follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #15
sfdai0

Drives: S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yea, I have this clunking noise too at low speeds. It happens whether the ground is flat or bumpy. Like OP, cant tell at high speeds due to cabin noise. Also have a rattle above 5k RPMs that souds like its coming from the shifter area. I have 1700 miles on my 2017 86. Pretty disappointed.
sfdai0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #16
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdai0 View Post
Yea, I have this clunking noise too at low speeds. It happens whether the ground is flat or bumpy. Like OP, cant tell at high speeds due to cabin noise. Also have a rattle above 5k RPMs that souds like its coming from the shifter area. I have 1700 miles on my 2017 86. Pretty disappointed.
Grab that shifter, and reverse lockout ring good when it happens, to hear if it changes. If it does, it could be caused by a small spacer that likes to dance around. There is some info regarding that particular noise.

Don't let the little noises take the pleasure away from your ride. I'm a picky sonuvabish and sometimes they get to me, but then I just get the driving pleasure good feeling and I forget (especially when I've just put 2017 suspension on my 2014).

Not telling anybody to just drown the noise in music either; think of it as just a "project", but get to it.

Back to topic, I haven't located my source just yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #17
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
hmmmm….point well taken....

If it is discovered that the clunking was caused by something lose under the trunk floor …… I'm ah gonna @ImADuck.

humfrz
It's ok, yer old we expect it
Old 07-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #18
ImADuck

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
It could be something as simple as the jack or one of the things under the rear floor have come loose. Lift the cover, pull everything and reseat them in their respective spots.
I did previously move things around a bit under the trunk floor. It doesn't seem to be it but, maybe I just didn't seat it back properly? It's in the shop now, I should have an update from the Subaru dealer later today.
Quote:
hmmmm….point well taken....

If it is discovered that the clunking was caused by something lose under the trunk floor …… I'm ah gonna @ImADuck.

humfrz
Don't worry, I'll slap myself if that ends up being the cause... I'm just mainly confused why it would make the noise even on flat ground and sometimes 4 or 5 times in rapid succession. It really sounds like a loose bolt to me, but we'll see.
ImADuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ImADuck For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #19
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImADuck View Post
I did previously move things around a bit under the trunk floor. It doesn't seem to be it but, maybe I just didn't seat it back properly? It's in the shop now, I should have an update from the Subaru dealer later today. Don't worry, I'll slap myself if that ends up being the cause... I'm just mainly confused why it would make the noise even on flat ground and sometimes 4 or 5 times in rapid succession. It really sounds like a loose bolt to me, but we'll see.
Maybe your trunk monkey is messen with you... ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #20
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
It's ok, yer old we expect it
Yep, I'll take a "senior moment" on that one …

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #21
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
..the shifter rattle is nothing, I've read many people having similar rattles from their S2000 or Miata, both of which use a derivative of same the manual gearbox that the 86 uses.

this car has very thin sheet metal and no sound insulation, what did you expect to be disappointed about? the best piece of advice with this platform is unless the car drives funny just disregard it...get a louder exhaust or get a subwoofer and turn it up...
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #22
sfdai0

Drives: S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
..the shifter rattle is nothing, I've read many people having similar rattles from their S2000 or Miata, both of which use a derivative of same the manual gearbox that the 86 uses.

this car has very thin sheet metal and no sound insulation, what did you expect to be disappointed about? the best piece of advice with this platform is unless the car drives funny just disregard it...get a louder exhaust or get a subwoofer and turn it up...
Ive owned a S2000 and that transmission is rock solid. Why would I ignore issues on a new car when its clear its a issue that can be fixed. I have no issue with a loud cabin, but knocking and rattle noises arent supposed to be normal.

Either way Im having the techs look at it.
sfdai0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #23
HKz
Reformed

Quote:
Ive owned a S2000 and that transmission is rock solid. Why would I ignore issues on a new car when its clear its a issue that can be fixed. I have no issue with a loud cabin, but knocking and rattle noises arent supposed to be normal.

Either way Im having the techs look at it.
this is a much cheaper car than your S2000. plus, just do a google search, plenty of 86/S2000/Miata threads out there with the same issue, it is a hit or miss that has no impact on drivability. My 2016 FRS shifter didn't exhibit any sounds for the first 10 K miles, then I got some rattling in 2nd gear above 6 K RPMs from time to time and now for the past 20 K miles I haven't heard it since. I've never had any shifting problems either before or after the sounds. I'll tell ya, out of the hundreds of threads I've read on this forum about the shifter rattling, absolutely NO ONE has solved it. Some people have managed to get their dealer to replace their entire transmission due to the noise only for it to come back!

None of what you're saying is an issue. This is exactly like the direct injection and HPFP chirping sounds that you'll hear as well. Just drive bruh...if ya don't want/like the cheapness of the twins then ya should've gotten a 2 series
Old 07-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #24
humfrz

Quote:
Well, now, sfdai0 that's too bad you feel disappointed...

Question: Has a short shifter been installed?

Do you have any other mods?

You might consider changing the transmission oil with an aftermarket product .. that might help ..

Keep in mind that with only 1700 miles, the transmission is just starting to get broke in … it may smooth out in time.

I hope it settles down for you.

humfrz
Old 07-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #25
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I had that too, then i realize it was my oem audio amp enclosure in the trunk...

Cuz when i took the damn thing off on track i never heard it... >_>
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #26
HKz
Reformed

Quote:
Well, now, sfdai0 that's too bad you feel disappointed...

Question: Has a short shifter been installed?

Do you have any other mods?

You might consider changing the transmission oil with an aftermarket product .. that might help ..

Keep in mind that with only 1700 miles, the transmission is just starting to get broke in … it may smooth out in time.

I hope it settles down for you.

humfrz
it comes from the shfiter itself, nothing inside the gearbox so changing trans oil isn't going to do anything. There was a TSB for this on the early MYs but I don't think it made any difference and Toyota hasn't bothered trying to submit a new TSB probably because it isn't detrimental to actually shifting http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...shifter+rattle
Old 07-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #27
ImADuck

Garage
UPDATE: They found a loose bolt that was causing the noise. Not sure which, but I'll ask when I go to pick my car tonight. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 07-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #28
ImADuck

Garage
*loose suspension bolt