systems.
The software works on any OS, but the drivers are the problem, so instead they just have to be downloaded manually. I hope this helps some of you guys out.

Download all of the files from this Google Drive link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...d7?usp=sharing

(Even if you have the mini cd, and have the software already, you still need to download the "mvci-x64.reg" and "Techstream_Update_V8.10.021.exe" files from that link. Also, make sure your cd comes with the same version that is listed as mine; 8.00.034. And completely uninstall any traces of previous attempts to download the software)

Equipment Needed:
  1. MINI VCI cable for TOYOTA TIS Techstream. I bought mine from Amazon for $25. The cable is about 4’ long, with translucent casing and “MINI-VCI J2534 Standard OBDII Communication Interface” sticker:

The cable comes with a mini CD with drivers and Toyota Techstream software. Mine was advertised as “Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software”. The “newest” refers to the version of bundled Techstream, rather than the cable firmware, as cable shows serial number “MVCI006000001” and firmware version 1.4.1, which is widely known as “cheap clone of the original XHorse MVCI cable”.
  2. A laptop running 64-bit version of Windows 7/8. Mine is actually Windows 7 x64, but for Windows 8 the configuration procedure should be identical.

The content of bundled mini-CD:

The Techstream, MVCI drivers and TIS Key all can be found on the mini disk, but I will leave a .zip download containing them if you guys need them.

Steps:
  1. Download and install a trial version of WinRAR if you don't already have it.
  2. Using WinRAR Unpack the following files from either the mini-CD or the download to a temp folder on your hard drive (Use c:\temp).

- Toyota Techstream 8.00.034
    - Techstream_Update_V8.10.021
    - MVCI Driver for TOYOTA
    - TIS KEY
  3. Now open WinRAR again. Using the program, navigate to the temp folder with unpacked files and double click the TISKey.exe in WinRAR.

The TISKey.exe is actually a self-extracting (SFX) RAR archive file. Once executed, it simply unpacks and copies the IT3System.ini file to the Techstream folder. Extract the IT3System.ini file to desktop for now.

Installing MVCI Driver for TOYOTA:

This is the step most people stumble on as “MVCI Driver for TOYOTA.msi” installer indeed does not work on Windows x64. The workaround is to install it manually, as follows:

Open the Command Prompt in Administrator Mode, and run the following command line:

msiexec /a "C:\temp\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA.msi" /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp\mvci

This will extract the content of the MSI file to the c:\temp\mvci folder. Go ahead and close the Command Prompt window, and open up the c:\temp\mvci folder :

1. Delete the “MVCI Driver for TOYOTA.msi” there. (Now go into C:\Program Files (x86) and then create a new folder called "XHorse Electronics" and then inside of that folder create another called "MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS") Then copy the whole content of c:\temp\mvci to "C:\Program Files (x86)\XHorse Electronics\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS"
  2. Plug the MINI VCI cable to the USB port.
  3. Open the Device Manager and locate the two failing devices in the list. Both will appear with yellow icon (usually under “Other”), indicating that Windows failed to install drivers for them. Now, right click each failing device, select Install Driver, then “Browse my Computer…” and point it for "C:\Program Files (x86)\XHorse Electronics\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS" (enable the “include subfolders” flag). Click “Next” and wait until drivers are installed.

You should now see two new devices: “Universal Serial Bus Controllers\USB Serial Converter” and “Ports (COM & LPT)\USB Serial Port (COM5)”.
  4. Run the FirmwareUpdateTool.exe from the "C:\Program Files (x86)\XHorse Electronics\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS". Click “Device Info”. You should see the “device connected” screen like this:

1. If you see this, it means your MINI VCI is up and running under Windows x64 and can be used by other programs, such as Techstream.

IMPORTANT: Some people have reported that updating firmware on this “cheap clone” cable may render it dead. So, the Firmware Update Tool should NOT be used for anything, but checking that the device is connected and working properly.
  1. Now install the Techstream software using "Techstream 8.00.034.exe" and then after installation, open up the "Techstream_Update_V8.10.021.exe" file to update it. DO NOT launch it yet.

To activate it, drag the IT3System.ini you extracted before to the desktop over into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Toyota Diagnostics\Techstream\Env". When prompted, overwrite the preexisting file with the new one you are dragging over.

*NOTE: it's possible that if using Windows 10/11 that the IT3System.ini file will not show on the desktop, and you will actually find it in the C:\Program Files (x86)\XHorse Electronics\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS\Techstream\Env" If so, copy the 2 files in that folder and paste them to overwrite the preexisting file listed above*

2. Registry Hack: for Techstream to recognize MINI-VCI under Windows x64, the Registry has to be modified as:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PassThruSu pport.04.04]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PassThruSu pport.04.04\XHorse - MVCI]
    "Name"="XHorse - MVCI"
    "Vendor"="XHorse ELECTRONICS Co.,Ltd."
    "ConfigApplication"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\XHorse Electronics\\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS\\FirmwareUpdateTool.exe"
    "FunctionLibrary"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\XHorse Electronics\\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS\\MVCI32.dll"
    "APIVersion"="04.04"
    "ProductVersion"="1.1.0"
    "ProtocolsSupported"="J1850VPW:1, J1850PWM:1, CAN:1, ISO9141:1, ISO14230:1, ISO15765:1"
    "J1850VPW"=dword:00000001
    "J1850PWM"=dword:00000001
    "ISO9141"=dword:00000001
    "ISO14230"=dword:00000001
    "CAN"=dword:00000001
    "ISO15765"=dword:00000001
    "SCI_A_ENGINE"=dword:00000000
    "SCI_A_TRANS"=dword:00000000
    "SCI_B_ENGINE"=dword:00000000
    "SCI_B_TRANS"=dword:00000000

The attached "mvci-x64.reg" contains the *.REG file that has to be imported to the Registry (all you have to do in this step is just extract the file to the desktop, right click, then click Merge)

(ONLY IF MANUALLY CHANGING) - A trick here is the "Wow6432Node" in key path, which is the location the 32-bit applications running on 64-bit OS get redirected to when accessing Registry. The "PassThruSupport.04.04" seems to be the place Techstream looks into for available VIMs (sub-keys appear in the "VIM Select" menu in Techstream).
  3. Run Techstream. Go to Setup | VIM Select menu and select the “XHorse - MVCI”
  4. Connect MVCI cable to your car’s OBDII interface, turn ignition on, then click “Connect to Vehicle” in Techstream. Wait. Then wait again (by the way, you'll be doing that a lot with this cable ). If everything works, you will be prompted to confirm car year/model after which you'll get to the diagnostic interface.

You may also need to download Java Script if using newer version of windows, but the software will alert you if so. You can find it for free online.

Just to clear it up, you do not have to register this software after this is all done, it is yours forever (almost). Mostly all of the customizable options can be accessed with this update so I would not mess with it and try to get anything new as it is not needed!

I hope this guide works for you guys, it sure as hell saved me a whole lot of frustration when I found it. If you have any questions regarding installation just comment and let me know!

Last edited by Jhood; 09-06-2021 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Switched to google drive
Jhood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Jhood For This Useful Post:
AdamAnt (04-08-2016), AlexTheGreek (07-05-2015), aristo (09-01-2014), aznchris (12-28-2019), BabaYaga (02-24-2016), davesrave (04-12-2015), Dezoris (08-27-2014), etc (09-28-2016), H1C (03-21-2018), MJones_RB (06-09-2015), mush (08-27-2014), nos145 (12-16-2019), rs999 (12-24-2014), Sportsguy83 (02-25-2016), STV3 (08-27-2014), tato.valverde (03-26-2015), wmak (11-15-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
crazyfrenchbiker
Hot Lava 6MT

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks for putting this together, I am going to give it a shot.
crazyfrenchbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Jhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrenchbiker View Post
Thanks for putting this together, I am going to give it a shot.
No problem, just added in a Dropbox link to all of the files needed.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
thanks, i couldnt get it working before... will try again
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
Jhood

Updated Dropbox Downloads
Old 12-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
k9mattk

Drives: toyota
Hello jhood,

Sorry for the duplicate msg, but was not sure if first one went through because of being a new member to forum.

Thanks for the great detailed write-up on the install. I followed it closely, and every thing really seemed to work just rite. however when I went to run the program I get an error msg. "unable to connect to VIM" I got the XHorse utility to recognize the VIM, and the program to start, but when connect to vehicle is selected the error msg pops up. I guess I suspect I did not do something correct with the registry hack???

again thanks, and if you have any ideas that would be great. May need to just get a vista computer for this program, but was hopping to get it going on this one

Matt
k9mattk@gmail.com
k9mattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #7
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Carista can do dome of the basics as well.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
davesrave

Drives: 2014 Boxster S; 2015 Macan S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This Installation Guide Works for TIS Version 10.00.028

I found these instructions necessary for installation of the latest version, 10.00.028, which I just purchased along with the Mini - MVCI cable. I went through every step and the one difference is that step 3 is no longer required. Can't thank you enough because all of the other advice I found on the web wasn't working. Thanks.
davesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Jhood

Sorry guys, for everyone who had PM'd me I had the car garaged for the winter, I haven't worked on it or been on the forum in a while. I'm finally back though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mattk View Post
I guess I suspect I did not do something correct with the registry hack???
Not sure if you already figured this out, but yes my guess would be if your computer recognized the cable, but does not work with the software, that you either need to go back over the registry editor step (you could always manually edit it as well) or the update to the software was not successful, make sure you're currently running v8.10.021. @davesrave seems to have it working on v10.00.028 as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jhood For This Useful Post:
davesrave (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
kwichelns

Drives: 2000 camry
K9MATTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mattk View Post
Hello jhood,

Sorry for the duplicate msg, but was not sure if first one went through because of being a new member to forum.

Thanks for the great detailed write-up on the install. I followed it closely, and every thing really seemed to work just rite. however when I went to run the program I get an error msg. "unable to connect to VIM" I got the XHorse utility to recognize the VIM, and the program to start, but when connect to vehicle is selected the error msg pops up. I guess I suspect I did not do something correct with the registry hack???

again thanks, and if you have any ideas that would be great. May need to just get a vista computer for this program, but was hopping to get it going on this one

Matt
k9mattk@gmail.com

Mine had the same problem I'm not sure fixed it but I
1) performed the update that Jhood told you to open but not execute ( never actually said to run the update in the write up )
2) followed the steps after you open the tech stream program under settings to change the VIM it was to look at ( one of the last steps on the writeup)

Then mine worked
kwichelns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #11
wdenslow

Drives: 2013 toyota 4 runner
I have tried the steps above several times and still can't get to work. Any help greatly appreciated.
wdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
Shinobu's Smile

Drives: 2010 Tacoma, 2015 BRZ AT Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdenslow View Post
I have tried the steps above several times and still can't get to work. Any help greatly appreciated.

I could only get the software/drivers to work on an old XP laptop I had. I tried, 2 windows 7, 1 Vista, 2 Windows 8 and had no luck. So you might want to try it on something old.
Shinobu's Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #13
LBL

Drives: Land Cruiser
K-Line

I'm not sure how relevant this is but there is a seller on the Bay that says "For toyota and lexus before 2005, we recommend the Original Mini VCI Cable with latest v2.0.4 firmware (K-line Supported)" which they just happen to sell.

I have a 2001 Land Cruiser and I had ordered the Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream cable and I could get it to connect via your method and my Win 64 laptop (but not my Win 32 laptop oddly enough) but it would not see all of the systems. I could not see a Smart Key or when it ran the Health Data it could not connect to all of the Systems. I just kept searching and searching to find out why I could not and ran across this.

So I have returned my other cable and have bought one that supports K-line instead. I hope it will detect a Smart Key this time.

Thank you for your write up.

LBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #14
AlexTheGreek

Drives: BRZ Premium Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhood View Post
Hey ft86!

...If everything works, you will be prompted to confirm car year/model after which you'll get to the diagnostic interface....
Works great thanks. Followed this to a T on a Lenovo W530 operating Windows 7 64bit.

I purchased my cable off of Ebay "White Mini VCI 16 Pin OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for TOYOTA TIS Techstream" from seller "nycom-tech"

The menu is a little counter-intuitive, but seem to be able to access all features.

Also when I ran the firmware update tool, all the device information matched yours exactly.
AlexTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
obd2, obdii, techstream, tis, vci