follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #155
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 417
Thanks: 20
Thanked 146 Times in 98 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Header, catback, tune, mild lowering springs, 17"x8" LW wheels, 245/40 sticky tires some strategic bushings and it's a poor man's Porsche. I absolutely love mine. Cheap and fun. Good looks are just a bonus. Gotta love RWD manual coupes that can take a beating.
Got any pictures of your 17x8 with 245/40r17s tires? and what tire are you running i know some run smaller or bigger.
My 225s fit perfect so i am worried a 245 would have too much bulge, but i do want/need some more traction below 40mph.
Seen a few pics some look fine, some look bulged. Curious to see yours.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #156
Yoshoobaroo
MAAAD
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,159
Thanks: 566
Thanked 757 Times in 431 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Isn't a 245 section a tad wide for a 8" wheel?

I have 8" wheels and 225's seem about perfect. I'd run 235/40 but the cost jumps up.


I bought an E46 that had 245s on 8" wheels once. I thought the steering was worn out because it was all over the place on center. Replaced the tie rods and column flex disc, no dice. Turns out the 245s were too wide and were flexing back and forth on the wheel. Replaced them with some 235s and the steering tightened right up.
__________________
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #157
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 53,583
Thanks: 47,816
Thanked 73,847 Times in 33,575 Posts
Mentioned: 1972 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Here in Canada we run winter tires for like 7 months and summer tires for 5 months.
This is why I went to all season tires for the "summer". I can run them from mid March to early December. Although I do compromise for the very warm part of summer I get to extend the season where I don't have to run my actual snow tires by a couple of months.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #158
Vital
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 401
Thanks: 102
Thanked 175 Times in 127 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Got any pictures of your 17x8 with 245/40r17s tires? and what tire are you running i know some run smaller or bigger.
My 225s fit perfect so i am worried a 245 would have too much bulge, but i do want/need some more traction below 40mph.
Seen a few pics some look fine, some look bulged. Curious to see yours.
I have 245/40s on 17x8 too it honestly it feels great. I thought the same thing too that the 245/40 is too wide, but i have Firehawk Indy 500s and they fit nice i do not have any bulge. I can try and PM you some pics.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #159
Lantanafrs2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2013 frs red
Location: South Florida
Posts: 605
Thanks: 112
Thanked 215 Times in 148 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New mustang hpp looks pretty nice.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #160
Freerider
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: 2015 f150 crew cab 4x4 '13 FRSraven
Location: Ga
Posts: 40
Thanks: 15
Thanked 26 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Got any pictures of your 17x8 with 245/40r17s tires? and what tire are you running i know some run smaller or bigger.
My 225s fit perfect so i am worried a 245 would have too much bulge, but i do want/need some more traction below 40mph.
Seen a few pics some look fine, some look bulged. Curious to see yours.
If you like the looks then keep it that way, but remember that 245 is only 10mm wider on each side. My 225s look a Lil small to me. Steering was heavier with the 245s (riken cheapos) no pics sorry. Tire rack specialist said 245 was his favorite for a FRS
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #161
RayRay88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Location: Toronto
Posts: 176
Thanks: 77
Thanked 147 Times in 73 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This is why I went to all season tires for the "summer". I can run them from mid March to early December. Although I do compromise for the very warm part of summer I get to extend the season where I don't have to run my actual snow tires by a couple of months.

For a car like this I'd eat the added winter tire wear and run summers so I can maximize the fun in the 3-4 months of heat we get here lol.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #162
RToyo86
Senior Member
 
RToyo86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 263
Thanks: 195
Thanked 154 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I bought an E46 that had 245s on 8" wheels once. I thought the steering was worn out because it was all over the place on center. Replaced the tie rods and column flex disc, no dice. Turns out the 245s were too wide and were flexing back and forth on the wheel. Replaced them with some 235s and the steering tightened right up.
That corresponds to what I've heard about a 245 on 8" wheels.
It pinches the tire and causes weird drivability issues. A 8.5" wheel would probably be better suited to a 245 section.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #163
RToyo86
Senior Member
 
RToyo86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 263
Thanks: 195
Thanked 154 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
I have 245/40s on 17x8 too it honestly it feels great. I thought the same thing too that the 245/40 is too wide, but i have Firehawk Indy 500s and they fit nice i do not have any bulge. I can try and PM you some pics.
Perhaps the stiffer sidewall on the Indy makes up for the fact that ia 245 is on the wide end of the spectrum for that wheel?
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #164
Vital
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 401
Thanks: 102
Thanked 175 Times in 127 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Perhaps the stiffer sidewall on the Indy makes up for the fact that ia 245 is on the wide end of the spectrum for that wheel?
Yep, thats what im thinking too. I think its subjective, but personally i didnt feel all the ill effects that is posted about fitting 245/40s on 8" wheel
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #165
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 53,583
Thanks: 47,816
Thanked 73,847 Times in 33,575 Posts
Mentioned: 1972 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
For a car like this I'd eat the added winter tire wear and run summers so I can maximize the fun in the 3-4 months of heat we get here lol.
99% of my driving is normal commuting so it really just makes sense.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
why? (04-19-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 02:28 AM   #166
CJRhoades
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Location: Indiana
Posts: 48
Thanks: 22
Thanked 50 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
It depends what you want to sacrifice. A new car will always be a new car. A used car no matter how much better, will need more maintenance and to change parts sooner or even from day one.
True enough. I think one of the biggest benefits of a new car is the warranty though and if you're planning on dumping $10k worth of mods into it on day one that goes right out the window. I would also make the case that Porsches are usually meticulously maintained and have lower mileage compared to other used vehicles of the same vintage. Of course I've spent the last month or so convincing myself that I need a Porsche so I may be slightly biased.
CJRhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJRhoades For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (04-18-2019), Tcoat (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #167
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 417
Thanks: 20
Thanked 146 Times in 98 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRhoades View Post
True enough. I think one of the biggest benefits of a new car is the warranty though and if you're planning on dumping $10k worth of mods into it on day one that goes right out the window. I would also make the case that Porsches are usually meticulously maintained and have lower mileage compared to other used vehicles of the same vintage. Of course I've spent the last month or so convincing myself that I need a Porsche so I may be slightly biased.
It depends on the mods, you can not void a warranty at least in USA. To deny a warranty claim they have to prove that your modification contributed to the failure. Depending on the mod that might not be difficult to do, so you have a point. But suspension, brakes, wheels, catback, shouldn't have any issues with potential warranty work unless it was in one of those specific areas. Also depending on the mod, if you retain factory parts and reinstall them before going in, a good possibility they would have no idea. Same with flashing back stock tune.

On a lot of these high end cars people often reference and say go buy one used which probably already has at least 75k+ miles already on it. They are generally already less reliable to begin with, and more expensive to fix when something does happen. Sure you can "get into them" for the price, but expect to spend a lot more in order to "stay in them"
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #168
nikitopo
Senior Member
 
nikitopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 2,653
Thanks: 1,597
Thanked 1,232 Times in 832 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Warranty is an important aspect, but not the most important. How many cars are fixed under warranty? Chances are small, especially if you can avoid the first 2 years of production. The majority of issues will be known till then and solved. For me the most important aspect of a new car is that the first years you change basically fluids, filters, tires and brake pads. I managed to get from the dealer even free checks and labor costs for the first 5 years!
__________________
A show car is not always a race car, but a race car is always a show car.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRZ Test Drive Captain Snooze AUSTRALIA 3 09-28-2012 03:42 AM
The FR-S Test Drive Blackfly Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 29 09-19-2012 09:17 PM
BRZ Test Drive davesrave New England 5 06-04-2012 12:00 AM
Test Drive brzmass12 Subaru BRZ General Forum 8 04-12-2012 11:16 AM
FT-86 Test Drive knoxviue Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 36 11-30-2011 02:43 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.