follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Thongpocket
Master Troll

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Audio Guru help needed

So I am finally ready to start my audio install. A little back ground on me; I used to install car stereo back in the day and plan to do all the work myself. I have been out of the game for a bit so thats why I am asking for help.

I have a 2013 BRZ limited. I am going to use a Kenwood DNX8120 headunit since I can't seem to sell it anyways. I will need to run a GPS antenna unelss I can somehow use the factory one. The same goes for the bluetooth mic. Help here would be awesome. Also, I plan to do some pretty extensive sound deadening on the door and cannot find a thread where someone did so with corrugated plastic inserts and alot of really nice custom touches. So inout on sound deadening is apprecaited too. I have a JL XD400w 4 channel I plan to run the doors and dash speakers on and leave the rears on headunit power. I would like to go with a quality Hertz or JL audio componant set and some decent 4" speakers in the dash as well. Speaker suggestions are welcome. I will be getting a JL audio XD600 for the Sub and going with a JL audio 10W6 sub in a custom passenger side corner box. Thanks for reading and any input you can provide.

CLIFF NOTES: Can you use factory GPS and bluetotohm ic with aftermarket HU?
Speaker suggestions for doors and dash?
Sound deadening advice?
Thongpocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
You should be able to just splice the gps and mic wires into the HU wire harness, provided it does have the inputs.
There is a sound deadening thread on here, look for it.. you will find it.
So your gonna be running a 3 way component? or a 2 way and mids? I dont see why you would buy a component set and then add mids to it..

I like to keep things the same, so if you are already in the JL scene; stick with it. JL has some decent sets on their catalogue, look up and see what fits your budget and needs.
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashal View Post
I like to keep things the same, so if you are already in the JL scene; stick with it. JL has some decent sets on their catalogue, look up and see what fits your budget and needs.
i don't see any reason to keep anything the same.. every brand excels in different area's, there's no reason to accept less in one area just because another area seems better than the other brands...

that's why i ran peerless mids, dayton tweeters, kicker subs, and alpine amps...
Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
If you want to add 4" mids into the mix, then you're going to need either custom x-overs for them or run active with a processor. Unless the amp you choose has a suitable bandpass filter.

Check this thread for ideas: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29027
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
If you want to add 4" mids into the mix, then you're going to need either custom x-overs for them or run active with a processor. Unless the amp you choose has a suitable bandpass filter.

Check this thread for ideas: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29027
Having tried to integrate 3.5" mids without a DSP/processor, I would second getting a good processor if you insist on the mids. I ended up disabling mine since the audio actually sounded worse with the 3.5's added to the mix. I plan to get a processor down the road.

Otherwise just focus on getting some good tweeters and woofers and a sub. It is a big upgrade vs stock.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Thongpocket
Master Troll

After looking at some of the pro audio builds it seems tweeters in the dash and a good set of 6.5's in the doors is what a lot of people are doing. I don't mind sticking to JL for amps because they are small and work great but I want really good sound quality and volume. I would have figured no mids in the dash would take away from the front stage but the pros are doing it so it must work.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Yes, 2-way is considerably easier than 3-way to get right.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
Yes, 2-way is considerably easier than 3-way to get right.
And cheaper. You can get a better 2-way system vs 3-way for the same money.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Zippy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thongpocket View Post
CLIFF NOTES: Can you use factory GPS and bluetotohm ic with aftermarket HU?
Speaker suggestions for doors and dash?
Sound deadening advice?
The factory GPS is cabled to the factory amp in the trunk for power. Yes you can use it, just be prepared to hone your wire-fu skills. For most it is too much hassle.

The factory Bluetooth mic is tuned to the factory head unit. You can use it,but it will sound bad on the other end.

If you go with the 3-way components and use both the amps crossover and the passive crossover for the components you should be fine. Both Hertz and JL make good components. Listen to them both and then go with what sounds best to you. FYI, I went Hertz Mille 3 PA and have not regretted it one bit.

For sound deadening, look at the sticky audio index at the top of this sub forum for some good ideas. Also, diyma forum has a LOT of good info on the subject.
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Thongpocket
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
The factory GPS is cabled to the factory amp in the trunk for power. Yes you can use it, just be prepared to hone your wire-fu skills. For most it is too much hassle.

The factory Bluetooth mic is tuned to the factory head unit. You can use it,but it will sound bad on the other end.

If you go with the 3-way components and use both the amps crossover and the passive crossover for the components you should be fine. Both Hertz and JL make good components. Listen to them both and then go with what sounds best to you. FYI, I went Hertz Mille 3 PA and have not regretted it one bit.

For sound deadening, look at the sticky audio index at the top of this sub forum for some good ideas. Also, diyma forum has a LOT of good info on the subject.
What does that set run?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i don't see any reason to keep anything the same.. every brand excels in different area's, there's no reason to accept less in one area just because another area seems better than the other brands...

that's why i ran peerless mids, dayton tweeters, kicker subs, and alpine amps...
Sure, with all the new technology you dont need mids just to separate the frequency, a component set thats tuned right will sound just as tight as going separates all the way, which is a shit ton of work.
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
Zippy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thongpocket View Post
What does that set run?

I had gotten my Mille MLK 3 PA for $1600. They are Hertz top of the line components. The HSK 163 set is the High Energy Hertz version of them and it runs around $600. The main reason I went with the Mille was the 6.5" from the set. It's one of the best, if not the best, midbass drivers on the market. After a lot of sound deadening to my doors, I almost did not need a sub.
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
You can use the factory BT mic, I wrote a DIY on how to do it somewhere. Alternatively, you can run your Kenwood mic to the factory location, unclip the factory mic and mount the Kenwood, no wire splicing needed for that option (I also have a DIY for this).

The GPS antenna doesn't really need to be ran. It can be tucked behind the passenger side dash panels and receive full signal, that's where I have had mine with 0 issues in 4 months.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
Thongpocket (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
2pt5RS
Berz

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
@Afghan Vet
2pt5RS is offline   Reply With Quote