follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
brillo

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ECU pulls timing at high oil temps?

Perrin and others have hinted at the fact the the stock ECU pulls timing and reduces power if the oil temps exceed around 225f. I don't think I've seen this issue discussed in detail. While I know a stock syntethic oil can handle temps greater than 225f (Amsoil said they weren't concerned about temps of 260-280f), it appears the engine considers this unsafe for a reason other than lubrication.

Is this a function of the high compression and DI? Is the oil used to cool the pistons? I don't believe that the ECUtek can tune this out (not sure I would want it to either), but I'd be curious to see what the reasons could be.

I know the 370z has similar issues as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
so26

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't recall them saying that it was actually pulling timing.
so26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
brillo

Perhaps I heard that from someone else, ill have to go back and re read their thread
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm of the belief if your plans are to really run this car hard in all conditions with a lot of bolt ons for power , that we will see that it needs a stand alone ECU.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Perhaps Subaru/Toyota was concerned about thermal runaway, where the heat completely overwhelms the cooling system without a chance for recovery. If so, then perhaps they programmed the ECS to avoid any possibility of encountering this situation. HKS found a problem with the oil temps as well. See the writeup on this link:

http://ft86speedfactory.com/hks-s-ty...42a0a5aeecb8b9

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brillo View Post
Perrin and others have hinted at the fact the the stock ECU pulls timing and reduces power if the oil temps exceed around 225f. I don't think I've seen this issue discussed in detail. While I know a stock syntethic oil can handle temps greater than 225f (Amsoil said they weren't concerned about temps of 260-280f), it appears the engine considers this unsafe for a reason other than lubrication.

Is this a function of the high compression and DI? Is the oil used to cool the pistons? I don't believe that the ECUtek can tune this out (not sure I would want it to either), but I'd be curious to see what the reasons could be.

I know the 370z has similar issues as well.
Which viscosity was Amsoil referring to? 0W20 is pretty thin as temperatures increase. I could see a xW40 working well at those temperatures but amsoil's 0w20 may have a better VI then I'm expecting.

Everyone seems to want to add an oil cooler, has anyone investigated adding a larger oil pan? The increased dwell time may be enough for most applications.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
brillo

I specifically asked about the 0w-20 as that is our stock spec.
Calum (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
markitect

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
All I've seen is speculation. Has anyone actually checked. Torque can show both oil temp and timing advance. Can someone going to a track investigate this further?
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Which viscosity was Amsoil referring to? 0W20 is pretty thin as temperatures increase. I could see a xW40 working well at those temperatures but amsoil's 0w20 may have a better VI then I'm expecting.

Everyone seems to want to add an oil cooler, has anyone investigated adding a larger oil pan? The increased dwell time may be enough for most applications.
Before I say this, its fine to run whatever oil you like, and what I am about to say is ONLY my opinion, so dont get offended:

Not to bust open the oil can, but you do know that 0w20 usually has a better additive pack than most Xw40s, right?

I track mine heartily on 0w20 in AZ heat, I just use the top notch stuff. I'm actually scared to increase the pressures on valve gear at redline using a thicker oil. Ester based vs non ester based matters more to me than the SAE rating. Same with Moly and zinc content- ol skool flat tappet upbringing.

I've considered both 0w30 and 0w40 and couldnt find a rational reason to use or recommend a thicker oil for the FA20's internal clearances.

idemitsu, eneos, motul and subaru or toyota factory all have great fortifiers and are spec'd right for our engine. Keeping the oil cool is key, so a cooler helps more than a bigger sump. Starvation doesnt seem to be an issue like with my m3. When using a oil cooler, a 0w20 will take advantage of the cooler better as it can transfer heat faster than a Xw40, so $50 says if I run both oils same car same track, my car will run hotter with the heavier weight oil, just sayin.

(grease proof flame suit on!)
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
brillo

would love to see a data log if someone has one on a dyno or the street/track showing oil temps and ignition timing after the car has heat soaked properly.
Calum (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
Before I say this, its fine to run whatever oil you like, and what I am about to say is ONLY my opinion, so dont get offended:

Not to bust open the oil can, but you do know that 0w20 usually has a better additive pack than most Xw40s, right?

I track mine heartily on 0w20 in AZ heat, I just use the top notch stuff. I'm actually scared to increase the pressures on valve gear at redline using a thicker oil. Ester based vs non ester based matters more to me than the SAE rating. Same with Moly and zinc content- ol skool flat tappet upbringing.

I've considered both 0w30 and 0w40 and couldnt find a rational reason to use or recommend a thicker oil for the FA20's internal clearances.

idemitsu, eneos, motul and subaru or toyota factory all have great fortifiers and are spec'd right for our engine. Keeping the oil cool is key, so a cooler helps more than a bigger sump. Starvation doesnt seem to be an issue like with my m3. When using a oil cooler, a 0w20 will take advantage of the cooler better as it can transfer heat faster than a Xw40, so $50 says if I run both oils same car same track, my car will run hotter with the heavier weight oil, just sayin.

(grease proof flame suit on!)
No, I hadn't looked at the additive packages, thanks for the heads up. I just went with Amsoil's Signature Series 0W20 as I don't plan to track my car, and the ambient temp here doesn't get very high.

You're tracking with an oil cooler which is regulating the temperature to, or close to, ideal. Have you tracked without the oil cooler? If so, did the oil pressure drop off as the temperature climbed?

With the larger pan I was thinking the oil's longer dwell time would allow it to cool more before it was reintroduced into the oil circuit. For applications like mine that might be enough, even for the occasional track day.

The last car I modded was actually pretty infamous for having oil that never got hot enough if you ran an aftermarket oil sump. One after a few hard laps would the oil finally get fully up to temperature.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brillo View Post
I specifically asked about the 0w-20 as that is our stock spec.
Good to know, especially considering I'm running their oil.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
jr429
Banned

Drives: R35 GTR/997.1 Turbo/MB W212/Tucson
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
Perhaps Subaru/Toyota was concerned about thermal runaway, where the heat completely overwhelms the cooling system without a chance for recovery. If so, then perhaps they programmed the ECS to avoid any possibility of encountering this situation. HKS found a problem with the oil temps as well. See the writeup on this link:

http://ft86speedfactory.com/hks-s-ty...42a0a5aeecb8b9
Why would this happen? The motor is not a lithium ion battery...
jr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The ECU pulls the IAM back at high loads, we noticed this during the marathon road test/tune for the turbo kit. It puts timing back in once loads decrease. Now, high engine load would have the oil temperatures/coolant temperature increasing as well due to the situations you'd see that high engine load figures, so attributing the timing being pulled to oil temps would be bad science.

Given that one of the situations where we saw the timing being pulled (temporarily) was in the mountains at near freezing temps, and that at that particular time the oil/coolant temps were not going up much (in contrast to the desert testing), we'd not point our fingers at the oil temps being the cause at this time.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AVOturboworld For This Useful Post:
brillo (03-05-2013), Calum (03-05-2013), Sportsguy83 (03-05-2013)