follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2018, 03:42 AM   #29
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,164 Times in 3,461 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Like I did.
Gosh, the last time I saw JPS on car was way back.. a Lotus Esprit.
Attached Images

JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #30
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Gosh, the last time I saw JPS on car was way back.. a Lotus Esprit.
I styled my car in the old John Player Special F-1 livery.
Attached Images

Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (01-19-2018), Dadhawk (01-19-2018), dattran86 (01-19-2018), JD001 (01-19-2018), Leonardo (01-19-2018), Lonewolf (01-19-2018), new2subaru (01-21-2018), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #31
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,164 Times in 3,461 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I styled my car in the old John Player Special F-1 livery.
Very good. It reminds of the ole Hertz Mustangs. Similar stripes.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #32
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
I saw that model and I don't think it's detailed enough to check. I've already discarded the idea due to HVAC interference, but you realize the vent would be recessed under the back of the hood about 4 inches or so towards the front? And the CFD model doesn't consider the radiator airflow, which is the target of the venting. If airflow into the engine compartment is high enough, the firewall can create a high pressure zone too. I'm guessing that is what makes the hood dance at speed.
I haven't seen CFD, or tunnel testing, that did not show the cowl area as a high pressure zone. The turning of the air from a general horizontal, to more vertical direction, causes high pressure.

Granted, there are probably cases where something else is influencing it, and making it low pressure, but i have not seen it.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #33
plucas

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
I haven't seen CFD, or tunnel testing, that did not show the cowl area as a high pressure zone. The turning of the air from a general horizontal, to more vertical direction, causes high pressure.

Granted, there are probably cases where something else is influencing it, and making it low pressure, but i have not seen it.
This is true.

That area of the car is always higher pressure. I am sure there is a way to make it low pressure, but in general, that area is a terrible choice for evacuating air.
plucas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plucas For This Useful Post:
Gunman (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #34
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post

Right, but it's nearly always modeled as the hood running into the windshield as if it's a simple obtuse-angled corner, ignoring the void area that is recessed towards the front of the car and under the rear of the hood. And the influence of an engine bay that has trapped a lot of air that wants to escape is also generally ignored. The Corvette example I pointed to earlier, while it is a different car, demonstrates that the high pressure area doesn't necessarily have to travel below the hood line and towards the front of the car. I'm not trying to say that I'm right, because I do understand your point. I just haven't seen enough to convince me it is 100% factual in this case.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #35
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Right, but it's nearly always modeled as the hood running into the windshield as if it's a simple obtuse-angled corner, ignoring the void area that is recessed towards the front of the car and under the rear of the hood. And the influence of an engine bay that has trapped a lot of air that wants to escape is also generally ignored. The Corvette example I pointed to earlier, while it is a different car, demonstrates that the high pressure area doesn't necessarily have to travel below the hood line and towards the front of the car. I'm not trying to say that I'm right, because I do understand your point. I just haven't seen enough to convince me it is 100% factual in this case.
Going back to your case, I have attached the same picture with some arrows to point out areas.

Red Arrow: Best for evacuation, lowest pressure
Orange Arrow: Good for evacuation, low pressure
Yellow Arrow: Worst place for evacuation on the entire hood. This location has the highest pressure and would result in the least productive evacuation. Likely air would actually make its way *into* the engine bay.

People reduce complexity on CFD models to aid in solving. There are industry standards (followed by OE's, privateers, and race teams) that are accepted because they do not result in incorrect results.

Hope that helps,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
Gunman (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #36
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerusEric View Post
Going back to your case, I have attached the same picture with some arrows to point out areas.

Red Arrow: Best for evacuation, lowest pressure
Orange Arrow: Good for evacuation, low pressure
Yellow Arrow: Worst place for evacuation on the entire hood. This location has the highest pressure and would result in the least productive evacuation. Likely air would actually make its way *into* the engine bay.

People reduce complexity on CFD models to aid in solving. There are industry standards (followed by OE's, privateers, and race teams) that are accepted because they do not result in incorrect results.

Hope that helps,
Eric
I agree, but my aim wasn't to investigate this as the best option. I was looking at is as a possible way to get "some" venting without cutting the stock hood or dealing with aftermarket hoods. Also, the theoretical vent location is not on the surface of the hood, it would be on flat vertical face under the rear of the hood, and recessed about 4" toward the front of the car as measured from the vertical plane at the back edge of the hood.

I don't mind if I'm wrong. I just don't think pointing to the pressure distribution on the top surface of the hood tells the full story, or that the underhood pressure isn't a factor.

Last edited by gtengr; 01-19-2018 at 09:48 PM.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #37
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Defeats the purpose? What is the purpose?
To see the carbon weave. It doesn't sound like OP is making a literal race car, so the carbon is purely cosmetic. That's why I get carbon parts for my car
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NRXRaptor For This Useful Post:
Brink (01-19-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 04:41 AM   #38
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
I was looking at is as a possible way to get "some" venting without cutting the stock hood or dealing with aftermarket hoods.
May I put forward the Beatrush Underpanel. No cutting, modding or replcing of the bonnet required. Proven to work, might even add downforce if claims are correct. Pulls heat directly past and away from the manifold too. Only downside is that it's not cheap, but still cheaper than a modded or aftermarket bonnet.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #39
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
May I put forward the Beatrush Underpanel. No cutting, modding or replcing of the bonnet required. Proven to work, might even add downforce if claims are correct. Pulls heat directly past and away from the manifold too. Only downside is that it's not cheap, but still cheaper than a modded or aftermarket bonnet.
I also thought that might be a good addition.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #40
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,248 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
To see the carbon weave. It doesn't sound like OP is making a literal race car, so the carbon is purely cosmetic. That's why I get carbon parts for my car
For what it's worth, carbon parts can add functionality to street cars, too. To say it is "purely cosmetic" I think is selling carbon short. Maybe that's all he cares about, but true carbon parts bring more to the table than style, regardless of implementation or appreciation.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #41
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree, but my aim wasn't to investigate this as the best option. I was looking at is as a possible way to get "some" venting without cutting the stock hood or dealing with aftermarket hoods. Also, the theoretical vent location is not on the surface of the hood, it would be on flat vertical face under the rear of the hood, and recessed about 4" toward the front of the car as measured from the vertical plane at the back edge of the hood.

I don't mind if I'm wrong. I just don't think pointing to the pressure distribution on the top surface of the hood tells the full story, or that the underhood pressure isn't a factor.
Under hood pressure should be counted for the venting. Pressure difference really makes air move.

I did an experiment for the vent at the cowl area on 2016. With the help of a Gurney flap, at least it blows out some air. I guess a blocking vertical barrier that divides low pressure zone and high pressure zone could help more.

I know it cannot blow out as much air that hood vent can. But could be better than nothing.
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to makinen For This Useful Post:
gtengr (01-20-2018), Pat (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #42
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Or do make your own like this, @gtengr .
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote