follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #2787
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hello all.. Big time, older car guy here..
After owning 4 corvettes over the last 14 years, I recently sold my 08 C6 and my E36 M3.. I am without a fun car to play with. While I enjoyed the torque and HP from these rides... My retired lifestyle and 2 grand kids made me keep a beater car around all the time for real life situations..
I'm not into track days anymore.. And I don't want two many cars to maintain..
So I'm thinking about getting the FRS as my one and only daily driver..
It has a seat in the rear for the two monkeys if need be.. Seems like it would be more fun to drive in the real world.. Don't get me wrong the vette is a hoot..
But u can't put ur foot in it for more than a second or two without breaking many laws.. I hate the fat ass tires too.. Last set cost me $$$$..
I want something I can run up to redline from time to time without white knuckles and paranoia.. It's almost impossible to explore the limits of these cars on the street.
So I have the FRS at the top of my list.. Sat in one but didn't drive it yet..
I fit in it no problem being 6'3... And I like everything about its handling characteristics from what I read.. So I think this should be a fun car for me.. And be a good daily driver... More fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow... Hope to contribute to this forum and learn a few things as well...
Thanks for listening...
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
scary alien (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #2788
Sh944
Unwashed Heathen

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My background is similar to yours, except substitute "Porsche" for "Corvette". You exactly nailed the essence of the FR-S with your comment about driving a slow car fast. Its a hoot and a half to buzz around on the streets in the FR-S, whereas the same driving techniques in my Porsche's would have had my drivers license revoked a LONG time ago.

You can pretty much write off the backseat idea unless your monkeys have no legs.

Scion et al put the focus on fun with the FR-S and in my opinion, they got it right. Its not the "best of" in any performance category but the package has a very nice balance to it.

Regards, ...Scott
Sh944 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sh944 For This Useful Post:
Mikem53 (04-10-2013), scary alien (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #2789
Gimagination
Girls ♥ FR-S

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
In love with my FR-S ♥

I just got my pearl white FR-S and I'm absolutely in love with it. I named her Juliet.
Are there any girls like me who own a GT86? Actually for some reason I think that it looks very feminine. I got many compliments already, and I only had her for a week and a half.
I got the manual transmission and I already had lots of fun! I can't wait to learn more and more about cars, specially get to know my FR-S. I plan on working on her and maybe turbo charge her in the future
I am graduating from college in May and I just got a job, so I couldn't give myself a better gift!

Juliet ♥

FR-S, WRX, 335is
Gimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gimagination For This Useful Post:
Linniea (04-09-2013), scary alien (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #2790
Kilos6

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout MT
Hello all. My name is justin from san diego. i have a 94 fd(project car) and traded in my 2010 rx8 for my whiteout frs I absolutely love the frs and actually handled better than the rx8 did even with the tein flex coilovers I had on it. Unfourtunately as on Saturday I got into a head on collision while driving home from washing my car by a Volvo s60. The driver came from the opposite direction, across 3 lanes of traffic before hitting me *almost* head on. If the frs didn't handle as well as it does it would've been alot worse. Ill be finding out today whether or not she's totaled. If she is ill be buying another one. I'm absolutely in love with this car.
Kilos6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #2791
boead

Drives: FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Hello all.. Big time, older car guy here..
After owning 4 corvettes over the last 14 years, I recently sold my 08 C6 and my E36 M3.. I am without a fun car to play with. While I enjoyed the torque and HP from these rides... My retired lifestyle and 2 grand kids made me keep a beater car around all the time for real life situations..
I'm not into track days anymore.. And I don't want two many cars to maintain..
So I'm thinking about getting the FRS as my one and only daily driver..
It has a seat in the rear for the two monkeys if need be.. Seems like it would be more fun to drive in the real world.. Don't get me wrong the vette is a hoot..
But u can't put ur foot in it for more than a second or two without breaking many laws.. I hate the fat ass tires too.. Last set cost me $$$$..
I want something I can run up to redline from time to time without white knuckles and paranoia.. It's almost impossible to explore the limits of these cars on the street.
So I have the FRS at the top of my list.. Sat in one but didn't drive it yet..
I fit in it no problem being 6'3... And I like everything about its handling characteristics from what I read.. So I think this should be a fun car for me.. And be a good daily driver... More fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow... Hope to contribute to this forum and learn a few things as well...
Thanks for listening...
I have had my son (14), daughter and friend (both 16) in the car. The backseat is tight but a few notches up on both seats and there is enough legroom for, ummm, your legs!
The backseat is deep so once you're in its ok, so says the occupants.

There is def a lack of torque that is somewhat annoying (especially if you come from a V8) so you have to keep the revs up which is not instinctual for us but you get use to it. My last DD was an 04 Acura RSX which is similar in many ways. I had a MB E-300 and have an E-320 now which is just no fun to drive.

YES, the FRS is VERY FUN to drive at low speeds too although Ive taken hard turns and ramps at 90 - 120 without any complaints. The car LOVES all speeds except 0-30.
You can launch the car from a stop well but not without making noise and getting attention.
Ive had muscle cars and V8 Mustangs and considered different cars than the FRS but had the same feelings; to powerful for the street to have fun. Im VERY happy with the FR-S!
boead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boead For This Useful Post:
Mikem53 (04-10-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #2792
Gimagination
Girls ♥ FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilos6 View Post
Hello all. My name is justin from san diego. i have a 94 fd(project car) and traded in my 2010 rx8 for my whiteout frs I absolutely love the frs and actually handled better than the rx8 did even with the tein flex coilovers I had on it. Unfourtunately as on Saturday I got into a head on collision while driving home from washing my car by a Volvo s60. The driver came from the opposite direction, across 3 lanes of traffic before hitting me *almost* head on. If the frs didn't handle as well as it does it would've been alot worse. Ill be finding out today whether or not she's totaled. If she is ill be buying another one. I'm absolutely in love with this car.
Oh no I'm sorry to hear that but glad to know you're okay and your FR-S handled it well. Hopefully your insurance gives you a brand new one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gimagination For This Useful Post:
scary alien (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #2793
killroy134

Garage
Hello all! I just got mine in Asphalt color for a daily driver about a week ago. I test drove one back in October and fell in love with it. So glad I decided to buy it. I have had some nice cars in my earlier years and this is by far my favorite of all time! I just put an amplified sub in it over the weekend as my first project, it turned out great! The standard stereo just needs a bit of bass to sound really good! I am one happy FR-S owner!!!
killroy134 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to killroy134 For This Useful Post:
scary alien (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #2794
scary alien

Drives: Asphalt 6AT FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by killroy134 View Post
Hello all! I just got mine in Asphalt color for a daily driver about a week ago. I test drove one back in October and fell in love with it. So glad I decided to buy it. I have had some nice cars in my earlier years and this is by far my favorite of all time! I just put an amplified sub in it over the weekend as my first project, it turned out great! The standard stereo just needs a bit of bass to sound really good! I am one happy FR-S owner!!!
Welcome, fellow Hoosier!

Mine's an Asphalt, too.

scary alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #2795
Linniea

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimagination View Post
Are there any girls like me who own a GT86?
Me!
Linniea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #2796
Gimagination
Girls ♥ FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linniea View Post
Me!
That's awesome!!! What color is yours? Is it MT or AT? And are you around FL? That's where I live, maybe we can do an FR-S meetup!!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #2797
Linniea

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's awesome!!! What color is yours? Is it MT or AT? And are you around FL? That's where I live, maybe we can do an FR-S meetup!!
I have a raven MT and I live in the Destin area
Linniea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #2798
Rachey's FR-S

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt 6MT
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
I just got my pearl white FR-S and I'm absolutely in love with it. I named her Juliet.
Are there any girls like me who own a GT86? Actually for some reason I think that it looks very feminine. I got many compliments already, and I only had her for a week and a half.
I got the manual transmission and I already had lots of fun! I can't wait to learn more and more about cars, specially get to know my FR-S. I plan on working on her and maybe turbo charge her in the future
I am graduating from college in May and I just got a job, so I couldn't give myself a better gift!

Juliet ♥

FR-S, WRX, 335is
Female present!
Rachey's FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #2799
Prs97

Drives: FRS
New to the board.

Hi all,

We just picked up a white FRS and look forward to being on the forum.
Prs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #2800
MrGen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hello everyone, MT Asphalt FR-S checking in from the central valley in California.

waves
MrGen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6mt, bot. report?, frs, notreally, turbo