follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #757
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,412 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Can't wait to see it all back together. I'm sure you can't either.
Very much getting anxious. Weather has been great and would be nice to get to drive the car before it gets super hot in the cabin. Currently trying to figure out correct A/C fittings which is turning out to be a bit of a pain.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #758
DustinS

Nice updates today. ATI Balancer came in yesterday. Only issue being it requires a Torx Plus bit to assemble, which is quite difficult to get ahold of apparently. Ordered one on amazon and will be here Friday along with some ARP assembly lube. Local Oreillys stocks a full (expensive) set at the warehouse so I was able to get it today. Got all the fluids while I was there.

Clutch came back and they definitely had to make some changes. Hopefully they were correct.

I am also trying to sell my current wheels to pick these up from a friend.

Blitz Technospeed Z1
Old 04-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #759
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I never even heard of torx + until I got my ati damper. Now I can say I own a set of them as well. Don't think we will get much use of them. Good luck selling your wheels. Those ones your looking to pick up are nice.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zer0 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (04-24-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #760
DustinS

Engine was installed last night.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #761
DustinS

Started off the weekend making new radiator mounts as the ATI crank pulley sits out further than my old one and the radiator didn't fit with the engine in the car.

They still need finalized and cleaned up, but I like them so far. Glad I had to redo them, the welds were garbage with little to no penetration. Need to set it up better for the thicker material.

Moved on to new steam lines

Old ones were pretty shot:

Finalized placement of the oil filter relocation. That sucked to install with the engine in the car, but I made it work. I installed rivnuts to make removing it a lot easier. The tool fit just enough to get them seated.

Lines routed out of the way of the heat from the manifolds.

Made an adapter for the factory oil temp sensor so I can use the one in my cluster.

I really need to change the steam port setup. They suck to install and it looks like a mess. I'm also afraid it's going to leak really bad.

Engine is almost all wired/plummed up. Just waiting on the 45 degree -20an fittings.

Fitted the wheels, and unfortunately the fronts don't clear the brakes.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:39 PM   #762
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Man I want to see your car start. You have been through alot during this swap.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
DustinS (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #763
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
To bad those wheels didn't work out. I'm sure you will find something you like that fits well after you get the car running.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zer0 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (05-02-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #764
DustinS

Playing Catchup, but:

Weekend was eventful. I spent around 14 hours working on the car Saturday. I was expecting to only be working on it for a couple hours and have it done for Cars and Coffee. Definitely wrong. Got it started to a terrible noise which I thought meant it was all coming back out. That "flywheel" cover on the starter happens to hit the flywheel.... I let that one clearance itself out. No pictures as I was just trying to get it done.

Here is where the issue start. Car had an issue priming (Fuel Pump). As in it primed once the first time I turned the key on. Then wouldn't again for another 20 minutes. Messed with a few grounds to make sure they were connected well. Still no dice. Though if it primed, it would run fine.

Got the car on the ground Sunday, buttoned up a few last things (Mainly a coolant leak at the heater line on the firewall). Went for a test drive and it drove great, Vibration at 2500 rpm is gone. I am pretty sure the vibrations that are there are normal for a v8 with almost solid bushings. Very happy there. Drove it to the car wash, all was well until I tried turning it on the leave... No priming/No Start. No fuel. Spent half an hour trying to get it to do it just once before finding the issue.

Pin on the fuel pump connector heated up and melted the fuel hat. Pin was stuck on the connector. Though the connector didn't show signs of any heat. It's wet with fuel, so I somehow dodged a bullet and the car didn't burn down (though at this point )

Car is sitting in my friends garage waiting for me to figure out the next move. Neither of my 20 amp fuel pump fuses are popped... Hoping my fuel pump didn't somehow die. Though it is a DW300c that is almost 3 years old at this point.

2 options. Drill out the connector and use heavy gauge wires and pot the pass through with epoxy, or go to the radium hanger. $10 mod or $600+ mod haha

Day #2

Got to work on the car right after work (and a trip to grab hardware). Pulled the fuel pump assembly and it was hard not to notice the issue:

It was isolated to just this plug, so I assume the connection was poor and caused issues over time. It was completely melted together and I can't get it out at all. So I just cut the wires flush. Put epoxy in the melted hole from the top.

Drilled slightly undersized holes, put some epoxy on a nylon washer, and used stainless m6 screw as a stud. Should be sealed very well, and will hold up to plenty of amps. Shouldn't have any issues with melting things unless I have a very bad problem.

I engraved the "P" into the top the best I could. Then marked "P" and "N" to help from screwing it up next time. Even though it's pretty easy to check before putting it together. Wanted to make it idiot proof.

Quick shot of the new grill blanks I made from 1/8 ABS to get rid of that terrible looking corrugated plastic. Just need to make the side pieces that attach to the radiator to help force air into it. I noticed the fans stay on for a considerable amount longer than with the old full blown radiator and stock fans. We will have to see how well they hold up to summer heat and traffic.

Car was really clean until the storm last night

More pictures. Mostly of radiator mounting/hose routing

Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #765
DustinS

Old 05-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #766
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
That last pic looks so good and mean

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
DustinS (05-09-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #767
DustinS

Ready to burn the car to the ground.

[ame="http://youtu.be/dC5Xa3RmmV4"]Latest Oil Change[/ame]

Also still have a drivetrain vibration at higher speeds that makes the shifter shake so bad the transmission feels like it's about to fall out.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #768
DustinS

Started working on the A/C after an oil change last night. Messed up and double ordered a set of fitting yesterday because I forgot I had already ordered them, and they wouldn't let me cancel the order. So on top of having to send them back, I also had to order the correct fittings. The fittings I did buy weren't actually for my compressor.

I also found that the factory condenser is the same size and fits better than the aftermarket one I bought. Also allows me to use factory fittings, which is good because I was going to need to have custom fittings made. On to pictures

Using Factory hardline up the passenger frame rail. Going to have to extend the wiring, best done when engine is out getting rebuilt Going to get a hose end welded on. All of the lines will get some kind of heat protection around the manifolds.

Using the FRS Compressor fitting on the compressor as well. Fits a lot better than the universal kit parts. It also seals correctly. Will need modified slightly with a new hose end welded on shorter, same for the condenser side of the #8 line.

Not a ton of room, especially out back.

Probably going to end up having extra fitting welded on so the hose isn't so kinked. I need to do a little filing on the back of the head to make sure it doesn't puncture the line.

Oh and on the oil change. Just as much metal as last time, only 550 miles on this oil. Have a sample to send to blackstone to see what they say. I am betting its cylinder walls and I am screwed. Maybe I get lucky and it's just the rings?

Old 07-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #769
DustinS

Not a lot going on. Did a deep clean of the interior, seats needed a good scrubbing. I also properly mounted the battery, and switched to a smaller sub. My old one over powered the speakers easily and was just too much for the car. Smaller one is a much better fit for the car.

Need to clean the truck floor better, and I also need to build a support plate for it as well. Not running the spare in the trunk because it wouldn't fit anyway and was just useless weight, but it added support for the flimsy plastic cover.

Sent an oil sample to Blackstone to see what they find in it. Hopefully that will give some answers as to what is going on.

Last edited by DustinS; 07-25-2019 at 10:26 AM.
DustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DustinS For This Useful Post:
Zer0 (07-25-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 11:00 AM   #770
DustinS

Oil Analysis. Not great news