follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2019, 12:23 AM   #687
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To those being stranded on the road or having other safety issues after this recall-please post a complaint here so that something can actually be done about this half-assed recall:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (04-10-2019), Tokay444 (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 06:05 AM   #688
Russell86

Drives: Toyota 86 gts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not happy jan

Had my 86 in for recall when they phoned and said ready
Went in to pickup but before I took possession I started it and immediately noticed ticking and rough idle was told that’s normal and it had rough idle when brought in
After arguing for sometime as to who is going to fix they wanted to charge me to look I told them find the problem they said compression down in 3 rd pot could be cause
Went back to get and ticking gone till I traveled 6 ks then started again back in it goes again for a week couldn’t find problem picked it up now getting worse emailed Toyota they said take back to look at but won’t say who paying to look might have to go consumer affairs?
Done 79000 serviced by same dealer
Russell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #689
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
1950 miles since the recall. Just got a CEL and traction control light. Fault code PO171. I was sitting at a traffic light and the engine idle dipped down to below 500 RPM and just about stalled. And the CEL and traction lights came on. Tried to turn off the traction control light but couldn't do it. This weird idle situation has been happening ever since I brought my car in. Gonna erase the code and see what happens tomorrow.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #690
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Another thing I should mention. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I was in a traffic jam this morning on I-95. Took me 58 minutes to go about 4 miles. I put 30,000 miles of wear on my clutch in 4 miles. And the whole time the idle was doing it's weird thing.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #691
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I wouldn't erase a code.... take it back to the dealer.

Moving 4 miles and putting 30k of wear on a clutch just due to traffic??? Learn stick shift.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #692
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Another thing I should mention. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I was in a traffic jam this morning on I-95. Took me 58 minutes to go about 4 miles. I put 30,000 miles of wear on my clutch in 4 miles. And the whole time the idle was doing it's weird thing.
i would advise against erasing the codes. I may be wrong but i remember someone having an issue with the dealership for resetting their codes.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #693
c.klingner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello c.klingner,

I'm just trying to get a timeline established in my old mind.

Now, how many miles did you put on your car since the last time the dealership messed with it and you noticed the tapping noise?

And as soon as you noticed the noise, you checked the oil and discovered it was 1 and 2/3 quart low?

Just trying to help sort this out.

humfrz
I had It for 2 weeks, was driving home to see my family in savannah, GA from Newport News, VA and I didn’t get a low oil light either. But there was no oil on the dipstick at all. The dealership got back to me today though and they found one of my direct injectors was missing the seal and are saying that was the source of the noise I was hearing and needs to be replaced. When I asked about the oil issue and if they found anything about that, the tech said that he never seen the oil low so he has no idea but the oil level is still good. Basically sounds like since I didn’t just get it towed back to the dealership and filled it with oil myself we are just going to ignore that it was even an issue. Probably due to the fact that the injector has nothing to do with the recall so they are relieved of fault now.
c.klingner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c.klingner For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #694
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.klingner View Post
I had It for 2 weeks, was driving home to see my family in savannah, GA from Newport News, VA and I didn’t get a low oil light either. But there was no oil on the dipstick at all. The dealership got back to me today though and they found one of my direct injectors was missing the seal and are saying that was the source of the noise I was hearing and needs to be replaced. When I asked about the oil issue and if they found anything about that, the tech said that he never seen the oil low so he has no idea but the oil level is still good. Basically sounds like since I didn’t just get it towed back to the dealership and filled it with oil myself we are just going to ignore that it was even an issue. Probably due to the fact that the injector has nothing to do with the recall so they are relieved of fault now.
The injectors are removed as part of the recall, assuming it's the high pressure injectors? Seals can't "fall off" an injector. They forgot it when it was reassembled.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #695
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
The injectors are removed as part of the recall, assuming it's the high pressure injectors? Seals can't "fall off" an injector. They forgot it when it was reassembled.

Yeah the DIs aren’t removed on this job only PI. The early 2013s had a bug in the transient ignition retard map where the table is all zeroed out in the upper revs. What happens is when shifting at high RPM (anything over 6k) it doesn’t pull timing on the transient which causes detonate and eventually destroys the DI seals. I’m guessing this is what they are referring to on his car. This problem was fixed mid 2014 and the TIR tables were actually revised again in 2017. I got my car with 83k miles on it and within the first week of ownership I got a Tactrix cable so I could check/update my CAL and sure enough my car was on the original CAL. When I rebuilt my engine I replaced my DI seals (only $3 each) just as a precaution but they were in great shape. I guess this is a sign that the previous owner of my car never ran it hard. The typical symptoms of failed DI seals are described as “fireworks”.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (04-10-2019), maslin (04-09-2019), Tcoat (04-09-2019), Teseo (04-10-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #696
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I thought I saw that they all came out, you're right.

That's unfortunate. The game you play driving a "sports car" past warranty.

Any car anymore I guess. Give me old stuff I can work on in the driveway, or new stuff with a warranty. I have no time for the in between stuff at this point.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-09-2019), Teseo (04-10-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #697
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I wouldn't erase a code.... take it back to the dealer.

Moving 4 miles and putting 30k of wear on a clutch just due to traffic??? Learn stick shift.

I'm sure ol @WNDSRFR was jest spoofing -

However, if the code comes back, he should leave it in place for the dealers tech to read.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (04-10-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #698
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.klingner View Post
hmmm.....I reckon it didn't leave the dealership with no oil showing on the dipstick or it most likely wouldn't have run for two weeks.

So, my concern would be - where did the oil go?

humfrz
Old 04-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #699
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I never updated my post to mention this, but a week or so ago as I was talking to the tech who is responsible for my car I queried him as to what may have caused my dipstick to be completely dry after only a few hundred miles of driving after the recall... it took three quarts to get it back to the top mark. Then.. lots of smoke out the exhaust and very rough running at startup. According to him, when I brought the car back to them, the dipstick tube was not seated properly in the engine, and he said one of his guys must not have installed it correctly.. that's why it read so low. Then, when I added oil, I actually overfilled it because it was reading incorrectly, causing excess oil to pool and gather in the heads causing all of the smoke. Who knows...
In any case, most of the parts are finally in and they're beginning work assembling my new engine. Positive thoughts... positive thoughts....
humfrz (04-09-2019), maslin (04-10-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 11:57 PM   #700
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I never updated my post to mention this, but a week or so ago as I was talking to the tech who is responsible for my car I queried him as to what may have caused my dipstick to be completely dry after only a few hundred miles of driving after the recall... it took three quarts to get it back to the top mark. Then.. lots of smoke out the exhaust and very rough running at startup. According to him, when I brought the car back to them, the dipstick tube was not seated properly in the engine, and he said one of his guys must not have installed it correctly.. that's why it read so low. Then, when I added oil, I actually overfilled it because it was reading incorrectly, causing excess oil to pool and gather in the heads causing all of the smoke. Who knows...
In any case, most of the parts are finally in and they're beginning work assembling my new engine. Positive thoughts... positive thoughts....
So, another thing to check before and after the recall work - the length of the dipstick tube -

humfrz

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue