follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #561
Hachetman

Drives: 2003 MINI Cooper S R53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN69 View Post
Just hit 1000 miles! I must suffer from separation anxiety because I still look back and just stare at my car every time I park. Also, I have never taken as many pictures of a car since I bought my FR-S.
Cannot blame you, it is a really sharp looking car.
Hachetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #562
Hachetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train View Post
Its been just over a year (literally 1 year 9 days) since I got my AT '16 FRS.

I am 9/10 satisfied today. The transmission is really good for what it is, the chassis is great, I love the sound of the FA20, and tbh this is the fastest car I've ever owned/driven. I had looked into other cars like mustang, gen coupe, 370, camaro, etc etc etc, but despite all of these cars having great looks, they didnt captivate me like the FRS. Although the mentioned cars are considerably faster, I didnt quite enjoy them like the FRS either. They were all excellent cars with great value (even though some may disagree), but driving the FRS simply felt better, more confidence inspiring than the others. Going fast in a straight line, and having alot of power and torque for passing is undoubtly fun, but having driven cars with somewhere near 100hp all my life, I didnt feel the need for more power.

Anyways, essentially, I'd like to keep my car for a long time if possible because I've always wanted this car ever since the rumors of its concept started to surface (kinda like a dream car that I can actually afford). Though there are plenty of mods that I want to jump right into I'm resisting with all my might because student life can be financially burdening.

The -1 point is really not the fault of the car itself. Due to my current circumstances, I had to get the car in AT. If it had been in MT, it would've been 10/10. Just to clarify though, I'm very much content with AT, but getting the car in MT would've been the absolute best case scenario. This situation will probably be remedied sometime in the future when FRS/BRZ prices get really low in the used car market. I checked out the new 86 and considered trading in, but the cost difference simply made no sense as I'd be paying 15k difference after all is said and done (my car has 33000km). For that price I'm pretty sure I can find a used one....

So tl;dr ver.: I love the car & will keep it forever, cant wait to actually have enough money to do everything I want, will buy used MT FRS/BRZ sometime in the future and make my FRS/BRZ Satisfaction rating 10/10
At the very least the AT cars get better fuel economy because of the different rear end ratio FWIW. Being automatic would not make me not want the car, I have driven both manual and automatic and both are fantastic.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #563
Hachetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P86RAVES View Post
From what I've been reading from owners, the 2015+ WRX get's damn similar MPGs to the twins.
Making it a tough choice for me. I drove sporty care for years until I bought a TDI Jetta as a family car. Now that VW is buying back the TDI for big bucks and I will have mad cash, doing some hard thinking.

I do like the Twins driving dynamics better than the WRX though....which is saying something as I am a mad fan of the WRX.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #564
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Still mostly happy with the car.

But the community, at least locally, is laughable. Can't say anything negative or else you're a hater. Since when did not liking someone's car become being a hater? Or is it the "everyone's a winner" generation thing?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
frsvr4 (10-18-2016), Hoahao (10-14-2016), P86RAVES (10-24-2016), SLVRSRFR (10-12-2016), soulreapersteve (10-12-2016), weederr33 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #565
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Still mostly happy with the car.

But the community, at least locally, is laughable. Can't say anything negative or else you're a hater. Since when did not liking someone's car become being a hater? Or is it the "everyone's a winner" generation thing?
You get a Participation Award!

Cole (10-12-2016), Dpk3 (11-22-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 02:44 AM   #566
darthpnoy1984

Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just too my 86 for long drive from LA to Fresno, Fresno to SF and vice versa, despite being a stiff ride and suspension I actually didn't feel exhausted at all the seats are quite comfortable almost to what my MK3 Supra used to be now those were plushy comfort seats, the AT actually did really well was able to squeeze 35 MPG in the highway. As for power it didn't struggle through the Grapevine stretch of the I5 it the Fa20 N/A was a champion. I'm actually thinking to where to take her next.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #567
skyline r34

Drives: scion frs
I to keep looking at my frs. I love it in sport mode.
skyline r34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #568
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Well, I traded my FRS in for another one ('17 BRZ), so I guess I like them
Old 10-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #569
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
Well, I traded my FRS in for another one ('17 BRZ), so I guess I like them
Yea buddy. Digging the new bits?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #570
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollosHermanos View Post
Yea buddy. Digging the new bits?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Yep, I am liking the new car. Definitely a decent upgrade, at least coming from an FRS.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:50 AM   #571
adjusts

Drives: Raven Black Scion FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I love these cars. Hope one day I can afford another one just to keep completely stock. I would love to get a feel for what a stock one feels like, it's been too long.

Black (Raven) D4S Scion FRS (Sold)|| Black (CBP) FK8 Civic Type R || Black (BSM) F80 M3 Comp (Sold) || Black (Jet) E46 M3 || Laguna Seca Blue (LSB) E46 M3 (Sold) || Alpine White (AW) E92 M3 || Carrara White 997 GT3RS
adjusts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adjusts For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #572
Mach Midnight
MIDNIGHT

Drives: MY16 Raven
I am realistic in the expectations of this car, and am not making unreasonable demands about it. After I installed the Greddy Supreme SP exhaust, I am 100% satisfied with the car in its role as my daily.
Mach Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #573
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachetman View Post
Making it a tough choice for me. I drove sporty care for years until I bought a TDI Jetta as a family car. Now that VW is buying back the TDI for big bucks and I will have mad cash, doing some hard thinking.

I do like the Twins driving dynamics better than the WRX though....which is saying something as I am a mad fan of the WRX.
It's going to come down to your geography.

The twins handle well and because of their low weight you can carry momentum through a corner with confidence. This is great if you live in a place with many curves, but if you live in a flat area where the only curves you see are pulling a hard right into a gas station you won't get much enjoyment out of the car.

You can feel the weight difference between the twins and WRX during braking and turning, but that's balanced out once you step toe on he gas pedal and it actually does something.

If you're buying new, the WRX is the way to go. Used the FRS will save you about $10k, so the scale is tipped towards that.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #574
LotsaMiles

Drives: Scion FR-s, xB, iA, Silverado Z71 4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
After 110k miles, I still love this car.

The good:
1. The right power to gas mileage formula. BTW, how many people know that the Firebird in Smoky and the Bandit only had 185 HP?
2. Can beat pretty much anything on the road in cornering, especially if you get performance tires.
3. Solid
4. Good road feel. Total confidence on any road.
5. I can get my bass and a bass amp into it.
6. I feel like I'm in a 60's ferarri in this thing.
7. VERY comfortable. I'm 6'1" and even at 62 years old ingress and egress is a snap.
8. Reliable. Nothing has broken and 110k miles and I'm looking to do my first spark plug replacement.
9. Other than performance tires, I have absolutely no need to modify this car. It does everything I want, and I drive over 100 miles of two lane serious twisties every weekday on my commute.

The bad:
1. I had to replace a tail light because I tried to clean out the water with rubbing alcohol. It fogged the plastic.
2. It's picked up a minor whine in the tranny or differential (think it's the latter) at 58-66 mph. But it's not gotten worse.

I expect to own this car until I die. It is worth fixing every time it breaks, even if it means things like replacing the engine. It is just too much of a "timeless" design for me. In 30 years I'll be like that guy still driving his Austin Healy 3000.
LotsaMiles is offline   Reply With Quote