follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Water spots over opticoat

I had my raven professionally Opticoated a few months ago, but now I have some water-spot rings that won't come off. I think I got them on there from my garden hose, but got busy and didn't dry them, thinking it had been wet many times before with no problem. This time when I washed them, they left little rings around where every spot had been. My Opticoat guy says this is probably a sulfur buildup, which should not have come from my hose. He has some stuff that will take it off, but suggested I try 50/50 vinegar and water. That didn't get them, and neither did full-strength vinegar, so I'll call the guy to come treat it

I once got something similar when I left the car out overnight and the well water from our condo sprinkler system dried on it. The Opticoat guy got it off that time.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I suggest you try a clay bar.

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
I had my raven professionally Opticoated a few months ago, but now I have some water-spot rings that won't come off. I think I got them on there from my garden hose, but got busy and didn't dry them, thinking it had been wet many times before with no problem. This time when I washed them, they left little rings around where every spot had been. My Opticoat guy says this is probably a sulfur buildup, which should not have come from my hose. He has some stuff that will take it off, but suggested I try 50/50 vinegar and water. That didn't get them, and neither did full-strength vinegar, so I'll call the guy to come treat it

I once got something similar when I left the car out overnight and the well water from our condo sprinkler system dried on it. The Opticoat guy got it off that time.
There are special water spots cleaners at the market before use a clay bar
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I think a clay bar will take off the ceramic. Anyway my Opticoat guy came out and got it off with some stuff that was not abrasive and didn't take off the ceramic. This was a mineral deposit which theoretically should not be in a city water system.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote