follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #4327
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'll try to work with that FT86 one, but the perspective is going to make it a huge PITA.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #4328
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars2 View Post
Wondering if it's only me that find out that it look like FT 86 Speedfactory UEL is superior after ploting both on same file. specialy considering it has a 166 whp base line vs 170 whp for the nameless.
Look to me that their is only in the range of 4200rpm to 6200 rpm where the nameless make a couple more whp.
In the deep the Nameless just get killed by the other uel one at top end also.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1644
All tuners are not created equal so its hard to say that this is true from the graphs. For mine I'm looking at a different tuner that should net me more gains.

Rather hard to compare the graphs that you linked as they are pictures of the graphs.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #4329
Mars2

Drives: GT86, AUDI RS2, VW T5 R32 Vortech
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Not that hard you take gain value at each 500 rpm and put in excell sheet.
Then you can get get a rough idea. let's say with a tolerence of 2 whp
Mars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #4330
SCharged

Drives: asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It says a lot about the quality of the ft86SF part that we're even having the discussion.. I think the nameless part is also good, but doesn't quite live up to the hype it had built up.. But then again, people don't have reasonable expectations with this car. It's actually funny how people got carried away without nameless fuelling the fire much before release..

I had to make a choice recently and ended up going the SF way, mostly because I was willing to sacrifice 2-3 hp up top to keep the cat, flatten the tq curve, get the rumble, and save a couple hundred.
SCharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #4331
verts

Drives: '13 6MT Raven FRS
Finally popped the CEL last night, OFT arrived though so will be fixing that shortly when I have some time.

Another local guy here (not sure if he's on here or not) with the intercooled innovate supercharger is throwing his nameless header on right away, will try to get some kind of results from him if I see him in the next couple weeks.
verts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #4332
DatApex

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCharged View Post
It says a lot about the quality of the ft86SF part that we're even having the discussion.. I think the nameless part is also good, but doesn't quite live up to the hype it had built up.. But then again, people don't have reasonable expectations with this car. It's actually funny how people got carried away without nameless fuelling the fire much before release..

I had to make a choice recently and ended up going the SF way, mostly because I was willing to sacrifice 2-3 hp up top to keep the cat, flatten the tq curve, get the rumble, and save a couple hundred.
It doesn't, really. It just says a lot about brand loyalty.

There isn't enough data from either to come to any conclusions. Just circumstantial evidence from multiple tuners and multiple car setups.

Until both headers are put on the same car, dynoed the same day, and tuned by the same experienced tuner these discussions are a waste of time, IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
DatApex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DatApex For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #4333
SCharged

Drives: asphalt fr-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatApex View Post
It doesn't, really. It just says a lot about brand loyalty.

There isn't enough data from either to come to any conclusions. Just circumstantial evidence from multiple tuners and multiple car setups.

Until both headers are put on the same car, dynoed the same day, and tuned by the same experienced tuner these discussions are a waste of time, IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Well it's not like anyone is comparing the nameless to a borla... What I meant is that if they're close enough for the discussion to be hapenning, I think it is rather a win for FT86SF, as they were able to put a product out quicker, at a lower price point, and that doesn't require a tune (and which has the subjective ''benefit'' of a sought after soundtrack).

But I agree that a rigurous assessment of both side by side would be needed to confirm this. I'm managing my own expectations for the FT86SF one that I have on order, since I find their own dyno chart hard to believe.. 15hp peak w/o tune with no other bolt ons and a torque dip that is completely gone, not just intact but moved lower in the rev range.
SCharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #4334
DatApex

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCharged View Post
Well it's not like anyone is comparing the nameless to a borla... What I meant is that if they're close enough for the discussion to be hapenning, I think it is rather a win for FT86SF, as they were able to put a product out quicker, at a lower price point, and that doesn't require a tune (and which has the subjective ''benefit'' of a sought after soundtrack).

But I agree that a rigurous assessment of both side by side would be needed to confirm this. I'm managing my own expectations for the FT86SF one that I have on order, since I find their own dyno chart hard to believe.. 15hp peak w/o tune with no other bolt ons and a torque dip that is completely gone, not just intact but moved lower in the rev range.
I find the few dynos posted regarding that specific header slightly suspect as well. I wouldn't really call it a win, though. A sketchy dyno chart is hardly proof.

Personally, I tend to trust Nameless as a company more than FT86SF. The few interactions I've had with their staff always leave a VERY bitter taste in my mouth. Nameless, while maybe not the most present on the forums, has ALWAYS answered my calls and emails very quickly and thoroughly. So, I'm more than willing to admit I'm a tad biased against FT86SF for the way they treat their customers.

But anyway, on topic, my coated header should be shipping out sometime next week. I'll be trying to get 4 dynos:

1. Baseline, no tune (full original Nameless 2.5" headerback with trackpipe as only power mods)
2. Same setup as baseline, with a tune (won't spend TOO much time on this, but I'm curious the untuned/tuned differences on the same car)
3. Header installed, no tune
4. Header installed, with tune
DatApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:52 AM   #4335
John@Nameless
Hand built in the USA

Drives: 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8R
I just wanted to pop in here really quick with a few points on our header, I noticed a couple critics basing their arguments on tunes from other shops.

During the development of this header, we spent literally over a week on the dyno (24 hours x 5 days) over the course of testing finding the right combination of both physical design and tuning parameters. If you take your car to a tuner who has no experience with our header and they finish a tune for it in 30-60 minutes, you haven't got the most out of it. Every tuner we have worked with has told us the parameters required to make the most power are well outside what they normally tune to.

We have a few tuners around the country we have worked with on the header, get in touch with us if you want more info on that.

We also offer an off the shelf tune for it in case you all didn't know.

As always, if you have a question or opinion you want to share with us, call us at 360.263.5001 or email us at sales@namelessperformance.com and we will be more than happy to chat for a while.

Thank you,
John @ Nameless Performance Inc.
John@Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John@Nameless For This Useful Post:
Craig (05-10-2014), Marchy (05-12-2014), Ryan@Nameless (05-12-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 02:00 AM   #4336
Mars2

Drives: GT86, AUDI RS2, VW T5 R32 Vortech
may be you could give a list of those tuner here
Mars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #4337
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@Nameless View Post
I just wanted to pop in here really quick with a few points on our header, I noticed a couple critics basing their arguments on tunes from other shops.

During the development of this header, we spent literally over a week on the dyno (24 hours x 5 days) over the course of testing finding the right combination of both physical design and tuning parameters. If you take your car to a tuner who has no experience with our header and they finish a tune for it in 30-60 minutes, you haven't got the most out of it. Every tuner we have worked with has told us the parameters required to make the most power are well outside what they normally tune to.

We have a few tuners around the country we have worked with on the header, get in touch with us if you want more info on that.

We also offer an off the shelf tune for it in case you all didn't know.

As always, if you have a question or opinion you want to share with us, call us at 360.263.5001 or email us at sales@namelessperformance.com and we will be more than happy to chat for a while.

Thank you,
John @ Nameless Performance Inc.
Awesome, that means you can finally post some before and after numbers!
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #4338
Craig

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Nameless has become less and less interactive on this forum because of the way everyone jumps down their throat. It's like everyone expected to see a 50whp/1000wtq increase and are raged that its not here.

Keep your expectations realistic, Nameless makes amazing products... and yes they cost more than most of the alternatives. You get what you pay for though, they spent a year on this header and its putting up arguably the best numbers on the field. Hop off their ****s and let them get back to welding.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #4339
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Not to mention that they're busy, and if you want solid communication, then call them.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #4340
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatApex View Post
But anyway, on topic, my coated header should be shipping out sometime next week. I'll be trying to get 4 dynos:

1. Baseline, no tune (full original Nameless 2.5" headerback with trackpipe as only power mods)
2. Same setup as baseline, with a tune (won't spend TOO much time on this, but I'm curious the untuned/tuned differences on the same car)
3. Header installed, no tune
4. Header installed, with tune
I'll be interested with the results from this as well. See if it lines up with mine. It will be interesting to see what differences you get with 2.5" vs the 3" exhaust.

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag