follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #813
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo86 View Post
So i was right but no one listen to me :'(
You'd be surprised how many people don't listen to me too
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
clayrush (12-29-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #814
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
I'm at 30k miles now. I was under the impression that if I installed it myself, there would be NO warranty on anything. So I was figuring having a shop install it, but if I do that then I'll pay the quoted $800 install fee for only 6k miles left of warranty on the limited power train, and have a 3 year warranty on the superhcarger itself. Doesn't seem worthwhile to pay a shop to do it then.

But if I install it myself, will I still have the 3 year warranty on the supercharger? I can roll the dice and waive the 6,000 remaining miles of the limited power train warranty to save $800 and installing it myself.
The supercharger itself is warranted regardless of who installs it, as long as you do not disassemble the manifold and supercharger.

We have a kit calling your name; PM to order
tracerit (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #815
Paulo86

Drives: Toyota GT86 euro version
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
I was listening - i'd like edelbrock to hear it too, just so they can identify it as such and determine its a normal with the addition of the SC.
Me too cause i'm getting it real soon ^^

I think it's done by the tune on cam advance and ignition timing like csg mike said, its a sound i already heard on harley twin cam !

This sound is in much higher rpm because we have different tune on supercharged fa20 ! The na tune make it at 4000 rpm and ours supercharged tune at 6500 and more

But i don't really like this type of sound :/ ok maybe its making your engine more powerfull and torquy but it sounds nasty
Paulo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #816
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You'd be surprised how many people don't listen to me too

Took me a year and a bunch of money to figure out you were right ;-)
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #817
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo86 View Post
Me too cause i'm getting it real soon ^^

I think it's done by the tune on cam advance and ignition timing like csg mike said, its a sound i already heard on harley twin cam !

This sound is in much higher rpm because we have different tune on supercharged fa20 ! The na tune make it at 4000 rpm and ours supercharged tune at 6500 and more

But i don't really like this type of sound :/ ok maybe its making your engine more powerfull and torquy but it sounds nasty
You can always detune the car to get the preferred sound. You don't *have* to always maximize power.

Unfortunately, on the CSG car, the engine noise is way too loud to hear any valvetrain noise at high RPM.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #818
10Stars

Drives: 14 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is the valvetrain noise present on the FA20dit as well? Our engines are pretty similar yet the sound is much different and we seem to produce way less torque.

I could be wrong but from what I read the noise is less apparent on UEL headers as opposed to EL headers.

This and the JRSC is the go to choices for a Supercharger imo. I'll be getting one in the near future.
10Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #819
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Stars View Post
and we seem to produce way less torque.
due to us not having a turbo?
Old 12-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #820
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
due to us not having a turbo?

Lol Beat me to it
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #821
10Stars

Drives: 14 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Relax guys, I should have clarified. Even while having our cars Supercharged/Turbo we dont produce similar torque numbers to the fa20dit.

Does the Edelbrock have that supercharger whine similar to the Sprintex/Innovate?
10Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #822
CSG Mike

Quote:
Is the valvetrain noise present on the FA20dit as well? Our engines are pretty similar yet the sound is much different and we seem to produce way less torque.

I could be wrong but from what I read the noise is less apparent on UEL headers as opposed to EL headers.

This and the JRSC is the go to choices for a Supercharger imo. I'll be getting one in the near future.
Because the UEL rumble (pressure waves) is loud enough that it masks the noise.
10Stars (12-29-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #823
CSG Mike

Quote:
Relax guys, I should have clarified. Even while having our cars Supercharged/Turbo we dont produce similar torque numbers to the fa20dit.

Does the Edelbrock have that supercharger whine similar to the Sprintex/Innovate?
At the factory supplied boost level, yes, but much, much quieter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
10Stars (12-29-2015), tracerit (12-28-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 01:23 AM   #824
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Going to throw out a bunch of questions :P

1. I've been an avid OFT user so the way Ecutek works is a bit confusing. There's mention that the CARB kit (with tuner) includes the Ecutek cable, dongle and tune. Is the dongle the license that's tied to the ECU?

2. If I end up leaving the BRZ and reselling the Edelbrock kit separately, what parts of the Ecutek tuner kit can be resold? Just the cable?

3. Is the Edelbrock 3 year warranty on the supercharger transferrable to the another user? I"ve only seen mention of the powertrain warranty which is not transferrable, but nothing regarding the supercharger unit.

4. Are there any other recommended upgrades one should make to accommodate the Edelbrock SC? I've read about maybe an upgraded clutch and oil cooler. I never launch my car or go WOT often and have 30k on my car now (why even get a SC then right? haha)

5. This was asked earlier but may have been glossed over, but are there any special maintenance required for the Edelbrock SC parts? Maybe check lines and hoses to make sure everything is tight and secure?

6. Is the belt snapping and hoses going loose pretty much the only two things that can go wrong with the kit that's user fixable?

7. Does @Counterspacegarage have a BRZ/FRS with the Edelbrock SC (or any SC really) that I can sit in to see what the improvement is like? And when I'm say two days out from making the purchase, possibly have a go behind the wheel to truly get the SC experience? :P To me, every car feels fast when I'm in the passenger seat.

8. @Counterspacegarage Is the Edelbrock kit charged CA sales tax? Didn't see it on the last checkout page of the CSG site so I'm hoping it's a chance to save ~$450

9. How is the Edelbrock shipped? I saw a pallet in one video, so is it by freight? Freight deliveries usually suck since there's never a guaranteed delivery time. I'm not located too far from Torrance, where Edelbrock is located (and assuming it's drop shipped), so hopefully it's something that can be scheduled.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:48 AM   #825
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wow, you weren't kidding I'll try to answer the ones I know and let others chime in.

Quote:
1. I've been an avid OFT user so the way Ecutek works is a bit confusing. There's mention that the CARB kit (with tuner) includes the Ecutek cable, dongle and tune. Is the dongle the license that's tied to the ECU?
Sort of, the way I understand it, the dongle allows you to use the Ecutek software (you plug it in one of your USB slots) while the license is tied to your ECU, which basically gets used once you flash your ECU.

Quote:
2. If I end up leaving the BRZ and reselling the Edelbrock kit separately, what parts of the Ecutek tuner kit can be resold? Just the cable?
I think they can use the cable, but I believe they will need to buy another Ecutek license and ask Edelbrock for the appropriate tune for their car.

Quote:
4. Are there any other recommended upgrades one should make to accommodate the Edelbrock SC? I've read about maybe an upgraded clutch and oil cooler. I never launch my car or go WOT often and have 30k on my car now (why even get a SC then right? haha)
Unless you plan on taking your car to the track, in which an oil cooler would be recommended, don't think you need anything else. For daily driving, some suggest a catch can, but even that is more of a "nice to have but not necessary"

Quote:
5. This was asked earlier but may have been glossed over, but are there any special maintenance required for the Edelbrock SC parts? Maybe check lines and hoses to make sure everything is tight and secure?
I'm still wondering that... cough @Edelbrock LLC (yes, I'm gonna keep tagging you until you answer my question), but its still good to check your lines regardless, I did even when I was stock

Quote:
9. How is the Edelbrock shipped? I saw a pallet in one video, so is it by freight? Freight deliveries usually suck since there's never a guaranteed delivery time. I'm not located too far from Torrance, where Edelbrock is located (and assuming it's drop shipped), so hopefully it's something that can be scheduled.
Yes, it comes on a pallet. @The Racers Line can chime in, but I believe their delivery from the factory was very fast and very good.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
The Racers Line (12-29-2015), tracerit (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 02:29 AM   #826
CSG Mike

Quote:

3. Is the Edelbrock 3 year warranty on the supercharger transferrable to the another user? I"ve only seen mention of the powertrain warranty which is not transferrable, but nothing regarding the supercharger unit.

6. Is the belt snapping and hoses going loose pretty much the only two things that can go wrong with the kit that's user fixable?

7. Does @Counterspacegarage have a BRZ/FRS with the Edelbrock SC (or any SC really) that I can sit in to see what the improvement is like? And when I'm say two days out from making the purchase, possibly have a go behind the wheel to truly get the SC experience? :P To me, every car feels fast when I'm in the passenger seat.

8. @Counterspacegarage Is the Edelbrock kit charged CA sales tax? Didn't see it on the last checkout page of the CSG site so I'm hoping it's a chance to save ~$450

1. licenses are tied to the ECU. Tunes are tied to the dongle. You get both a license and a dongle/cable with the CARB kits.

2. Everything except the license.

3. Yes, provided the unit is not opened or disassembled.

4. Oil cooler, if you're tracking it. Otherwise, it's good to go out of the box.

5. Nope, it's plug and play, if properly installed.

6. I've not yet seen either happen on an Edelbrock kit. Leave the belt snapping to systems with badly/incorrectly engineered belt drives.

7. No, but there are a LOT of forum members who have had it installed by CSG that can vouch for the kit.

8. hmmmmm

9. It's delivered to you, via freight, with liftgate service. You usually get a 2 or 3 hour window in which it'll be delivered. The pallet can easily be lifted by two adults. Local pickup at Edelbrock is not available. Shipping is, however, free, so you might as well take advantage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
CxG (01-21-2016), tracerit (12-29-2015)

Tags
boost, byebye jackson racing, e-force, edelbrock, forced induction, supercharger